BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Jun-24-2019, 05:12:21 PM   #111
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Laguna Seca Blue - Project Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
I am about to find that very thing out soon.

Do you have a plug in test or how does your state work? CSL converted DMEs have been known to not read in some areas on inspection machines, so that could be your first potential headache. Second would be if the DME displays the incorrect vin # and it gets flagged for some reason because of that. So to answer your question, I don't know.

On my setup, I virginized the DME with the mssflasher tool and then wrote the file I wanted to run on it. Then I used tool32 to write the vin back onto my DME. When I look at the car with INPA, it shows the correct chassis Vin so I'm hoping it matches with the inspection station computer as well when the time comes, assuming it can read my DME at all. I am almost to the inspection window to find out if all of this is going to work. I have my fingers crossed, but I always tend to worry about things like this until they are done.

Do you have a cable available to read/diagnose your car? If not, I would start there. Get bmwflash and see if you can read the tune on your donor. If you can, go ahead and download the ecuworx tool and see if you can put it in there and make changes. If it works, then grab a license for it and proceed.

Personally, I would vote to keep your original DME as well, if at all possible. Could help with future headaches if the emissions thing comes into play and you can't pass with the swapped DME.
I have a plug-in type test (Illinois) so no visual or "sniff" test.

I have heard the horror stories of the CSL DME's not being able to be read, so I'd like to retain my DME. I'm definitely going to have to get bmwflash, that's on my list for sure.

The bigger priority for now is swapping the donor car back to stock so I can recoup my investment. So I have to figure out a way to de-convert that CSL DME to stock ASAP. After I sell that car, I will then move to install the Evolve on my car.

SuperSprint v1 Full-Stepped Headers, SuperSprint v1 Section 1 w/HJS 100 Cell Race Cats, SuperSprint Dual Oversize Section 2, SuperSprint Light Weight Race Section 3, Evolve CSL Airbox, OE ZCP 19" Wheels w/MPS4S, OE CSL Trunk, Bspec Tune, Koni Yellow's w/H&R Sport Springs, ZHP Yellow Label Steering Rack, ACL Race Rod Bearings, Beisan Vanos

Build Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564786
Jump to top alexM3Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-25-2019, 04:17:13 PM   #112
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Finally had some nice weather in Chicago and got the opportunity to wash the M3. Looking good, but still need to wet sand and buff to be perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperSprint v1 Full-Stepped Headers, SuperSprint v1 Section 1 w/HJS 100 Cell Race Cats, SuperSprint Dual Oversize Section 2, SuperSprint Light Weight Race Section 3, Evolve CSL Airbox, OE ZCP 19" Wheels w/MPS4S, OE CSL Trunk, Bspec Tune, Koni Yellow's w/H&R Sport Springs, ZHP Yellow Label Steering Rack, ACL Race Rod Bearings, Beisan Vanos

Old Tue, Jul-02-2019, 01:51:39 PM   #113
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Finally got around to rebuilding my VANOS with the Beisan goodies thanks to my buddy’s help!

- Anti Rattle
- New Seals
- New Solenoid
- New Oil Pump Disk

Also he helped with the removal of the CSL carbon airbox! Big things are coming, beyond excited!

Old Tue, Jul-02-2019, 02:35:08 PM   #114
LALaw

Canada

Good looks!
Jump to top LALaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 01:33:16 AM   #115
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Installed the MPower logo on the CSL airbox!

I can already tell that it’s going to look amazing in the engine bay!

Old Thu, Aug-22-2019, 03:29:18 PM   #116
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Haven't updated this in a while so I figure now is a good time.

So far this build is taking a lot more time than expected, mainly because I am doing all of the work myself rather than going through a shop in order to keep costs minimal.

To install:

1) SuperSprint v1 Full-Stepped Headers
2) SuperSprint v1 Full-Stepped Section 1 w/HJS Cats
3) Evolve CSL Airbox w/IAT and MAP Sensor
4) Paint and install 996 Brembo BBK Upgrade. Need to upgrade to 90mm spacers first to clear my ZCP's w/20mm spacer.
5) AutoSolutions 30% SSK

All of these parts are being hoarded in my apartments guest room closet. My girlfriend just LOVES that

6) Reinforce my RACP. I don't have any issues with it now, but I have had the car on a lift and have seen a very small crack on the right side of the RACP. As long as I'm not ripping it from zero too much, I don't think it will be an issue for a while.

My rod bearings and vanos have both been locked down so I am happy about that.

My issue now is that I am stuck on what color to paint the calipers. I've seen LSB w/yellow Brembo's, and yeah it looks great, but I don't know if thats the look that I am going for anymore. I recently swapped my Cinnamon interior to Black, and WOW, what a difference that made. I don't know why people are so hyped about the LSB/Cinnamon combo. Once you see LSB/Black, it's just so much cleaner looking. Which is leading me to believe that I should paint my calipers black rather than the common yellow that a lot of people with LSB seem to be going with.

Does anyone have any pics of their LSB with Black Brembo's? I'd love to see how that looks.

Last edited by alexM3Chicago; Thu, Aug-22-2019 at 06:40:28 PM.
Old Thu, Aug-22-2019, 04:01:14 PM   #117
bmwahba39

United States

selling the cinnamon?

Jump to top bmwahba39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-22-2019, 06:39:52 PM   #118
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwahba39 View Post
selling the cinnamon?
Sold a while ago, sorry

Old Sat, Sep-14-2019, 04:35:26 PM   #119
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Default Laguna Seca Blue - Project Build

...wait a second, this doesn’t look like an M3 interior?

I may have did a thing...

not in my possession yet, otherwise I’d have cleaned it!

Can you guys tell what kind of car this?

Last edited by alexM3Chicago; Sat, Sep-14-2019 at 04:40:23 PM.
Old Sat, Sep-14-2019, 05:17:04 PM   #120
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexM3Chicago View Post
...wait a second, this doesn’t look like an M3 interior?

I may have did a thing...

not in my possession yet, otherwise I’d have cleaned it!

Can you guys tell what kind of car this?

Congrats on the S2K
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote