BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, Jan-30-2019, 01:50:38 PM   #31
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: The Perfect Dog Transporter? - My 2000 Touring Journal

Great work on getting the swap done so fast! Have you thought about what you're going to do for RACP reinforcement?

And maybe the wagon's color doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be terribly awesome!

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
8k shipped. Lmk thanks
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-30-2019, 02:07:10 PM   #32
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredMV View Post
Great work on getting the swap done so fast! Have you thought about what you're going to do for RACP reinforcement?

And maybe the wagon's color doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be terribly awesome!

Honestly haven't thought about the subframe much, but with double the power it probably needs to be done. I will have to start researching the different methods and go from there. The epoxy method seems DIYable, but this is the type of job that needs to be done right the first time so you never have to think about it again.
Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-30-2019, 02:36:20 PM   #33
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Honestly haven't thought about the subframe much, but with double the power it probably needs to be done. I will have to start researching the different methods and go from there. The epoxy method seems DIYable, but this is the type of job that needs to be done right the first time so you never have to think about it again.
Totally! Personally I'll be going with a VinceBar weld-in kit with either VinceSkinz or PSDesigns RACP plates. I chose the VinceBar as opposed to the CMP bar because the VinceBar is completely invisible after install, which retains the functionality of having the touring cargo space.

The last thing you want is to crack and rip out the RACP on a project you worked so hard on. Now's the chance to reinforce an almost-guaranteed uncracked chassis.

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
8k shipped. Lmk thanks
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-30-2019, 07:54:01 PM   #34
L0ADED

United States

Congrats on getting the swap done. As for the wheels, if you can get a nice set of 17" BBSs like Kaiv did, it will look perfect. I much prefer a proper fitting set of wheels rather than the wide body conversion and respray. Plus, it's the less costly route and will serve its purpose.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-03-2019, 05:08:06 PM   #35
Steve M3

United States

I agree 17s would look perfect. I ended up finding a deal on some 18s that I couldn't pass up since the offsets were so close to what I needed and the tires would work. I am still unsure on the wide body conversion, I would love to do it, but it wouldn't be inexpensive to complete.

Pictures with the new wheels:

I've put 150 miles on the car and I've been loving every moment of it. I still have some coding to do, mainly on getting the DSC to come back on board, but other than that there aren't too many jobs left to do on it.
Old Mon, Feb-18-2019, 01:51:10 PM   #36
Steve M3

United States

Have about 500 miles on the touring now and have barely touched my other cars, love this thing!

I also made a few changes to the car, two of the things that actually bugged me the most about the car when I first got it.

Number one was the lighting. The factory headlights were halogen and pretty dim, not to mention the covers were very past their expiration date. I tried sanding and polishing them, but it didn't really help that much. I looked at picking up new lenses, but I knew I wouldn't be happy with the halogen lights in the long run so it seemed silly to waste the money on lenses. I'm glad I waited as I ended up finding a set of OEM Xenon lights shipped to me for a great price. As a bonus they already had fresh lenses on them so I was able to kill two birds with one stone. They also have a set of angle eyes in them, but not sure if I'll hook those up or pull them out.

Xenon vs Halogen, no contest.

I also coded them to the car as simply installing them up gave 'light out' errors on the dash. While I was at it I also coded the turn signals to flash when I lock or unlock the car as well as a few other nice convenience options.

Much better, other than the silver inserts, which I'll address at a later time.

Next change was to address the stereo system. I've been looking at the options out there and I haven't found much. The teenage me would have went all out and did a full new system, but I'm well past that stage in my life. The stock system is good enough right? Well, yes, but not in this condition.

I wanted to see if I could get lucky and see if any of the convertible parts would work in the sedan. The midrange and tweeters were obviously very different, but I had high hopes for the mid/low range part of the system.

Sure enough, the HK speakers bolted right in and hooked up without an issue. I believe I read these are 3 ohm instead of 2 ohm like the factory speakers, but that won't tax the amp like if it were the other way around so it shouldn't cause any issues.

Hooked them up and they sound great, or at least 100% better than what was in there
Old Wed, Feb-20-2019, 08:09:06 PM   #37
Shift_Vas

United States

Congrats on the quick swap.

BTW any chance you have the part numbers handy for the floor drain plugs?
Jump to top Shift_Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-20-2019, 08:36:35 PM   #38
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Vas View Post
Congrats on the quick swap.

BTW any chance you have the part numbers handy for the floor drain plugs?
These are the ones I used.

Body Plug - Priced Each ES#129436
Diamiter 25mm
Old Wed, Feb-20-2019, 09:10:19 PM   #39
Shift_Vas

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
These are the ones I used.

Body Plug - Priced Each ES#129436
Diamiter 25mm

Thanks. The ones on my car are missing on both sides as well for some odd reason.
Jump to top Shift_Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-25-2019, 02:13:35 PM   #40
Steve M3

United States

This weekend I flashed the Euro 6MT Tune onto my DME. I didn't really expect much of a change, but the car seems to behave completely different with the euro software. The idle seems to be better and it is generally calmer around town, but still pulls nicely when getting on it. The biggest change I noticed was that the revs seem to drop to idle much quicker when the clutch is pushed in. I'm not sure if this is going from a SMG to Manual conversion tune to a true 6MT tune or if this is just a characteristic of the different software. Either way, I don't mind it and it makes the car feel a bit nicer overall. More importantly, my DTML error is now gone

Only other change to the car was a fresh windshield cowl. The old one was almost completely disintegrated where it met the windshield. Next up I need to find a way to make the trim black again to match. Adam's "In and Out" spray has been a nice temporary fix, but I'd like to find something a bit more permanent.

Also found a cool side street so thought I'd stop for a quick picture.