BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Fri, Jan-15-2016, 11:12:13 PM   #31
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Default Re: Bimmerman325i's 1995 M3 with an S54/Mk60, Certified California BAR legal

I adore this thread. Great work.

The CA certifications are really nice, but are there any plans to eventually delete the SAP and cats for a tad more power and cleaner engine bay? All I can think of when I look at that is just how nice that red area would look with nothing but a nice clean S54 (and CF airbox) sitting in the center. That's kind of my goal for one of my cars too, with one major hurdle...

Is Kalim a fellow Cornell grad? (I see Ithaca listed there...)
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-16-2016, 01:22:02 AM   #32
cyberkaa
:facepalm:

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Bimmerman325i's 1995 M3 with an S54/Mk60, Certified California BAR legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post

The CA certifications are really nice, but are there any plans to eventually delete the SAP and cats for a tad more power and cleaner engine bay? All I can think of when I look at that is just how nice that red area would look with nothing but a nice clean S54 (and CF airbox) sitting in the center. That's kind of my goal for one of my cars too, with one major hurdle...

Yup, Cornell ECE/CS.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Jump to top cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-16-2016, 01:37:52 AM   #33
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by svre46 View Post
Great read. The swap is so neatly done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post
Great factory fresh build! So many people cut corners during builds in the hopes it will save them money only to cost themselves time and money in the long run. Awesome work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat533i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHandzE46 View Post
Love this build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332ijunkie View Post
Looks Epic~!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post

Thanks all!

I have SS Stepped V1s waiting to go in, but am trying to source a catted mid section first. I have the SS V1 stepped section 1 without cats so I'm honestly curious how much difference in power/torque there is with the HJS vs no cats. Probably not enough to worry about, but I'd like to find out.

No plans to delete the SAP, as it's working fine. CF airbox will go in soon though.....
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-02-2016, 05:39:50 AM   #34
cruisin_psu

In the garage:

United States

*drooool* soooo nicely done! this is the E36 dreams are made of.

where are you in CA? would love to see the car!
Old Tue, Feb-02-2016, 05:49:01 AM   #35
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin_psu View Post
*drooool* soooo nicely done! this is the E36 dreams are made of.

where are you in CA? would love to see the car!
Thanks!! I'm in Palo Alto. The car is my acting DD since my actual DD got hit (alpine/modena m3/4/5 too!), and there are some suspension foibles and a dying alternator that I'm realizing need some attention, but overall its still rock solid and running great!

Are there any meets coming up? I haven't seen anything recently but the CCA supposedly has a cars and coffee thing coming up soon.
Old Tue, Feb-02-2016, 06:03:50 AM   #36
cruisin_psu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
Thanks!! I'm in Palo Alto. The car is my acting DD since my actual DD got hit (alpine/modena m3/4/5 too!), and there are some suspension foibles and a dying alternator that I'm realizing need some attention, but overall its still rock solid and running great!

Are there any meets coming up? I haven't seen anything recently but the CCA supposedly has a cars and coffee thing coming up soon.
Nice! That must be fun to daily. Bummer on the sedan getting hit! Mine is alpine/black.. a bit of a beater but its fun/carefree for now.

There is a Cars and Coffee SF on 2/13 on Treasure Island. I'm planning to hit it up. The last one was cancelled due to rain so this should be a good turn out.
Old Tue, Feb-02-2016, 06:08:46 AM   #37
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin_psu View Post
Nice! That must be fun to daily. Bummer on the sedan getting hit! Mine is alpine/black.. a bit of a beater but its fun/carefree for now.

There is a Cars and Coffee SF on 2/13 on Treasure Island. I'm planning to hit it up. The last one was cancelled due to rain so this should be a good turn out.
Damn, I can't make that one. I'm at Sonoma for a lemons race that whole weekend. I think cca's event is somewhere in east bay the following weekend.

It's pretty fun! I just wishit clunked less from the suspension, but goes to show racecar parts and bad roads don't mix. My sedan is completely stock, and I love it for a fun DD. Should be taking it to a body shop this week. Alpine M3/4/5 are awesome, regardless of interior color!
Old Tue, Feb-02-2016, 07:24:13 PM   #38
BMWjunkie11
That guy

In the garage:

United States

This is amazing, I wish I had the sort of skills to this kind of swap; I feel confident doing much of the work on my car, but this is a whole new level. Can't wait to see how this progresses.

2002 Jet Black/Grey ///M3

Full Supersprint Race Exhaust l PSDesigns Velocity Stack Kit l TMS Pulleys l TTFS Custom Alpha-N Tune l Work Brombachers

"Bags are for dead hookers"

Jump to top BMWjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-15-2016, 06:17:31 PM   #39
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

I dynoed the car in bone stock form for a baseline. The dyno operator didn't dyno from low rpm, which is a bit of a bummer. The motor looks super healthy for bone stock and 70k miles!

All three S54 runs with AFR (goes really rich at high RPM, this normal?) 287/241 whp/wtq.

Stock california-compliant S54 swap vs modded catless full bolt on S50 (no cams, but everything else):

Zoomed of same:

S54 vs Modded S50 vs 3.5" intake/LTW fly only S50

Next step is headers+tune+airbox+pullies+CSL DME....but it'll be a couple months.

Last edited by Bimmerman325i; Mon, Feb-15-2016 at 06:23:05 PM.
Old Mon, Feb-15-2016, 06:19:37 PM   #40
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie11 View Post
This is amazing, I wish I had the sort of skills to this kind of swap; I feel confident doing much of the work on my car, but this is a whole new level. Can't wait to see how this progresses.
Thanks! I didn't start working on cars until well into college, and even that was just simple pad changes. I just couldn't afford to pay for maintenance so I learned how to work on these over time with a Bentley and tools and very helpful and knowledgeable friends!