BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 08:03:11 PM   #41
cozmo kraemer

United States

Default Re: My custom exhaust journy begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpiper12 View Post
2.5" dual all the way will retain the raspy/metallic/tin note. It's also pretty costly for most people, nothing really exists out there.

My sound level is perfect with no drone.
-SS V1 Stepped
-SS V1 Stepped S-Pipe (2 resonators)
-Dual 2.5" to 3.5" single Y-Pipe
-BW 3.5" out with 17" Borla muffler.

My guess is most people can't get over the single exit, but I guess it doesn't bother me. My custom single 3.5" X-Pipe into a SS Street muffler had terrible drone, couldn't stand it.
I have the same headers and a section 1 with cats and resonators. I am wondering if going to the BW 3.5" would be bearable for a street car. I have seen no feedback on using it with cats and resonators in the section 1. I have listened to your videos and I definitely think that sound is great! So I should probably just bite the bullet and get the BW exhaust and switch to the Borla muffler if needed.

Now just to see if we can get someone to make a reasonably priced, stock style, single exit diffuser...it would work perfect!
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 08:33:31 PM   #42
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Awesome dude! So, you def picked up a few HP from just the muffler change then-right???

EDIT: That's some crazy torque too! Why are your HP/Torque lines not intersecting at 5,250rpm's? Scaling may be off slightly?
Yesss I was high-fiving the dyno operator like someone who one the lotto hahaha.

Man my butt dyno is more calibrated than I thought Remember when I said I thought there was a definite switch at 3.5/4k rpms? The dyno graph shows a small dip at 3k rpm then it jumps 30 wtqs at 3.5 then another 20wqts at 4k , then it just freight trains to red line. This just goes to show how much mufflers do affect power. That pre-dyno @339whp was my hero run of that session. I could never break into 340s at all. We tried to cool her down and try again but 339 was all she had in her. The pre dyno session also confirms my 2 earlier dyno sessions since I did cams and tune.
The post muffler session was 335, 342 and 348.4 as the computer adapted. The tuner said that he could add more fuel and it would continue climb past 8k but I'm happy with where she is now. Also we might be able to tune out that small dip at 3k but it's barely anything, 5 6 wtqs maybe? Also I never floor it before it reaches 3k unless I'm in first gear, not a fan of lugging the engine. Besides I'll just wait for the airbox and tune then, but for now, there's an extra 10 whp on tap thanks to this setup Graph looks solid and mid range looks meaty too
Regarding the intersect, the scale for torque is different than hp. notice the left and right axes ( right for torque left for hp), if we set the scale to the same numbers left and right it would be a much taller picture but they would intersect at 5252, this just makes the graph more compact so it fits my crappy phone camera lens while zooming it to get the numbers, then he suggested he to mail the DRF so didn't bother changing the scales again and I just posted the image he mailed me, here's the pic i took
Screenshot_20170217-001910.jpg
Edit:I was just checking a friend's dyno graph with a borla street muffler and stock cams, he has the same pattern at around 3 to 4k when his DRF is at smoothing 1, guess all is well then

Last edited by HassanEido; Thu, Feb-16-2017 at 09:21:13 PM.
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 09:25:58 PM   #43
FK

United States

Damn, I'm cammed and my 345/252 whp seems like nothing. What's your redline?
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 09:31:20 PM   #44
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
Damn, I'm cammed and my 345/252 whp seems like nothing. What's your redline?
Well I'm catless too.. My redline is at 8500 but it makes peak at about 8k
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 09:58:55 PM   #45
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

A little OT/thinking out loud but I wonder if we can get one of the exhaust manufacturers like SS or whomever to make us a 2.5 dual in to single 3.5 inch for section 2. There might be enough people interested in one these days with all the cammed and airbox setups. I would love to have one since I too have the SS V1 and section one. It would be nice to have a setup that would pair with it along with a 2.5 inch tubed muffler.

I don't know who we would contact for something like this but the section 2 seems like it would be easily manufactured. I for one would like a resonator in mine like my current SS x pipe as an option.

Maybe Obioban can contact Supersprint as he seemed pretty close with them. Or maybe Evolve since I think they did a few custom project with SS and also make their own custom
Exhaust pieces.

After seeing the CF driveshaft GB And what people will to do squeeze Hp out of this engine I have faith we could make it happen. I would figure an x pipe would be cheaper than the driveshaft as well.

-My Journal-

Last edited by Brian N; Thu, Feb-16-2017 at 10:02:46 PM.
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 10:05:50 PM   #46
nickpiper12

In the garage:

United States

Default My custom exhaust journy begins

You wouldn't be able to fit a resonator with the 3.5", nor does the 3.5" have any advantages over a 3". Only causes more drone, which most people don't want. I think that's the reason SS went with the 3".
Jump to top nickpiper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 10:07:04 PM   #47
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
A little OT/thinking out loud but I wonder if we can get one of the exhaust manufacturers like SS or whomever to make us a 2.5 dual in to single 3.5 inch for section 2. There might be enough people interested in one these days with all the cammed and airbox setups. I would love to have one since I too have the SS V1 and section one. It would be nice to have a setup that would pair with it along with a 2.5 inch tubed muffler.

I don't know who we would contact for something like this but the section 2 seems like it would be easily manufactured. I for one would like a resonator in mine like my current SS x pipe as an option.

Maybe Obioban can contact Supersprint as he seemed pretty close with them. Or maybe Evolve since I think they did a few custom project with SS and also make their own custom
Exhaust pieces.
Just like I was discussing with Stan the other day, BW sells a street/track y that bolts up to a 2.5 inch sec1, which then clamps to a single 3.5, which the clamps to another Y into dual 2.5s which should bolt up to ur SS race..I'm fabbing coz shipping kills the deal for me..
Y PIPE : http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...-Street-Y.html
MID: http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...ight-Pipe.html
REAR Y: http://www.bimmerworld.com/E46-M3-Ra...et-Y-Pipe.html
But double check with BW on the details of fitment if you were to pull the trigger of course

Last edited by HassanEido; Thu, Feb-16-2017 at 10:10:49 PM.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 10:09:18 PM   #48
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post

Exhaust pieces.

After seeing the CF driveshaft GB And what people will to do squeeze Hp out of this engine I have faith we could make it happen. I would figure an x pipe would be cheaper than the driveshaft as well.
Hey Brian, that's exactly what Hassan and myself are planning...he's going full custom, and I'm buying stuff from BW and fabbing up my own as well.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 10:12:26 PM   #49
nickpiper12

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Just like I was discussing with Stan the other day, BW sells a street/track y that bolts up to a 2.5 inch sec1, which then clamps to a single 3.5, which the clamps to another Y into dual 2.5s which should bolt up to ur SS race..I'm fabbing coz shipping kills the deal for me..
Y PIPE : http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...-Street-Y.html
MID: http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...ight-Pipe.html
REAR Y: http://www.bimmerworld.com/E46-M3-Ra...et-Y-Pipe.html
But double check with BW on the details of fitment if you were to pull the trigger of course

FYI the BW Y-Pipe isn't 2.5" dual, it's stock inner diameter unfortunately.
Jump to top nickpiper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 10:16:00 PM   #50
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpiper12 View Post
FYI the BW Y-Pipe isn't 2.5" dual, it's stock inner diameter unfortunately.
Do they advertise it as 2.5"??? Guess they mean O.D.-lol