BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sun, Apr-22-2018, 09:49:50 PM   #141
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Jared's Daily/Track '02 M3 Convertible

April 21, 2018:

I finally decided to tackle the motor mount job and, well... Yeah. Look at those charred patties.

The AKG 75D poly mounts are so stiff! The vibrations are insane at idle, but even though this is a street car as well as a track car, the track part means more to me . I did notice that my idle doesn't drop when I blip the throttle anymore, so I think the rotation of the engine due to demolished mounts is the culprit. Overall, I'm happy with the result. I'm officially full polyurethane all-around!

I also was test fitting my new exhaust setup as well as prepping my sway bars for install. I'm waiting for my gaskets to arrive from ECS so the exhaust won't be installed by the next track day. I did, however, get the front sway bar installed before becoming too lazy to install the rear bar. Perhaps it was because I was wrenching at 2AM?

She got thirsty on the way home so we stopped to get her a drink:

Jared's Daily/Track '02 M3 Convertible: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=545658

Last edited by JaredMV; Mon, Apr-23-2018 at 06:41:43 PM.
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-23-2018, 12:47:57 AM   #142
muhli

United States

Interested to hear what the exhaust sounds like!
Old Thu, Apr-26-2018, 02:27:54 PM   #143
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhli View Post
Interested to hear what the exhaust sounds like!
You're telling me! I just got all my gaskets in from ECS and I'll bolt it all in after track day.

Jared's Daily/Track '02 M3 Convertible: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=545658
Old Tue, May-01-2018, 02:34:32 PM   #144
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

April 29, 2018:

Another track day at Thunderhill under my belt, this time I moved up to low intermediate. I did beat my personal best, which is now 1:35.499 (and during that lap I had a passenger in the car, along with the top down). I'm still building up the funds for some track tires, so until then the Indy 500s are my all-purpose tires. So far these have been the best tire I've run, though I don't recall ever having the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2s on a good alignment so I can't be too certain.

I don't think I will buy another set of HP+ pads for the track once these are toast. They bite really hard, but they tend to get spongy when they heat up which totally throws off my heel/toe abilities. I guess my only issue is how unpredictable the brake pedal feels with these pads in - sometimes the travel is short and sometimes it's a football field.

Up next!
- Install rear Eibach sway bar
- Replace passenger side fog light shroud
- Install new exhaust setup
- Sell Magnaflow exhaust
- Sell other parts laying around
- Save for track tires

DIY Gas Door Latch

Smiles per gallon

The cru

Old Fri, May-04-2018, 07:38:52 PM   #145
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

May 4, 2018:

Because rod bearing failures scare the living s#!t out of me, I think it's a good idea to build an oil pressure gauge setup to monitor - you guessed it - my oil pressure. What's silly is I can't read oil pressure or oil temp through OBD2 so I can't have those gauges on my phone. Since I have a temp gauge on the dash, I'm mostly worried about oil pressure. Here's a diagram that some dumb kid that thinks he's an engineer drew up:

To start, I'll buy the Rally Road oil gauge adapter block from Turner Motorsport. It features a M12x1.5 thread fitting for the OEM pressure switch to keep that functionality. The block then provides a 1/8" NPT female port for the pressure sender. Bimmerworld makes an adapter block as well, but that's almost twice as expensive and features 2 1/8" threaded holes (I'd purchase this if I wanted a temp sensor there as well.)

From there, I'd pick up a 1/8" NPT male to -4AN female hose that's 24" in length. I haven't been able to find a hose that's 1/8" NPT female on both ends but I'll keep my eyes out for one.

That hose would then connect to a -4AN to 1/8" NPT female elbow (if I can find one; if not, I know where I can get a straight adapter). This elbow will then screw into the 1/8" NPT male fitting on the oil level sender. From there, all I need to do is mount a gauge on the dash and run all the necessary wiring to get it all powered.

Last edited by JaredMV; Fri, May-04-2018 at 07:42:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 03:45:08 PM   #146
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

May 8, 2018:

Crammed a couple projects in before I head up to Reno for the weekend.

The exhaust setup:
  • OE Section 1 w/ 2 AR20 Resonators
  • OE Section 2
  • Status Gruppe V1 Section 3
  • Ace and Home Depot Hardware
  • All new gaskets
This was a pretty straight forward install. I was nervous about how this was going to sound, and in the end I was thoroughly surprised at how quiet it is! Going from the 2.5" Magnaflow back to 2.25" OE pipes, you definitely get a more refined and smooth exhaust note. The 2 AR20s eliminate nearly 99% of the rasp, while still leaving a tiiiiiny bit when you're climbing in revs. Driving around normally, the exhaust is super quiet. I've never run a full OEM exhaust setup with this car but I can only imagine that it's only slightly quieter than the SGv1. I get zero drone whatsoever, and you really hear the muffler sing when you hammer down and go WOT. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. While I'm happy with the setup, I do plan on picking up an OEM section 1 and trying that out as well. My only complaint is that the exhaust might be too quiet for my liking, but I might just fix that with an electronic cutout.

I installed the rear Eibach sway bar to get that over with. The end-links weren't a PITA in the same sense that the MadRussian DIY says they are, but they were definitely a PITA trying to line up the holes in the bracket that bolts to the control arm. I got my ratchet stuck between the bracket and wall of the control arm more times than I'd like to admit. I'm going to have to wait until the next auto-x to really test out the sway bars but I'm not sure if I'll even feel a difference from stock since I have coilovers. I dunno, I'll update when I find out.

That's all for now, and a couple more mods off my plate. I'll be shining up the Magnaflow cat-back and putting it up for sale, along with my stock sway bars. PM me if interested.

Old Fri, May-18-2018, 06:50:41 PM   #147
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

May 18, 2018:

I finally got around to uploading the exhaust clip of my exhaust. I have another angle and I'll add that here later.

I definitely want to swap out the section 1 for something different. I want some rasp from the OE resonator and a little more volume if I can. One of my resonators also rattles like crazy (I knew this beforehand) and I shouldn't have spent as much as I did on this piece. Oh well, you live and you learn \_(ツ)_/.

Old Mon, Jun-11-2018, 02:15:05 PM   #148
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

June 11, 2018:

Not much to update other than the fact that one of my throttle position sensors started going out and setting off my EML light. Given the car made it to Bimmerfest and back without issues is still mind boggling. Other than replacing the sensor, just a normal oil change was in order to get back on the road.

Pre-Alice's wash:

I-5 wasn't too nice to me:

Old Wed, Jun-13-2018, 05:51:56 PM   #149
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

June 13, 2018:

Well, I have a dilemma. My passenger side strut tower is getting worse and worse; a crack has developed along the base of the tower. I'm worried that my strut tower will fail and shoot through my hood - but that's the grave that I dug for myself. I don't think I ever touched on this but after the Uber driver incident, I asked the body shop how much it would cost for them to spread the strut towers apart (back into place, rather) and weld up the crack. They said they'd take care of it. Great!.. or so I thought. Turns out, they just welded the seam and didn't spread the towers apart. So now I'm in an even WORSE position because there's absolutely nothing I could do the fit my RE RaceBrace. All of that is neither here nor there, because I can no longer blame this strut tower issue on them for the misunderstanding. At this point, I can only kick myself in the ass for not buying an adjustable strut brace that would suffice. I take full responsibility for the neglect of my strut tower. Though, I'm curious - will insurance come in handy if the strut tower fails? My full coverage has to account for something.

Since I just changed the oil a few days ago and I have no regard for personal safety, I'm planning on putting the final 5,000 mi on the M3 until it's time for Inspection II. In that time, I'm going on a hunt for a manual e36 318ti to daily. Cheap, economical, and slow... When my 5k miles is up, I'm going to part out the M3 chassis and keep the parts needed for the touring swap. At that point I'll rebuild the S54 with new seals and gaskets, put my new clutch in, reseal and re-bearing the differential, and clean up anything else that needs to be addressed before I can stuff it all into a touring. I guess on the bright side, I'll have plenty of time to clean my components so they look pretty when it comes time to place them on a new chassis.

While this all makes sense to me, I know there's a lot of work ahead. To be completely honest, I feel like I may be in over my head with this project. I can't get any money for the M3 in its current condition so I'd need to part it out to get any decent amount of cash back. But then I'm conflicted with the fact that I have all of the M3 drivetrain components at my disposal - I can't just get rid of that.

That's about it for my rambling, I just have a lot going through my head. All I know is that my time with the car has been absolutely amazing, but time is running out. Oh how I wish another Uber driver would hit me and total the car.

Last edited by JaredMV; Wed, Jun-13-2018 at 06:01:16 PM.
Old Thu, Jun-14-2018, 01:42:08 AM   #150
muhli

United States

Sucks to hear about your misfortunes. A touring or sedan would be pretty badass. Or maybe swap the s54 into a e30 chassis?