BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 12:49:17 AM   #1
FastFocus

In the garage:

United States

Default Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

Does anyone make REAL carbon fiber trim for the e46? I don't want wrap or any kind of overlay, i'm looking for real CF for the trim on the dash, around the shifter, and on the doors.

Thanks!

Koni Yellows | OEM e92 19" Competition Wheels | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser |

Last edited by FastFocus; Fri, Dec-09-2016 at 12:59:00 AM.
Jump to top FastFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 12:53:15 AM   #2
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

http://www.karbonius.es/web_ing/prod.../base_bmw.html

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 12:58:09 AM   #3
FastFocus

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Thank you! Exactly what i'm looking for! Does anyone on here have any reviews on this, or has anyone fitted it before? I want to make sure the fitment truly is like OEM.

Koni Yellows | OEM e92 19" Competition Wheels | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser |
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 01:07:12 AM   #4
FastFocus

In the garage:

United States

I just found NVD autosport also. Does anyone have any experience with them as well? Going to get a quote from them to compare against Karbonius

Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 02:40:46 AM   #5
Braymond141

United States

NVD looks like your average DIY quality. Karbnonius is already well respected for their carbon airbox work.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 03:30:02 AM   #6
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

I have the EAS kit, great weave and fitment but I'm not sure they make it anymore.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 04:18:22 AM   #7
Bimma360

United States

I wanted to add some of my insight to this thread. As far as I know, there aren't any actual trim pieces made 100% out of carbon fiber (not totally sure that is what you are after based on the OP).

Trim pieces would usually be made by wrapping the original pieces in in real carbon and laminating with epoxy resin to adhere the whole piece into one. Another way to achieve this, is to pop the carbon skins out of a mold and then use an adhesive to bond them to the original piece. If done correctly, both should achieve the same result. That is, when installed, they look fantastic and seamless.

The kardonius pieces are stated to be made out of prepreg carbon fiber. As vague as the pictures are, and based on the descriptions of other pieces on the site, the trim pieces sound like they are original ones covered in carbon fiber. Because they specify that it's prepreg, I can tell you that they are skins popped out of a mold and adhered to the original pieces after the fact. Again, I will say that as long as the skins, adhesive work, and finishing work is good there is nothing wrong with that.

Prepreg is the best method of making full carbon parts for strength and appearance. If you are simply covering existing parts in carbon for a visual appearance, prepreg does a good job saving the manufacturer labor time but it does not make it the best method for the job.

I wanted to mention all of that only b/c you said you didn't want overlays, and I wanted to give some insight that using prepreg to make a part like this (assuming they are using the original trim pieces) is basically an overlay that they glue to the pieces in house instead of you doing it.

Here is a piece I made for a member's Gallardo. This was done using the first method I mentioned. Again, nothing wrong with going the overlay way, it just all depends on the finishing work after the fact, and the adhesive used. If they are covered in real carbon, they look good, and they last, you are good to go.

Jump to top Bimma360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 04:57:55 AM   #8
FastFocus

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
NVD looks like your average DIY quality. Karbnonius is already well respected for their carbon airbox work.
Good to know, because NVD wants way too much. Karbonius is right around the price i expected, so i'll go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
I wanted to add some of my insight to this thread. As far as I know, there aren't any actual trim pieces made 100% out of carbon fiber (not totally sure that is what you are after based on the OP).

Trim pieces would usually be made by wrapping the original pieces in in real carbon and laminating with epoxy resin to adhere the whole piece into one. Another way to achieve this, is to pop the carbon skins out of a mold and then use an adhesive to bond them to the original piece. If done correctly, both should achieve the same result. That is, when installed, they look fantastic and seamless.

The kardonius pieces are stated to be made out of prepreg carbon fiber. As vague as the pictures are, and based on the descriptions of other pieces on the site, the trim pieces sound like they are original ones covered in carbon fiber. Because they specify that it's prepreg, I can tell you that they are skins popped out of a mold and adhered to the original pieces after the fact. Again, I will say that as long as the skins, adhesive work, and finishing work is good there is nothing wrong with that.

Prepreg is the best method of making full carbon parts for strength and appearance. If you are simply covering existing parts in carbon for a visual appearance, prepreg does a good job saving the manufacturer labor time but it does not make it the best method for the job.

I wanted to mention all of that only b/c you said you didn't want overlays, and I wanted to give some insight that using prepreg to make a part like this (assuming they are using the original trim pieces) is basically an overlay that they glue to the pieces in house instead of you doing it.

Here is a piece I made for a member's Gallardo. This was done using the first method I mentioned. Again, nothing wrong with going the overlay way, it just all depends on the finishing work after the fact, and the adhesive used. If they are covered in real carbon, they look good, and they last, you are good to go.

Thanks for the info, i just didn't want an overlay that was stuck on the original trim pieces, that would eventually fall off, or that looked "stuck on". I wanted CF pieces that look as close to OEM as possible and good quality pieces. It sounds like NVD can provide that, and it sounds like they're actual full CF pieces molded from the original oem trim. The trim in our e46 looks dated, and i wanted something quality that would bring the interior into 2017. Especially when i swap my grey for fresh/new Cinnamon.

Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 05:30:22 PM   #9
Bimma360

United States

NVD I know for a fact do not make e46 trim pieces molded fully out of carbon b/c they specifically state in the description, that they use factory pieces skinned in carbon. Karbonius is a little more vague in their description: "Pieces made of carbon prepeg fiber: These pieces are made from the original BMW ones, to ensure a perfect and quick assemble." This does not necessarily mean they are full carbon pieces molded from the original ones. Their pictures appear to show the original plastic piece underneath. Also compare that description to their other parts that are in fact fully out of prepreg carbon.

Anyway, don't get me wrong I am just looking out, hate for you to pay $800 expecting full carbon trim pieces. Even OEM carbon trim pieces are plastic pieces covered in real carbon. Making a trim piece with the OEM mounting points fully out of carbon, is more trouble than its worth for purely an ornamental piece.

Regardless, if the pieces are quality, it will achieve the look and longevity you are after.

Jump to top Bimma360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 05:40:00 PM   #10
FastFocus

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
NVD I know for a fact do not make e46 trim pieces molded fully out of carbon b/c they specifically state in the description, that they use factory pieces skinned in carbon. Karbonius is a little more vague in their description: "Pieces made of carbon prepeg fiber: These pieces are made from the original BMW ones, to ensure a perfect and quick assemble." This does not necessarily mean they are full carbon pieces molded from the original ones. Their pictures appear to show the original plastic piece underneath. Also compare that description to their other parts that are in fact fully out of prepreg carbon.

Anyway, don't get me wrong I am just looking out, hate for you to pay $800 expecting full carbon trim pieces. Even OEM carbon trim pieces are plastic pieces covered in real carbon. Making a trim piece with the OEM mounting points fully out of carbon, is more trouble than its worth for purely an ornamental piece.

Regardless, if the pieces are quality, it will achieve the look and longevity you are after.
You're right, when NVD emailed me back a quote i laughed, literally out loud. It was much more than $800 for an 8 piece set (including front and rear arm rests). But they are definitely carbon skinned oem pieces.

I'm almost positive that's what Karbonius does also, but since they're more well known regarding quality and their pricing isn't that bad considering what you're getting. I think they'll be the perfect fit for what i'm looking for.