BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Mar-10-2015, 09:18:20 PM   #21
mgwatson

Canada

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing, Driver's Side

What are the symptoms of a failed/failing rear wheel bearing? I have a meannnn moaning noise from the rear of my car when I slowly turn left (more noticeable when I'm in my parkade). I just assumed it was my diff and will change the fluid ASAP, but the moaning is sometimes VERY loud and vibrates the inside of the cabin for a split second.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Mar-10-2015, 09:44:34 PM   #22
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

could be a bad rear wheel bearing, might even be the center shaft bearing. to be honest, I self diagnose my car and don't always get it right. when I finally drive my M3 tomorrow, if I still get some strange whine, then i'll know it could be the diff or something else. My CSB was changed out by the previous owner within weeks of selling it to me. Oh, could also be your front wheel bearings since you're experiencing this issue when turning?
Jump to top aa240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-10-2015, 10:54:47 PM   #23
mgwatson

Canada

It's definitely coming from the rear end. And I just reinforced my subframe and the CSB looked in perfect shape.
Old Tue, Mar-10-2015, 10:58:48 PM   #24
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwatson View Post
It's definitely coming from the rear end. And I just reinforced my subframe and the CSB looked in perfect shape.
I would wait until it's more consistent (personally) and it'll be easier to diagnose. The bearing in our 128i went bad with a "Thmthmthm" and I still had to put my weight on the wheel and rotate it for the thing to misbehave. After pulling it apart the bearing actually wasn't all that bad.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-11-2015, 03:56:06 PM   #25
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

mgwatson- sounds like bad bearings for you sir.

Anyway, drove my car to work today and everything is perfect. Amazing, how much quieter it is on the road.

One more thing I would like to share is even if you are not pounding on the axle to get it into the hub, using the axle to drive itself into the hub is not without its issues either. Case in point, for me, during one of my many hits to coerce the axle in, I inadvertantly hit the outer cv lip that allow the rubber cover to seat against the lip and form a seal for the oil. that caused the cover to come off the cv lip. Yikes! more issues? Actually, I caught my mistake early enough and proceeded to be very calculating in how I would coerce the axle. The rubber cover actually seated itself back without issue. Again, I hope I never have to do this job again!
Old Wed, Mar-11-2015, 05:08:34 PM   #26
mgwatson

Canada

Ya this job looks to be a huge PITA!

Last question... Wouldn't a bad wheel bearing make noise in a straight line as well?
Old Wed, Mar-11-2015, 05:11:02 PM   #27
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

Yes, makes a low humming sound straight line constant speed, but when you make turns, the pitch will change too. the noise and pitch just happens to be more obvious when it's the front wheels vs rear.

cost wise for me - it was roughly 75 bucks for the F** bearings from FCP left/right. 12 bucks for new axle nut sockets and another 125 for the driver side axle (used from Empire Auto Dismantling in Fontana, CA big ups to you!). Plus some tools from HF, custom made axle tool (20 bucks for welding and 10 bucks in parts) and tool rentals from autozone. definitely plan on also using jackstands, impact wrench, 13mm,12mm sockets for the exhausts, 16mm for the brake caliper and lower support bar, 17mm for the wheels, 36mm large socket for the axle nut, etorx (can't recall size) for the cv axle, etc etc.

funny - just a few months ago I did the right front wheel bearing (way easy compared to this) and now I have 3 good bearings and likely 1 front left bearing that will eventually fail.

Last edited by aa240sx; Wed, Mar-11-2015 at 05:19:27 PM.
Old Sun, Jun-16-2019, 06:22:17 PM   #28
herrubermensch

United States

Having just replaced my rear wheel bearings, RTABs, upper and lower outer bushings, and installed new lower control arms, I'll add my $.02 to the DIY.

For removal of everything, use an impact. You will hate yourself otherwise.
For the bushings buy or rent a tool with the threaded bolt and various washer/spacers. I bought one from an aftermarket company on eBay, and it made removal and installation of every bushing with an impact a piece of cake. For the wheel bearing itself, I used the threaded bolt/washer tool, but cranked it in carefully with a socket wrench after using a little white lithium grease on the inside of the rear trailing arm. Same process with the hub.

I was lucky when it came to reinstallation of axles into the hub, as I was installing some upgraded axles from Diffsonline, so the splines were perfect and slid in enough to get the axle nut started on the other side. I then used an impact on the low setting to tighten the nut for now, but will torque it to spec once the wheel is on the car and the tire on the ground.

The toughest part of my particular job was getting the new lower control arm bushings in the damn subframe! One side was so tight, it took about an hour of banging one side of the bushing and then the other until the bolt would go through.

--Peter
Jump to top herrubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-17-2019, 07:33:07 PM   #29
mercedesc63

United States

Just did all 4 on my z3m coupe worth every penny and rear takes practice to get. But do it!! Done it on two cars now it really improves a lot I’ve learned bad bearings can effect toe and even cause a slight pull. I have alignment before/after to prove this and on a side note thrashed fcabs can effect alignment also.

Fronts are easy...
1. Remove wheel and brakes
2. Use a hammer to knock out tabs on nut
3 use a breaker bar and jack or really powerful impact to remove 46mm nut
4 use jaw puller to remove whee bearing— in some cases they will slide right off.. if the race gets stuck use a dremmel or jaw puller to remove
5. Tap new bearing into place using 36mm socket until you can thread the new nut
6. Torque to 215 some odd foot pounds and use a hammer/flat head to make tab

Rears are hard but once you know its easy-
1. Remove wheel brakes
2 dremmel or bang out tabs on nut and use powerful impact to remove nut. I had to heat the nut up with a torch as it was siezed good.
3 remove axle whcih you can either hang or remove the exhaust to remove this
6. Use slide hammer to remove hub (rental from oriley) if race is stuck in hub use dremmel to remove
7 remove slip ring and use ever tough master wheel hub remover (rental oriley) to press out bearing
8 use the same tool to press in bearing and insert new slip ring
9 use same tool to press in new hub
10 replace nut torque to i believe 185 foot pounds
Jump to top mercedesc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 02:20:31 PM   #30
ThrowinShapes

In the garage:

United States

I have the SIR Tools B90-BMW rear wheel bearing tool for rent if anyone is interested.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1067291233

[06' AW/Cinnamon] [6MT] [Slicktop] [Manual Seats]
Journal - Update 2017-02-28

FS: Center Console | US Headers / Rear O2 | Rent: SIR B90-BMW Rear Wheel Bearing Tool

Jump to top ThrowinShapes is offline   Reply With Quote