BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 01:26:15 PM   #21
ATB88

United States

Default Re: Mk20 to Mk60 Upgrade?

Lmao Jesus I thought I was going to do this a year ago wow
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 03:19:13 PM   #22
jinetics

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB88 View Post
Lmao Jesus I thought I was going to do this a year ago wow
So what kept you from doing this? The amount of work it takes to have it working? Cost vs benefits?
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 04:52:46 AM   #23
ATB88

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinetics View Post
So what kept you from doing this? The amount of work it takes to have it working? Cost vs benefits?
Basically, yeah both of those. About a year ago I was feelin' macho because I was taking on the 6MT swap by myself, and figured that doing an MK60 swap wasn't too far a stretch. But even with an incredibly detailed DIY and parts list and support from tons of people who have done it who can lend support, the 6MT swap took a lot out of me. It made me realize that this would be beyond my current ability/knowhow to get through. There's limited description of what you need to do to make it work (and indeed no complete description on how to do the wiring which sounds like a nightmare), and only a few forum members who've even done it and could give advice. Couple that with the fact that I would see really no benefit to having an MK60 given the way that I currently drive my car, and it turns into a "lmao no friggin way".

That said, if anyone ever did assemble a comprehensive DIY guide to doing this they would be a total hero. I look forward to the day

Last edited by ATB88; Wed, Jun-19-2019 at 05:06:59 AM.
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 07:20:19 AM   #24
jinetics

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB88 View Post
Basically, yeah both of those. About a year ago I was feelin' macho because I was taking on the 6MT swap by myself, and figured that doing an MK60 swap wasn't too far a stretch. But even with an incredibly detailed DIY and parts list and support from tons of people who have done it who can lend support, the 6MT swap took a lot out of me. It made me realize that this would be beyond my current ability/knowhow to get through. There's limited description of what you need to do to make it work (and indeed no complete description on how to do the wiring which sounds like a nightmare), and only a few forum members who've even done it and could give advice. Couple that with the fact that I would see really no benefit to having an MK60 given the way that I currently drive my car, and it turns into a "lmao no friggin way".

That said, if anyone ever did assemble a comprehensive DIY guide to doing this they would be a total hero. I look forward to the day
I understand your point and I would agree with you. There are a lot of contradicting informations all over through my searches but I think I will be ultimately doing a full DIY for that matter for us MK20 guys branching into the MK60 for its benefits. My goal would be to properly lay out everything involved in terms of mechanically getting it settled and as far as the coding process goes, I will have one of my friends doing that portion for me as I tie everything up together. Bold statement, yes, but I feel like I have done enough research to go about this without too much speed bumps along my retrofit.
Old Tue, Aug-06-2019, 03:09:42 PM   #25
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpiper12 View Post
I completed the MK60 swap on my MK20 2000 E46 Touring that I did an S54/M3 drivetrain swap on. Everything was easy enough to swap over, including the hard lines from the donor car.

Wiring and electronics as long as you have the body harness make it pretty easy. You don't need to pull the dash as there should be a retrofit tube for the 4 or 6 wires that crossover to the MK20 main connector on the passenger side. Otherwise it's all done in the driver foot panel/cluster/center console area as well as the wheel speed sensors!
Any coding required for the MSS54 DME (former Mk20 car) to talk to the MK60 DSC?

For background, I'm doing an S54 touring swap as well. The 2002 M3 donor had a Mk20 while the touring had the non-m Mk60. I bought a brake booster/master cylinder from a 2004 M3 and a DSC module from a 2003.5 M3 and installed those in place of the non-m components. So for the most part, all of the satellite parts (wheel speed sensors, yaw sensor, steering angle sensor) are all in place - I'm just curious how I'm going to tell the DME that it's dealing with a MK60.

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
8k shipped. Lmk thanks
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-06-2019, 03:41:43 PM   #26
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Has a DIY been made for this swap/upgrade yet?

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-06-2019, 04:24:57 PM   #27
jinetics

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Has a DIY been made for this swap/upgrade yet?

I will be doing one hopefuly this month as long as my schedule pans out. Just planning it more thoroughly so I can finish it in one day.
Old Tue, Aug-06-2019, 05:39:36 PM   #28
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinetics View Post
I will be doing one hopefuly this month as long as my schedule pans out. Just planning it more thoroughly so I can finish it in one day.
Thanks. Considering this upgrade myself so any insight you can provide would be gratefully appreciated.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-06-2019, 08:27:06 PM   #29
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Sub'd I'm interested in this swap as well.
[RIP] 2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.

Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote