BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Nov-19-2018, 05:48:16 PM   #1
Steve M3

United States

Default The Perfect Dog Transporter? - My 2000 Touring Journal

I've always been intrigued by wagons, but I've never owned one and certainly didn't expect to own one anytime soon as I've always had a truck to use for my errands and larger items. All of that changed when I found the perfect Cayenne for my wife and I to share and I had to let my truck go to make it happen. I didn't mind the dogs being in my truck, but there is no way I was going to let them into the Cayenne as it has a full leather interior and I can only imagine the terrible things that their nails would do to it.

I originally thought to just get another truck but then I started to think about maybe getting a wagon instead to see how it would work out in my life. I came across a lot of E91s for sale, but I really wanted an E46 as they are super simple to work on, beyond depreciated and could function as a "hand me down" car for parts that I remove from my M3s.

It actually didn't take me long to find a car worth buying. I ended up finding one that was owned by an elderly gentleman that unfortunately passed and was being sold by his nephew so that his wife wouldn't have to deal with it. The car had a book of service records, all original keys and was 100% original and never modified and had relatively low miles to boot. The car spent many years in a small Texas town so it wasn't subjected to the normal amount of wear and tear that is often seen in cars that have lived in Houston their entire life.

I talked to the seller via phone a few times, worked out a deal and decided to go get it. My wife was thankfully ok with the idea of a "dog car" being around the house. She has been very patient with me bringing home cars, so I was glad she wasn't upset about this one and actually seemed quite interested in the idea of both a wagon and a car that was meant to haul around the dogs.

Unfortunately, she was working on the day I was supposed to get the car and it was two hours away from me. After realizing that the Cayenne had a pretty decent tow rating, I did what any sane, or insane, person would do and rented a uhaul trailer and drove two hours to get an eighteen year old brown station wagon

When I got there, it was as described so I paid the seller, loaded it up and thought the whole way home "what in the world have I done?".

So with all of that said, I now have a third E46 and a project car to play around with on the weekend. I'm quite excited and thought I would keep a journal on this one as I make progress
Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Nov-19-2018, 06:13:42 PM   #2
Steve M3

United States

Default Re: The Perfect Dog Transporter? - My 2000 Touring Journal

Oh yeah, the other problem with this car? It came with a tan interior and seemed pretty dirty on the inside when I got it. The dirt didn't bother me, as I would rather it be dirty than improperly cleaned in the past, but the tan was a different story. I decided to deal with the colors later as it would give me a lot to do when spare time was available.

As delivered

I got the car home just in time for a week's worth of rain. I decided it was actually a good thing as it would allow me to check the car for leaks. When I opened it up I was greeted to a musty water smell...great. The rear carpets were pretty wet and a quick google search let me know that it is extremely common to have water leaks with the E46. I've dealt with water leaks in other vehicles in the past and they are typically pretty frustrating and hard to find. Not so much with the E46, it was quite obvious that water was coming from the bottom of the door cards and that the vapor barriers had issues.

After pulling the door cards, this is what I found on one of them that had had a regular replaced:

Nice :rolleyes:

It was also torn in other places.

The passenger side had a regular replaced as well as the vapor barrier was left mostly unattached at the bottom:

I tried various methods of fixing these barriers, but wasn't having much luck. After some reading, I decided to go get some fresh butyl tape and try again by removing the old sections of tape altogether and starting fresh.

Auto Zone Butyl tape

Fortunately, the new butyl tape did the trick. The car finally stopped leaking but the musty smell was still there even though the carpet was dry to the touch. As it turns out, the foam underneath the carpet was holding a LOT of water in it. Not a huge deal, as the carpet was something I eventually wanted to replace with this car.

After discovering how cheap the carpet is second hand, I ordered a front section from an E46 M3 coupe off of ebay and also picked up a touring rear section from a local breaking yard. Fortunately, the coupe and sedan/touring share the same part number for the front carpet, so a clean example wasn't very hard to source. I picked one from an M3 because I assumed it would have been better cared for than carpet from a base 3er. Once I received it, I steam cleaned it and put it away to dry for a week or two as it was still rainy each and every day and I knew it was going to be a major undertaking as almost every DIY I read involved removing the dash.

I finally got a sunny Saturday this past weekend so i decided to attempt this. I decided to try it without removing the dash first, but I was prepared to remove it if necessary.

The previous owner must have liked tea

The rear carpet weighed so much that I struggled to get it out of the car eloquently. The foam was holding so much water that it made it weigh a ton. What a mess.

As a bonus, the drain plugs underneath the car were missing on both sides, not sure why but I'm sure that these pieces didn't help the water logged foam situation one bit.

I ended up getting the carpet out without pulling the dash. I took apart enough of the dash to make it flimsy and was able to move it out of the way enough on each side to cut the carpet around the heater core and remove it.

Stripped!

Vacuumed the floor and replaced the plugs with fresh ones from ECS that I had ordered upon discovering they were missing:

Old Mon, Nov-19-2018, 06:22:49 PM   #3
Steve M3

United States

Putting the new carpet in was way easier than removing the old carpet, mostly because I had templates of where to cut based on how much of the old carpet I had removed. I cut the front carpet into two sections and installed each side separately. I left the rear carpet in one piece because it is easy to install as-is, as long as it isn't water logged that is

I got a bit excited at this point as the interior looked so much better with the black carpet than the tan. Why BMW decided to do beige EVERYTHING, I'll never understand.

Little bit of beige to remember where we came from with this car. It's worth mentioning that no beige carpet is visible when the rest of the interior is installed.

I also decided to swap in a black console from my '05 Coupe as the tan console just looked weird and out of place in this car. Since I had recently swapped a fresh one into my other car, this was a "free" mod that was a no-brainer.

Interior reinstalled 100%

I put the old mats from my convertible in as they somewhat matched and the "M3" logo was good for some laughs...and hopefully a tease of what I'd eventually like to do with this car
Old Mon, Nov-19-2018, 07:52:27 PM   #4
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Nice project and start so far! Any big plans/mods or just restoration?

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies fan/SAP/washer delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6/Eibach 325/600lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing Mason clutch pedal + brass bushing TMS black pedals delrin brake pedal bushing

OE CSL trunk Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-19-2018, 08:47:34 PM   #5
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Nice work. Even just changing out the carpet for black makes the car look so much better. I want to swap the grey carpet in my sedan. There's just too much grey right now. Eventually I'd like to swap everything over to black or Natural Brown.
Jump to top youinreverse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-19-2018, 10:03:36 PM   #6
Texaz3

United States

Looks great.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-20-2018, 02:04:52 PM   #7
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Nice project and start so far! Any big plans/mods or just restoration?
Appreciate it! I have some pretty big plans for this car but driving it around for the past few days has almost made me reconsider them as it's so good at just being a car. The seats are comfortable, it rides great and gets pretty decent gas mileage as-is, by far the most practical vehicle that I own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youinreverse View Post
Nice work. Even just changing out the carpet for black makes the car look so much better. I want to swap the grey carpet in my sedan. There's just too much grey right now. Eventually I'd like to swap everything over to black or Natural Brown.
The black/natural brown combo is really nice. The yard I got my carpet from had a black/natural brown ZCP that had just come in with rear damage, would have loved to have grabbed the seats but the rears wouldn't have worked for me so I passed on it.

I've seen a few people on here two tone their gray interiors and it looks really good. I say go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Looks great.
Thanks! Hopefully I will have some more updates soon
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 02:04:29 PM   #8
Steve M3

United States

Picked up a Quickjack to assist with my project as well as general maintenance and detailing with my other cars. Overall, I'm impressed.

The Touring got first dibs on trying it out

Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 02:27:16 PM   #9
Steve M3

United States

I've gone back and forth on this, and have just decided I'm going to do it. I've owned a 2004 M3 Convertible for about six years and have enjoyed it, but recently took ownership of a Coupe on the basis that I was going to get rid of the convertible. With what all I've put into this car compared to what 100k+ mile convertibles go for, it makes sense to use it as a donor rather than sell it and get another donor with an unknown past. It's also nice that I have the full history of this car before my ownership as well as everything that I've done to it while owning it. Overall, it's a solid car and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the chassis, but that can be figured out later.

Batter up!

Old Fri, Dec-14-2018, 01:58:52 PM   #10
Steve M3

United States

This car was built 04/2000, which left a lot of questions on whether it would have a single or dual stage airbag. Some sources said the change to dual stage happened in April while others stated June. I noticed mine said "AIRBAG" instead of "SRS AIRBAG" like some of the older cars and also had the thumb grips, so I thought it was a dual stage, but I wouldn't be 100% sure until I took it apart.

I decided to take a look at it last night. Two T30 torx bits would reveal either excitement or disappointment. Luckily, the bag had two connectors on the back. I'm not sure if the tourings got the dual stage bags earlier, or if it's a toss up for these build dates, but either way I am not complaining

Installed the M3 wheel as I couldn't take another moment of the thin wheel it came with. The M3 wheel is in need a rewrap and work on the lower trim, but that can be done at a later time. It's really amazing how much different the car feels with just a steering wheel swap, almost a night and day difference!

I also changed out the radio and HVAC controls to the facelift models to gain an AUX input as well as the controls I am used to since I've had a facelift car for so long. It's only a small difference in layout on the HVAC setup, but I kept reaching in the wrong areas to adjust the temperature or settings and it was driving me crazy