BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 07:18:54 PM   #11
e36 323ti

In the garage:

Norway

Default Re: Mk20 to Mk60 Upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volke View Post
As far as steering and DCS, the DCS only uses yaw and wheel speed sensors to function. There is no sensor on the steering wheel or steering column position, so there's no way for it to tell what steering rack you're using or that anything is different. The Mk60 does have different settings for the ZCP though, but I suspect it's just tuned to be even less intrusive in general on the ZCP both in M-track mode and regular driving, but the coding isn't specific to the rack.
Sorry, but this is wrong. All e46 m3 with mk60 have a steering angle sensor, or LEW.

From the manual:
"The Steering Angle Sensor is mounted towards the lower end of the steering column, above the flexible coupling. The LEW consists of a potentiometer and a built in microprocessor. The potentiometer has two pickups offset at 900 to one another. The raw potentiometer signal is processed and converted into a digital signal that is transmitted over the CAN bus to the DSC control unit. The sensor requires initialization in-order to create a zero point default. Once initialized, the LEW sends an ID number to the DSC control unit. The ID provides confirmation that the LEW is properly initialized.The total steering wheel angle is determined by combining the CAN telegram signal, the stored zero point default and the actual number of turns to the wheel. In order to prevent the LEW from loosing count, KL 30 is provided to the sensor and it continues to record even after the ignition has been switched off. The DSC calculates the drivers desired rate of turn from the steering angle signal."

Further, the MK60 combines the signal from the LEW and the yaw/rotation: "The rotation (yaw) rate is compared to the signal from the Steering Angle Sensor and the Transverse Acceleration Sensor. If physical limits are beginning to be exceeded, the MK60 DSC will begin regulation by engine and brake intervention to attempt to stabilize the vehicle."

A simple way to look at it is that the LEW tells the desired direction and the yaw-sensor tells the actual. To big a difference and DSC kicks in. Hence the steering ratio comes into play as well. And finally, there is a setting for the std m3 rack and one for the CSL/ZCP. By tweeking the C06-file, one can define a parameter for the even quicker 330 rack as well.

Most of it to be found in this pdf ...

Last edited by e36 323ti; Thu, Apr-05-2018 at 07:49:29 PM.
Jump to top e36 323ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 09:20:01 PM   #12
Volke

United States

I stand corrected. Thanks!
Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 12:47:31 AM   #13
nickpiper12

In the garage:

United States

I completed the MK60 swap on my MK20 2000 E46 Touring that I did an S54/M3 drivetrain swap on. Everything was easy enough to swap over, including the hard lines from the donor car.

Wiring and electronics as long as you have the body harness make it pretty easy. You don't need to pull the dash as there should be a retrofit tube for the 4 or 6 wires that crossover to the MK20 main connector on the passenger side. Otherwise it's all done in the driver foot panel/cluster/center console area as well as the wheel speed sensors!
Jump to top nickpiper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 03:09:52 AM   #14
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpiper12 View Post
Wiring and electronics as long as you have the body harness make it pretty easy. You don't need to pull the dash as there should be a retrofit tube for the 4 or 6 wires that crossover to the MK20 main connector on the passenger side. Otherwise it's all done in the driver foot panel/cluster/center console area as well as the wheel speed sensors!
YMMV there. My 330i has the tube, M3 doesn't. Still not difficult to run wiring, but a little bit more of a pain to do it cleanly.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 04:22:38 AM   #15
Volke

United States

I don't think my M3 has the tube either or at least I haven't noticed it. Might just be a non-M thing.
Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 03:09:51 PM   #16
nickpiper12

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
YMMV there. My 330i has the tube, M3 doesn't. Still not difficult to run wiring, but a little bit more of a pain to do it cleanly.

Interesting, good to know! I used a flexible hard plastic hose to route things to center console area, probably could just do the same.
Jump to top nickpiper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 09:41:04 PM   #17
ATB88

United States

I'm now a little closer to considering doing this, but have a few questions that hopefully maybe someone who has done this can help answer:

1. I'll be doing a 6MT swap in the next month, so I'll have the tranny out, and will also be doing an AC condenser fix, so I'll have the dash out at some point as well. Is there any way to do some of the work required for a proper MK60 conversion "in pieces" while I'm doing either of these jobs? Or to take advantage would I need to do it all at once? That is, can I do prep work while doing either of those jobs that will prevent me from needing to drop the tranny and take out the dash again? So, putting in the new hard lines (that won't yet be connected to anything, but can easily be when I install the MK60) and routing wires appropriately behind the dash?

2. How much should I expect to pay for all of the components I need to really do a full and proper swap (probably out of some junked donor car), and what is the exact list of parts I should be asking the scrapper for??

3. Assuming I have the skills to pull off the 6MT swap, is figuring out how to complete this MK60 swap, giving the seemingly small amount of explicit DIY information out there about it, going to be a nightmare?
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 10:33:01 PM   #18
Volke

United States

Parts list:
MK60 DSC unit
2003.5+ master cylinder
2003.5+ wheel speed sensors
2003.5+ yaw sensor
2003.5+ harness side connector pigtail

Maybe:
2003.5+ hard lines
Instrument cluster with M-track light

Lots of SMG cars already have the M-track light because the cluster was shared with CSL. Do the cluster lights test on yours. Some may have the cutout but not the LED.

Entire hard lines are hard to come by without a local donor car as they are too big to ship pre-bent so you can also cut yours at the front of the transmission tunnel and run flexible hose the rest of the way. You can also choose to run just flex hose the whole length.

It's pretty straightforward if you have access to wiring diagrams and are comfortable reading them. You just take a look at the wires that are used by the MK60 and run them over to it. Some are the same as the MK20 and need to be extended to reach the other side of the bay, and some are new. You will also need to run an extra wire to the new yaw sensor.

I know if you cut the hard lines and run some flex hose, it can be done with the transmission in place. You can do the transmission separately.

If you have the retrofit tube Nick was talking about, it seems you don't need to pull the dash. I still think it would be easier though, so best do the whole swap when you have the dash out.

Depending on your swap timing, I may have an MK60 unit I can sell you coming out of my car. PM me if interested.

Last edited by Volke; Fri, Apr-27-2018 at 10:52:38 PM.
Jump to top Volke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-30-2018, 09:00:17 PM   #19
ATB88

United States

Thank you, that's tremendously helpful!

Where exactly do I look to see if I have this "retrofit tube" in my 2002 vert (jan 2002 build date)?

I'll be doing this work at the very end of May, if that timing is useful!
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 12:49:40 PM   #20
jinetics

In the garage:

United States

Sorry to bring this old thread back up but does anyone have a wiring diagram for this retrofit swap? The mechanicals seem to be straight forward more or less but in terms of wiring, would it just be a direct signal extension from the existing mk20 harness to the new mk60?