BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jun-28-2014, 03:25:42 AM   #21
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: OEM CSL MAP/IAT/FLAP Wiring

0-60,
Would you mind telling me what the diameter of the airbox inlet, or flap, is?
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jun-28-2014, 05:33:25 AM   #22
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Thanks Brother. I already have the boots etc. Just need the map connector cover. Actually as I have an actual CSL in the shop let me see if i can get the part number for the map cover from that
We might be SOL on the map cover. N54 uses the same part for the camshaft position sensor, so I took a look at that. The part number on there is 7511984, but that doesn't show up in the catalog.

Not a terrible loss, it's a cosmetic piece.

Edit 2: http://www.cslregister.com/forum/sho...35&postcount=4 It is indeed 7511984 on the real CSL too. Part number doesn't pull up anywhere, even if you type in the prefix as well (1252).

Last edited by terraphantm; Sat, Jun-28-2014 at 05:46:33 AM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-28-2014, 06:05:35 AM   #23
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post
0-60,
Would you mind telling me what the diameter of the airbox inlet, or flap, is?
Sure, Im going to the shop in a little bit. Will measure and post up for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
We might be SOL on the map cover. N54 uses the same part for the camshaft position sensor, so I took a look at that. The part number on there is 7511984, but that doesn't show up in the catalog.

Not a terrible loss, it's a cosmetic piece.

Edit 2: http://www.cslregister.com/forum/sho...35&postcount=4 It is indeed 7511984 on the real CSL too. Part number doesn't pull up anywhere, even if you type in the prefix as well (1252).
Damn it. Oh well Time to look through the scrap motors etc lying at the shop.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-28-2014, 06:14:55 AM   #24
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Sure, Im going to the shop in a little bit. Will measure and post up for you.

Damn it. Oh well Time to look through the scrap motors etc lying at the shop.

Yeah I'm going to try the cover for the alternator connector, and if that doesn't fit I'm just going to let it go. The connector won't be visible when installed on the sensor, that area doesn't really get dirty, and the rubber grommets in the pin will keep it water tight.

...Well maybe I'll steal it from my dad's 535 if he ever decides to trade the car
Old Sat, Jun-28-2014, 06:19:22 AM   #25
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Yeah I'm going to try the cover for the alternator connector, and if that doesn't fit I'm just going to let it go. The connector won't be visible when installed on the sensor, that area doesn't really get dirty, and the rubber grommets in the pin will keep it water tight.

...Well maybe I'll steal it from my dad's 535 if he ever decides to trade the car
LOL if I find more than one Ill send you one with my MSS54.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Old Sat, Jun-28-2014, 09:03:42 PM   #26
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Here's how to crimp contacts onto wire. I prefer to do this in order to avoid soldering (I don't like soldered connections in vehicle harnesses)

The contact I'm using is a little different than what most of the BMW connectors use, but the same principles apply.

You will need a crimping tool. These range from very cheap to very expensive. The expensive ones are usually the ratcheting sort that get perfect crimps every time with minimal effort. Not really necessary unless you're doing this day in and day out.

I use this one which I got for $30 on Amazon. Just search for "Weatherpack Crimper" on Amazon

First if your contacts came on a reel, cut away a single piece like so. Note how there's a small tab protruding at the end -- that is intentional, don't cut that away.

Now get your wire and strip away some insulation like so:

Next, insert the wire into the sealing grommet:

Now align the grommet and wire in the contact like so, and trim the copper strands such that they just barely extend past the front wings on the contact. Don't have to be too precise, just don't want the wires to be sticking out or not making complete contact

Now select the appropriate hole in the crimper and insert the front part of the contact and wire into it. In this case I used #2. The base of the contact should sit on the rounded part, and the two wings should face the part with a point. Now start squeezing the crimpers, and make sure the contact stays straight as it comes together. Squeeze the grips pretty tight and let go.

Repeat for the wings around the boot, except use the rounded holes (no point).

Final product should look like this, which you can insert into the connector like the premade wire/contacts from BMW.

Process for unsealed contacts is basically the same, except there's no rubber boot. Instead, the back two wings are crimped on the wire insulation itself. The crimper I posted above doesn't have a small enough rounded hole for those, so you'll have to get a little creative (or buy a different crimper). One of the pliers I have is perfect for it, but I have no idea who makes it (old toolset that my dad gave me)

Last edited by terraphantm; Sat, Jun-28-2014 at 09:06:45 PM.
Old Sun, Jun-29-2014, 12:17:14 AM   #27
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

^Excellent tip bro. Thanks for posting that.
Old Wed, Jul-02-2014, 02:22:44 PM   #28
06M3ZCP

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the info guys. My flap is in the open position for now until everything is sorted with the car.

By the way some of the questions I'm running into that if anyone can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated: What are the Input Signals to the H Bridge -- Continuous? Pulse? Amplitude, duration? In opening the flap I would imagine the input signal(s) are not a permanent H L otherwise the motor would always be running.

Is it fully open or closed or does the flap assume partially closed and open using the position sensor?

Journal:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597241

Previous:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=457440]
2006 AW/IR ZCP 6MT
OEM CSL Muffler, OEM CSL Console, Redish Plates TIG/rosette + wheel arch, Full Besian, Stoptech BBK. short shift kit

Last edited by 06M3ZCP; Wed, Jul-02-2014 at 03:36:44 PM.
Jump to top 06M3ZCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-02-2014, 05:07:54 PM   #29
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06M3ZCP View Post
Thanks for the info guys. My flap is in the open position for now until everything is sorted with the car.

By the way some of the questions I'm running into that if anyone can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated: What are the Input Signals to the H Bridge -- Continuous? Pulse? Amplitude, duration? In opening the flap I would imagine the input signal(s) are not a permanent H L otherwise the motor would always be running.

Is it fully open or closed or does the flap assume partially closed and open using the position sensor?
Datasheet on the H-bridge: http://cache.freescale.com/files/ana...et/MC33186.pdf

It's the same one used to operate the throttle actuator.

The flap is always open or close, but that's only because BMW programmed it that way. They could have made it operate more like a throttle body if they chose to do so.
Old Wed, Jul-02-2014, 05:20:46 PM   #30
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Terra, have you looked into tuning the flap to open earlier in non sport mode?