BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 12:49:17 AM   #1
FastFocus
Registered User
 
FastFocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 189
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 FastFocus is on a distinguished road
Location: Houston

United States




Default Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

Does anyone make REAL carbon fiber trim for the e46? I don't want wrap or any kind of overlay, i'm looking for real CF for the trim on the dash, around the shifter, and on the doors.

Thanks!
__________________
-Aaron



Koni Yellows | OEM e92 19" Competition Wheels | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser |

Last edited by FastFocus; Fri, Dec-09-2016 at 12:59:00 AM.
Jump to top FastFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 12:53:15 AM   #2
Braymond141
Registered User
 
Braymond141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 19,520
Reputation: 0 Braymond141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Oakhurst, CA

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

http://www.karbonius.es/web_ing/prod.../base_bmw.html
__________________

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 12:58:09 AM   #3
FastFocus
Registered User
 
FastFocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 189
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 FastFocus is on a distinguished road
Location: Houston

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Thank you! Exactly what i'm looking for! Does anyone on here have any reviews on this, or has anyone fitted it before? I want to make sure the fitment truly is like OEM.
__________________
-Aaron



Koni Yellows | OEM e92 19" Competition Wheels | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser |
Jump to top FastFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 01:07:12 AM   #4
FastFocus
Registered User
 
FastFocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 189
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 FastFocus is on a distinguished road
Location: Houston

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

I just found NVD autosport also. Does anyone have any experience with them as well? Going to get a quote from them to compare against Karbonius
__________________
-Aaron



Koni Yellows | OEM e92 19" Competition Wheels | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser |
Jump to top FastFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 02:40:46 AM   #5
Braymond141
Registered User
 
Braymond141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 19,520
Reputation: 0 Braymond141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Oakhurst, CA

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

NVD looks like your average DIY quality. Karbnonius is already well respected for their carbon airbox work.
__________________

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 03:30:02 AM   #6
WyattH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,824
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 WyattH is on a distinguished road
Location: San Francisco

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

I have the EAS kit, great weave and fitment but I'm not sure they make it anymore.
__________________

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 04:18:22 AM   #7
Bimma360
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 135
Reputation: 0 Bimma360 is on a distinguished road
Location: Philadelphia

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

I wanted to add some of my insight to this thread. As far as I know, there aren't any actual trim pieces made 100% out of carbon fiber (not totally sure that is what you are after based on the OP).

Trim pieces would usually be made by wrapping the original pieces in in real carbon and laminating with epoxy resin to adhere the whole piece into one. Another way to achieve this, is to pop the carbon skins out of a mold and then use an adhesive to bond them to the original piece. If done correctly, both should achieve the same result. That is, when installed, they look fantastic and seamless.

The kardonius pieces are stated to be made out of prepreg carbon fiber. As vague as the pictures are, and based on the descriptions of other pieces on the site, the trim pieces sound like they are original ones covered in carbon fiber. Because they specify that it's prepreg, I can tell you that they are skins popped out of a mold and adhered to the original pieces after the fact. Again, I will say that as long as the skins, adhesive work, and finishing work is good there is nothing wrong with that.

Prepreg is the best method of making full carbon parts for strength and appearance. If you are simply covering existing parts in carbon for a visual appearance, prepreg does a good job saving the manufacturer labor time but it does not make it the best method for the job.

I wanted to mention all of that only b/c you said you didn't want overlays, and I wanted to give some insight that using prepreg to make a part like this (assuming they are using the original trim pieces) is basically an overlay that they glue to the pieces in house instead of you doing it.

Here is a piece I made for a member's Gallardo. This was done using the first method I mentioned. Again, nothing wrong with going the overlay way, it just all depends on the finishing work after the fact, and the adhesive used. If they are covered in real carbon, they look good, and they last, you are good to go.

__________________
E30 Dinan Turbo

Jump to top Bimma360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 04:57:55 AM   #8
FastFocus
Registered User
 
FastFocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 189
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 FastFocus is on a distinguished road
Location: Houston

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
NVD looks like your average DIY quality. Karbnonius is already well respected for their carbon airbox work.
Good to know, because NVD wants way too much. Karbonius is right around the price i expected, so i'll go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
I wanted to add some of my insight to this thread. As far as I know, there aren't any actual trim pieces made 100% out of carbon fiber (not totally sure that is what you are after based on the OP).

Trim pieces would usually be made by wrapping the original pieces in in real carbon and laminating with epoxy resin to adhere the whole piece into one. Another way to achieve this, is to pop the carbon skins out of a mold and then use an adhesive to bond them to the original piece. If done correctly, both should achieve the same result. That is, when installed, they look fantastic and seamless.

The kardonius pieces are stated to be made out of prepreg carbon fiber. As vague as the pictures are, and based on the descriptions of other pieces on the site, the trim pieces sound like they are original ones covered in carbon fiber. Because they specify that it's prepreg, I can tell you that they are skins popped out of a mold and adhered to the original pieces after the fact. Again, I will say that as long as the skins, adhesive work, and finishing work is good there is nothing wrong with that.

Prepreg is the best method of making full carbon parts for strength and appearance. If you are simply covering existing parts in carbon for a visual appearance, prepreg does a good job saving the manufacturer labor time but it does not make it the best method for the job.

I wanted to mention all of that only b/c you said you didn't want overlays, and I wanted to give some insight that using prepreg to make a part like this (assuming they are using the original trim pieces) is basically an overlay that they glue to the pieces in house instead of you doing it.

Here is a piece I made for a member's Gallardo. This was done using the first method I mentioned. Again, nothing wrong with going the overlay way, it just all depends on the finishing work after the fact, and the adhesive used. If they are covered in real carbon, they look good, and they last, you are good to go.

Thanks for the info, i just didn't want an overlay that was stuck on the original trim pieces, that would eventually fall off, or that looked "stuck on". I wanted CF pieces that look as close to OEM as possible and good quality pieces. It sounds like NVD can provide that, and it sounds like they're actual full CF pieces molded from the original oem trim. The trim in our e46 looks dated, and i wanted something quality that would bring the interior into 2017. Especially when i swap my grey for fresh/new Cinnamon.
__________________
-Aaron



Koni Yellows | OEM e92 19" Competition Wheels | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser |
Jump to top FastFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 05:30:22 PM   #9
Bimma360
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 135
Reputation: 0 Bimma360 is on a distinguished road
Location: Philadelphia

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

NVD I know for a fact do not make e46 trim pieces molded fully out of carbon b/c they specifically state in the description, that they use factory pieces skinned in carbon. Karbonius is a little more vague in their description: "Pieces made of carbon prepeg fiber: These pieces are made from the original BMW ones, to ensure a perfect and quick assemble." This does not necessarily mean they are full carbon pieces molded from the original ones. Their pictures appear to show the original plastic piece underneath. Also compare that description to their other parts that are in fact fully out of prepreg carbon.

Anyway, don't get me wrong I am just looking out, hate for you to pay $800 expecting full carbon trim pieces. Even OEM carbon trim pieces are plastic pieces covered in real carbon. Making a trim piece with the OEM mounting points fully out of carbon, is more trouble than its worth for purely an ornamental piece.

Regardless, if the pieces are quality, it will achieve the look and longevity you are after.
__________________
E30 Dinan Turbo

Jump to top Bimma360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 05:40:00 PM   #10
FastFocus
Registered User
 
FastFocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 189
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 FastFocus is on a distinguished road
Location: Houston

United States




Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
NVD I know for a fact do not make e46 trim pieces molded fully out of carbon b/c they specifically state in the description, that they use factory pieces skinned in carbon. Karbonius is a little more vague in their description: "Pieces made of carbon prepeg fiber: These pieces are made from the original BMW ones, to ensure a perfect and quick assemble." This does not necessarily mean they are full carbon pieces molded from the original ones. Their pictures appear to show the original plastic piece underneath. Also compare that description to their other parts that are in fact fully out of prepreg carbon.

Anyway, don't get me wrong I am just looking out, hate for you to pay $800 expecting full carbon trim pieces. Even OEM carbon trim pieces are plastic pieces covered in real carbon. Making a trim piece with the OEM mounting points fully out of carbon, is more trouble than its worth for purely an ornamental piece.

Regardless, if the pieces are quality, it will achieve the look and longevity you are after.
You're right, when NVD emailed me back a quote i laughed, literally out loud. It was much more than $800 for an 8 piece set (including front and rear arm rests). But they are definitely carbon skinned oem pieces.

I'm almost positive that's what Karbonius does also, but since they're more well known regarding quality and their pricing isn't that bad considering what you're getting. I think they'll be the perfect fit for what i'm looking for.
__________________
-Aaron



Koni Yellows | OEM e92 19" Competition Wheels | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser |
Jump to top FastFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Engine starts up in "cold start" mode 90% of the time in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)