BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:08:08 PM   #1
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Default New cracks after reinforcement

Was changing muffler hungers today, front wheel bearing,rear shock mounts, and oil.. Good right? Well to my horror, I found cracks where the subframe meats the wheel well in the back, both left and right, and a Crack near the spring mounts... Needless to say I'm gutted absolutely gutted
crack left.jpg
hairline near spring.jpg
horizonalcrack.jpg
Edit to add my conclusions:
I did not create this thread to cause panic. All I wanted to do was raise awareness:
-If u got cracks, check ur boot floor, I didn't. I just welded plates in and we checked the bottom of the car only, because we didn't know better hairline cracks might have already been there, but we didn't think to check there.
-when u check ur boot floor, check the spot welds on the front and rear mounts, chances are some are broken)popped, which led to the cracks below (root cause of all this crap) reinforce them.
- I did Not have foam either, only plates! I would imagine if I had foamed or filled my racp with resin, perhaps I wouldn't have seen this failure at all, although the resin doesnt reinforce the points where the racp meets the wheel wells or chasse, it simply reinforces the rcap itself, so only time will tell for those with this setup.
- Once u've done all this,or if indeed ur car was intact, get the x bracing action in the back and plates below, and never worry again.
-Once you have exposed the rcap floor, stitch weld the where the fender wells meet the rcap, cracks need to be stop drilled by 1-2 millimeter drill bet and welded. Popped spot welds csn be redone with rosette welds, I chose to stitch weld and do rosettes.
- The shop I worked with this time does race cars and hillclimb m3, what he did was a custom xbracing between the front and rear mounts of the rear subframe and then this x brace was tied down to the frame rails inside the rcap,and from the top tied to the shock towers
-A final note: take it to a prof! Hopefully this thread and others that have been so kindly started by others before me like Vince and the aircraft engineer who both reinforced their racp,hopefully these will help u know what needs to be done,and whether or not the shop that's doing the job knows their sh!t or not
This is what the custom brace looked like :
IMG-20150903-WA0003.jpg

Last edited by HassanEido; Thu, Sep-03-2015 at 04:51:46 PM.
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:26:31 PM   #2
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: New cracks after reinforcement

Pictures?

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:27:46 PM   #3
VinceSE2
FKA VinceSE

In the garage:

Sweden

I'm really sorry for you. Hang in there bud, after all it's just metal and paint.

This unfortunately shows that just reinforcement plates and/or "foam" does nothing to relieve the RACP from transferring the load to the frame rail.
You really need a Mason bar with the xbrace, or something like what I did.

And don't forget the front mounts

Please let me know i can help you in any way.
This issue sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top VinceSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:37:34 PM   #4
PhoenixClave
Play Drums, Drive Ugly Colored Cars.

United States

Very sorry to hear this OP. I personally know the frustrations of these exact problems.

So much so that i had a custom rear bar connecting the shock towers, through the subfloor much like what the gentleman above me did. Good luck....

Trunk floor painted

The more reinforcements on this car the better IMO
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T View Post
Rules of life:

-As long as your are trying, chasing, longing, pawing, everything runs away.

-When you start minding your own business, doing what fulfills you and you enjoy the most, things may start coming to you... as long as you don't have expectations of them, think you are entitled to them.

A butterfly lands on your hand
Close it, you crush it
Leave it open, it may stay or fly away
But you have been blessed for the moments
Be grateful
Jump to top PhoenixClave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:39:30 PM   #5
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

You guys are right, all these plates are doing, is transfer the twisting forces elsewhere.. Thanks for the suggestions.. Now I'll have to splash some more cash or a custom brace and a subframe repair job.. I added pictures in my original post.. My weekend is ruined..

Last edited by HassanEido; Sat, Aug-29-2015 at 04:42:33 PM.
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:40:57 PM   #6
spawn_x

Armenia

Didnt they go to a new floor pan, a slightly thicker one?

that is what the work order on my dealer fix says, even has a part number

sucks though bro.
Jump to top spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:47:58 PM   #7
PhoenixClave

United States

I may be wrong but i feel as if the "new" floor pan you are referring to is the verts subfloor which was slightly thicker.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Quote:
Rules of life:

-When you start minding your own business, doing what fulfills you and you enjoy the most, things may start coming to you... as long as you don't have expectations of them, think you are entitled to them.

Close it, you crush it
Be grateful
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:50:04 PM   #8
PhoenixClave

United States

OP, honestly it seems as if you are looking at a new floor pan. Some of those cracks are pretty long, twisted and frayed. If you recently had the plates installed, the shop didn't see this??? These do not seem like new cracks by a long shot.

Quote:
Rules of life:

Close it, you crush it
Be grateful
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:56:31 PM   #9
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Guys - these pictures do not show RACP failure, which is what plates fix. Rather, we're seeing the REAL problem as far as I'm concerned - the RACP is pulling away from the chassis. No plate will address this - exacerbate if anything.

Only permanent fix is what the two guys above did.

I've got signs of this separation in my current car and even though I did plates and fixed the separation I'm still easy on it until I do the above method.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Sat, Aug-29-2015 at 05:00:20 PM.
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 04:56:54 PM   #10
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

I was under the car a 3 weeks ago...and I can promise u, these weren't there, I'm just gutted..

Last edited by HassanEido; Sat, Aug-29-2015 at 05:06:34 PM.