BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jan-13-2020, 09:33:58 PM   #261
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Default Re: CMP Auto Engineering subframe kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAATS View Post
What fixed back bucket seats are you thinking of mounting with them and are you planning on getting Mod approval?

Currently working through the later stages of my Modification approvals but already thinking ahead to the next stage (CF Roof, race seats, rear seat delete, etc)... so interested in any others who will go through the bureaucracy to make them legal... I see basically all the Velo seats without HANS wings seem to have ADR approval... and obviously stuff like Recaro Pole Positions with TUV approval may get an easier run through here in Aust but I am not sure how say the Cobra Nogaros would go or if i went something more aggresive that didnt already have the ADR stamp... I'm surprised the Velo's have ADR as I cannot see how a 3pt belt could work on them safely but anyway I digress...
Morning Staats,

I did design these off the Velo GP90 & GP90XL. The more eccentric holes for the narrower smaller and vice versa.

I have designed them to comply with the ADR/CAMS requirements however, am yet to look into what's needed to have them certified as ADR compliant. It's something I'd love to be able to offer however, I am unsure whether it's something I'll be able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Almost all fire extinguishers mount using the Amerex bolt pattern-- if you're going to make a fire extinguisher mount, I'd use the bolt pattern. Or, that plug BMW's bolt pattern, for people that want to use the OE fire extinguisher.

That seat mount design looks like it'll only mount medium sized seats centered on the steering wheel-- smaller seats will be inboard biased, larger seats will be outboard biased... and all of them will be pretty far forward (won't work for tall drivers in the furthest back position).
Morning Obioban,

I'll look into the fire extinguisher bolt pattern you mentioned and see if it's much different to what I've designed off.

Here's a link to the one I purchased and took measurements off. It complies with our local motorsport regs and can be purchased almost anywhere in the country for a low price.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fire-sen...isher_p4220934

I'm very surprised you got all that information from a single image.

Looking back over my notes, the mounts will accept the following seat width:

Width range = 405mm min, 445mm max
Seat hole centre range = 285mm - 292mm

That covers your usual Recaro Pole positions and larger seats for larger guys.

The smaller seats within the 405mm - 415mm range (Recaro poly position, Velo GP90) are able to achieve a near spot on centre driving position however, the larger seats will technically be slightly outboard from centre given they cannot be any closer to the trans tunnel. In that case it's simply unavoidable.

Regarding the tall drivers, I'm quite tall myself at ~6'3" (193cm) according to my licence and have designed them to include a single adjustment slot to be further from the wheel than my driving position as I'm taller in the back than legs.

I'd be very surprised if anyone needed to be further from the wheel than that. I personally was quite concerned that they may only be suitable for people who are 6' or greater as they're also positioned in a very low driving position.

This may be the difference between where VELO mount their seats compared to other brands resulting in a different seating position despite the same mount position. If I find someone here in Aus willing to test that theory I'll let you know the outcome.

Last edited by AussieE46M3; Mon, Jan-13-2020 at 09:37:34 PM.
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-13-2020, 10:01:59 PM   #262
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I have tall driver sensitivity

I was assuming they fit smaller seats, when I said small seats would be off center inboard-- I was thinking seats in the 380mm width range.

I mentioned the front/rear thing because in a proper seating position the front mount holes on my seat are 6-7" behind the front floor mount holes for the sliders. That said, the VELO seats may have their mount holes in a different location than my Cobras!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: Intravee and various compatible AI Net components.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-13-2020, 10:20:39 PM   #263
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I have tall driver sensitivity

I was assuming they fit smaller seats, when I said small seats would be off center inboard-- I was thinking seats in the 380mm width range.

I mentioned the front/rear thing because in a proper seating position the front mount holes on my seat are 6-7" behind the front floor mount holes for the sliders. That said, the VELO seats may have their mount holes in a different location than my Cobras!
Oh yeh, nothing that small. 380mm must be incredibly small. The smallest option Velo offer is 400mm wide.
I personally am a slender build at 88kg ~194 Pound and feel incredibly snug in a seat only 415mm wide at the mounting faces.

I feel as if this will accommodate the 90% of users and is a great starting point for a new product.

I simply don't have the turnover to justify designing and holding stock of multiple different versions to accommodate all feasible seats. If it becomes a popular product and the demand is there I can look at doing other sizes beyond this mounts range.
Old Mon, Jan-13-2020, 11:11:53 PM   #264
STAATS

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieE46M3 View Post
Morning Staats,

I did design these off the Velo GP90 & GP90XL. The more eccentric holes for the narrower smaller and vice versa.

I have designed them to comply with the ADR/CAMS requirements however, am yet to look into what's needed to have them certified as ADR compliant. It's something I'd love to be able to offer however, I am unsure whether it's something I'll be able to do.
Cool. Yer I wasn't implying if you were going to put your brackets through an ADR test I more meant when you actually mount some seats using those brackets will you get modification approval for the car you have them in? You don't strictly need ADR parts to get modification approval... Although that said it would be handy if you released enough of the pertinent information on the strength of the brackets in terms of their alignment with ADR/CAMS so that someone could pass that on to their certifying engineering to confirm/approve for DOT to accept as part of a vehicle modification request...

As a complete side note... looking into becoming an accepted Engineering Signatory for DOT would be a smart business move for yourself given the parts you are developing, would allow you to sign off on vehicle modifications which you could then provide as an additional service for the parts you are selling... I actually could have applied to be on the list back just after i graduated based on my 3yrs in FSAE if I could convince them I would still work in the automotive space even if on the side... I have kicked myself everyday since i let that window of opportunity close on me...

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 04:44:00 AM   #265
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAATS View Post
Cool. Yer I wasn't implying if you were going to put your brackets through an ADR test I more meant when you actually mount some seats using those brackets will you get modification approval for the car you have them in? You don't strictly need ADR parts to get modification approval... Although that said it would be handy if you released enough of the pertinent information on the strength of the brackets in terms of their alignment with ADR/CAMS so that someone could pass that on to their certifying engineering to confirm/approve for DOT to accept as part of a vehicle modification request...

As a complete side note... looking into becoming an accepted Engineering Signatory for DOT would be a smart business move for yourself given the parts you are developing, would allow you to sign off on vehicle modifications which you could then provide as an additional service for the parts you are selling... I actually could have applied to be on the list back just after i graduated based on my 3yrs in FSAE if I could convince them I would still work in the automotive space even if on the side... I have kicked myself everyday since i let that window of opportunity close on me...
Oh yeh, 100%. Don't want to risk being defected.

My thinking was that even if they were ADR tested it would still be necessary for the end user to get engineering certification as you technically can't put a fixed bucket into a coupe without having it certified and registered as a 2 seater.

So as you mentioned, if I were to provide sufficient information on the integrity of the mounts anyone should relatively easily be able to get the mounts certified along with the installation.

It's very easy up here in QLD with the modplate system

I personally intend to install them into my cheap little 320ci drift car project I'm hoping to be starting early next month. M3 is staying a mild daily.

Yeh, that is something I've had on my mind for quite some time and certainly something that fits in line with my long term plans.

Up here in QLD they value a bachelors in engineering as the same as a mechanic cert requiring (EDIT) +5 years industry experience in order to apply.

I technically started this business in Sept 2016 which means I may be in a position to do exactly that by the end of next year.

Last edited by AussieE46M3; Tue, Jan-14-2020 at 04:47:18 AM.
Old Mon, Jan-27-2020, 03:11:18 AM   #266
psing23

In the garage:

United States

Any updates on the front splitter?
Old Mon, Jan-27-2020, 11:41:41 PM   #267
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by psing23 View Post
Any updates on the front splitter?
yep, the splitter design is completely done and dusted. FEA tested and everything to be as good as possible.

I'm waiting on a quote back from my supplier before advancing with production from which point should be in my possession within 4 weeks time.

I've just put production on hold for a day as I'm working on a welding bench for the workshop that will require some parts laser cut with this next batch.
Old Fri, Feb-14-2020, 01:41:27 AM   #268
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Hey guys!

I thought I'd make a quick post to share the word that I've released a new website!

https://cmpautoengineering.com/

This new site has our current and some new products in addition to some new tech articles if you'd like to give it a read.

There's also a currency converter drop down in the top bar so you can view it in your local currency than just Aud like in the past. The checkout will revert the amounts back to Aud figures before paying.

Now that that's wrapped up I can go back to focusing on getting those new product ready!
Old Fri, Feb-14-2020, 01:54:56 AM   #269
t3ddftw
The BlueBus Guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieE46M3 View Post
Hey guys!

I thought I'd make a quick post to share the word that I've released a new website!

https://cmpautoengineering.com/

This new site has our current and some new products in addition to some new tech articles if you'd like to give it a read.

There's also a currency converter drop down in the top bar so you can view it in your local currency than just Aud like in the past. The checkout will revert the amounts back to Aud figures before paying.

Now that that's wrapped up I can go back to focusing on getting those new product ready!
Shopify rather than Wordpress with Woo Commerce

Congrats on the new site!

Mods
Engine: Full Beisan Systems VANOS rebuild
Transmission: CDV Delete
Exterior: Smoked Corners | Black Side & Kidney Grills | Painted Reflectors

My Build/OCD thread

I made a Bluetooth module for our cars!
Jump to top t3ddftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-14-2020, 03:28:15 AM   #270
Blaikenstein

In the garage:

United States

Liked the rear monoball blog. Keep it up!
Jump to top Blaikenstein is online now   Reply With Quote