BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Fri, Mar-11-2016, 09:11:08 AM   #41
A White m3
///M POWER

United States

Default Re: Bimmerman325i's 1995 M3 with an S54/Mk60, Certified California BAR legal

Great build! I have a 97 e36 with a S54 which I'd like to make California legal.It has Andrew's harness and OBD2 communication, euro headers and CSL rep intake but no EVAP system. I was told it had a OEM e46 air box at one time, are there any problems with installing this?
When mounting the secondary air pump, what mount did you use or did you fabricate something?
Trying to get parts together without buying things I can't use.

S54 E36 M3 // E46 M3 6 // FELONY E36 M3
Jump to top A White m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-11-2016, 05:58:44 PM   #42
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Default Re: Bimmerman325i's 1995 M3 with an S54/Mk60, Certified California BAR legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A White m3 View Post
Great build! I have a 97 e36 with a S54 which I'd like to make California legal.It has Andrew's harness and OBD2 communication, euro headers and CSL rep intake but no EVAP system. I was told it had a OEM e46 air box at one time, are there any problems with installing this?
When mounting the secondary air pump, what mount did you use or did you fabricate something?
Trying to get parts together without buying things I can't use.
Thanks!!

Did you delete the OBD2 EVAP? You'll need the plumbing to stay there and then adapt the E46 charcoal canister and DMTL. Another option that I personally haven't done, but gpeterson (posted in this thread and on bimmerforums) used the Z3 DMTL + charcoal canister. That might be a good option as well, as you could conceivably keep your spare tire well.

For CA legality you will have to put stock catted headers on and put the factory intake manifold. I used the Z3M air cleaner/intake assembly, as it bolts directly up and is/looks OEM. The E46 one is a different size and shape and may not work, but if you have one lying around give it a try first.

I used the secondary air pump mounting bracket from the E46 m3, and fabricated some riveted brackets to hold it. This is also the bracket that supports the e46 m3 coolant reservoir. It fits quite nicely in the engine bay. and was $25ish?

You will also need a functional CEL. Gpeterson has a CAN adapter box that will let you keep your E36 gauge cluster and have a functional CEL, instead of going down my Z3M unobtanium cluster route. If I had known his solution existed I may have done that instead.

That's pretty much it, really. You just need all the factory emissions equipment for the year/engine you're certifying it as, and the less hack job and project car it looks, the more likely the ref is going to be lenient and brief.
Old Fri, Mar-11-2016, 06:04:46 PM   #43
gpeterson

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
Another option that I personally haven't done, but gpeterson (posted in this thread and on bimmerforums) used the Z3 DMTL + charcoal canister.
I actually didn't do this, I just bought one to see how it would work out. I currently have the M3 canister in the spare tire well.

I'm thinking it may be possible to use the stock canister and hook the DMTL pump inline with the canister vent/intake tube. Not sure if the ref would pass that.
Jump to top gpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-11-2016, 06:08:17 PM   #44
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
I actually didn't do this, I just bought one to see how it would work out. I currently have the M3 canister in the spare tire well.

I'm thinking it may be possible to use the stock canister and hook the DMTL pump inline with the canister vent/intake tube. Not sure if the ref would pass that.
Ah, my mistake. I wondered about using the OBD2 stuff. Functionally I'm sure it would work, but getting the ref to pass it would likely depend a lot on how kludgey it looks.

My ref looked at my tank, compared it to pictures, grumbled that the pictures sucked, and then went and looked at other parts of the car.
Old Fri, Mar-11-2016, 06:30:51 PM   #45
gpeterson

United States

Quote:
I used the secondary air pump mounting bracket from the E46 m3, and fabricated some riveted brackets to hold it. This is also the bracket that supports the e46 m3 coolant reservoir. It fits quite nicely in the engine bay. and was $25ish?
I did something similar by cutting & welding some steel to the E46 SAP/reservoir bracket to make it bolt to the existing chassis washer tank mounts.
Old Fri, Mar-11-2016, 06:32:55 PM   #46
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
I did something similar by cutting & welding some steel to the E46 SAP/reservoir bracket to make it bolt to the existing chassis washer tank mounts.
Nice! I wish I had learned how to weld, would simplify so many things.
Old Fri, Mar-11-2016, 10:22:44 PM   #47
gpeterson

United States

Quote:
You will also need a functional CEL. Gpeterson has a CAN adapter box that will let you keep your E36 gauge cluster and have a functional CEL, instead of going down my Z3M unobtanium cluster route. If I had known his solution existed I may have done that instead.
Thanks for mentioning that. I should have the first batch of boards ready to ship next week. They will also handle proper A/C and have the option of a few other tasks - see http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...8&postcount=50
Old Tue, Mar-15-2016, 03:54:50 AM   #48
A White m3
///M POWER

United States

Yes the OBD2 EVAP is deleted and plumbing removed. I've picked up SAP,charcoal canister with DTML and the expansion tank. These items were from a E46 M3, is there an issue with these or should the part #'s be from a z3m.

I don't have a Can adapter so no CEL. Only readable threw OBD2.

Sounds like the referee is OK mounting charcoal canister and expansion tank in the tire well. I read some old threads where the ref wanted it in the E46 location which is probably impossible.

Thanks for the insight.

Will you be at any upcoming events in the greater Bay Area?

S54 E36 M3 // E46 M3 6 // FELONY E36 M3
Jump to top A White m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-15-2016, 06:31:34 AM   #49
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by A White m3 View Post
Yes the OBD2 EVAP is deleted and plumbing removed. I've picked up SAP,charcoal canister with DTML and the expansion tank. These items were from a E46 M3, is there an issue with these or should the part #'s be from a z3m.

I don't have a Can adapter so no CEL. Only readable threw OBD2.

Sounds like the referee is OK mounting charcoal canister and expansion tank in the tire well. I read some old threads where the ref wanted it in the E46 location which is probably impossible.

Thanks for the insight.

Will you be at any upcoming events in the greater Bay Area?
You will need the E36 OBD2 expansion tank and plumbing at a minimum, the E46 one does not fit. I posted an image earlier in the thread showing which lines need to be stepped up/down in diameter to mate with the E46 DMTL/charcoal canister. Part number shouldn't be an issue between Z3M and E46, since the ref probably will not pull the part numbers. I would suggest using the same model parts as you are certifying the car as, i.e. if you're certifying as an S54 Z3 then use the Z3 parts in case they pull diagrams.

My ref didn't mind the location, but I might have gotten lucky. I don't much like the location since I now don't have a spare tire, but it works so I've been loath to change it.

You also need a functional CEL to pass smog, they need to see the light come on during start up.

I am planning on going to events a whole lot more often starting in mid-April. Anything coming up?
Old Tue, Mar-15-2016, 06:51:57 AM   #50
Pierre i am
ranch me brotendo

In the garage:

United States

This is so dope! I'm located in the Bay Area as well and would love to come check out this car.

https://m.imgur.com/r/funny/vrjdqZ4
Jump to top Pierre i am is offline   Reply With Quote