BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 07:02:30 PM   #1
herrubermensch

United States

Default Welding RTAB Pockets: Wire and Gas Tips

So i am going to MIG my RTAB pockets in place to avoid a calamity such as DJ's at VIR a couple of years ago, where the entire pocket ripped out of the unibody and took the wheel assembly with it, flipping him over multiple times. I have a very manageable gap between the unibody and the pocket metal. Anyone who has done this or otherwise has welded in RACP reinforcement plates, please give me tips on the size and type of wire and gas to use in my MIG for this particular application. I'm using a Miller 211. Yes, I've welded before, but I'm no pro welder by a long shot. Thanks.

--Peter
Jump to top herrubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 07:46:55 PM   #2
Apex_3472

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Welding RTAB Pockets: Wire and Gas Tips

Did not do it myself, I had Matt at EuroMpire in Monroe, NC do it. He regularly does it and should have the info you need if you give him a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 08:01:37 PM   #3
aeronaut

United States

It's MIG and mild steel, so there's nothing special going on. I think I used 0.03 wire and I'm certain I used 75/25 gas. 0.025 wire would be too thin. 0.035 would probably work fine.

The difficult part is as usually; cleaning, prep, and welding on your back. Oh, and a few welds close to the fuel tank (at least on an E36). Get a good fiberglass cloth to protect you and/or the fuel tank.

Stitch back and forth between the reinforcement plate and chassis/RTAB pocket.
Jump to top aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-14-2019, 08:09:38 PM   #4
aeronaut

United States

PS, if your using 110v as input to the welder, that'd be a reason to avoid the 0.035 wire. At least my Hobart runs much better using 0.03 than 0.035 when I have to be on 110v.
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 12:44:40 PM   #5
herrubermensch

United States

Thanks for the input and tips guys. No reinforcement plates necessary on the E46, just welding the existing pocket to the unibody. Will also give Matt a ring.

--Peter
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 12:45:05 PM   #6
herrubermensch

United States

Double post!
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 12:57:46 PM   #7
aeronaut

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrubermensch View Post
Thanks for the input and tips guys. No reinforcement plates necessary on the E46, just welding the existing pocket to the unibody. Will also give Matt a ring.

--Peter
Ahhhhh gotcha.
Then 0.03" or maybe 0.025 wire. I've used 0.03 quite a bit when I weld ~3/16" plates to ~20 gauge body sheet stuff, no issues. 0.025 might be a little more resistant to burn through. Depends on the thickness of the 2 metals of course. But ya know, if you have a roll of 0.025, I'd start there. If you only have 0.03, I'd start at an 'easy' spot with that, and see how it does. Matt will know.

Let us know what Matt says.
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 11:34:53 PM   #8
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

This is the first I'm hearing of RTAB pocket weaknesses. Is this reinforcement required for dedicated track car? Any symptoms to look out for prior to failure?
2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.
Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-16-2019, 12:22:25 AM   #9
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
This is the first I'm hearing of RTAB pocket weaknesses. Is this reinforcement required for dedicated track car? Any symptoms to look out for prior to failure?

Take a look at this video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-16-2019, 12:53:28 AM   #10
JerseyDriver820

In the garage:

United States

All of the advice above is very good. Definitely no flux core on this application and be sure to take your time. Burning through 22 gauge steel happens very quickly. Warping as well. Weld very small sections at a time. Don't forget welding upside-down will pool and pull the puddle much differently. .030 is what I would recommend with argon co2 mix.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Jump to top JerseyDriver820 is offline   Reply With Quote