BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-01-2017, 04:27:47 PM   #1
Schitzel

In the garage:

United States

Default DIY - SPAL electric fan constant on wiring

How I wired the SPAL electric fan to turn on with the ignition (bypassing thermostat switch and not requiring front bumper removal) using the parts from this DIY by member infinkc http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=483801 do this at your own discretion blah blah blah

PLEASE let me know if there is something wrong with this method. I am specifically concerned about drawing too much current from the CSL battery and the two grounds potentially being in contact with one another.

Use infinkc's DIY to mount your fan to the stock shroud. If you are going to wire your fan to the ignition, you DO NOT need to punch a hole in your radiator with the thermostat.

Make sure you get the nuts and bolts required to mount your fan to the shroud. You will also need a drill and some way to cut the metal brackets.

Tools needed for the wiring:

T25 torx
10mm socket
6' of 600V wire
Wire looming

Now, to wire the relay:

In any order,

1. The green wire goes to the relay box in the top right corner of your engine bay, under the black plastic cover held down by 4 T25 torx screws. I had to tap in an additional length of wire to run around the edge of the engine bay, from the green wire on the relay (installed near where the secondary air pump is located). You can use the same wiring path as the one that's already there, under the plastic air ducting, on top of the radiator, above the headlight, outside the LCM, etc. I used wire looming and zip ties to secure.

Tap the green wire from the relay to the red wire with the white stripe and the yellow tracers, pictured here and in the mounting DIY.

2. The yellow wire would normally go to the thermostat. Because this method does not use the thermostat switch, you do not need to use this wire. I cut it, sealed the end with heat and electric tape, and used the extra wire for grounding negative terminal of the fan.

3. The negative terminal of the fan needs to be grounded. I chose to use the bolt(s) shown in the picture. They are found on the front left side of your engine bay.
NOTE: I used the bit of yellow wire that I cut off the relay for this. The yellow wire on the relay is not grounded, it can be ignored if you are not going to use the thermostat switch.

4. The thick, orange wire goes to the positive terminal of the fan, easy enough.

5. The thick, red wire goes to the positive terminal in your engine bay, under the plastic cover.

6. The small black wire also needs to be grounded, I chose to use the bolt next to the one where the negative terminal of the fan is grounded.

Clean up, install as desired. Because I'm testing it out, I zip tied the relay to the bracket where the secondary air pump used to be. Wires were combined with where looming where possible and secured.

Again, if you suspect that there may be some issue with this method please comment or pm. After a few days of it I've noticed that the engine temp is lower, and after a cooling system overhaul, so is the coolant temp. However, potentially unrelated, my car went into limp mode and had a very rough idle after an hour drive on the interstate yesterday. Not an issue with the ignition coils, every cylinder was firing. The battery was at 85% last night per a battery tender and the car drove perfectly today and last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3400.JPG (30.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3401.JPG (31.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3403.JPG (34.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3404.JPG (37.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3406.JPG (33.3 KB, 34 views)

2003.5 Jet/Cinn 6MT

Eibach Borla Rouge Beisan Powerflex Valentine SPAL
Jump to top Schitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Sep-26-2017, 06:57:52 PM   #2
Schitzel

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DIY - SPAL electric fan constant on wiring

I assume someone would've corrected me if I had done this incorrectly? I drove my M3 halfway across the country with this setup and it worked wonderfully - temps lower than ever in combination with the new water pump and mishimoto radiator

2003.5 Jet/Cinn 6MT

Eibach Borla Rouge Beisan Powerflex Valentine SPAL
Jump to top Schitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-27-2017, 02:28:02 AM   #3
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DIY - SPAL electric fan constant on wiring

Temps how low? It's pretty important to have the motor in operating range. My Spal kicks on at 216 and shuts off at 196ish if I recall. It runs in sequence with my aux fan. Normally about 30-40 second bursts at idle. Moving keeps it all cool.

You could wire a toggle to switched power, that way you can hit op temp, then kick the can on all the time and when the car is off, it'll shut the fan down even if you forget to kill the switch. (Though the Spal is loud)

The initial amperage draw is high, but it drops once it's kicking.