BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Marketplace > Parts for Sale/Wanted > E36 / E30 - Parts for Sale/Wanted
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 / E30 - Parts for Sale/Wanted Use this section to post parts for sale or wanted that are related to the E36 or E30 only.

Old Fri, Nov-01-2013, 05:40:33 PM   #41
David@ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Default Re: ► APEX | ARC-8 Light Weight Track Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
When are 17x8.5" in hyper silver or hyper black going to be in stock?
We are expecting a shipment that includes both of those finishes in the month of December, so pretty soon!
Jump to top David@ApexRaceParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-05-2013, 11:12:46 PM   #42
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

picked up a set of 18x9.5 et35's in hyper silver. I am so stocked to get them mounted up next year. Wheel is unbelievable quality and impressively light even for an 18"
Jump to top englishtom1596q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-06-2013, 12:58:06 AM   #43
RAAMaudio

United States

I want the concave wheels, badly! I have owned one set of 17x8.5 +40 and four sets of 18x10.5 Arc 8 wheels and really prefer the concave look.

I want to go as wide as I can on my 332ti, TMS stage 4 (around 300HP, 2700 lbs) street/track car and have measured, calculated, etc.......

I have just enough clearance for the 17x9.5 +35 up front, 6mm to the GC hybrid street/track coilovers is more than enough to allow for any flex....but, they would stick out quite a bit and not sure how much I can roll the fenders, I have done others but not sure on the ti if I can get enough to cover them a bit.

Looking at a sq 245/40 setup running something Hankook RS3's for street and track. I know I can run the 9.0 but they are either +30 so stick out about the same as the 9.5 +35 or the +42 in 9.0 but it has the flat face. I might run flat front and concave rear if I have to.

If the 9.5 is just to wide then the 9.0 in 42mm would have to be used up front and the 9.5 in the rear, staggered setup but I would want 255/40 rear and 235/40 fronts but hardly any tires made in that size.....even in 235/45 and I want more than a 225....

I am putting an Mtech bumper cover on both ends of the car, not sure if wider than the stock front bumper on the ti.

Any good info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by RAAMaudio; Wed, Nov-06-2013 at 01:01:23 AM.
Jump to top RAAMaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-06-2013, 08:31:51 PM   #44
David@ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAMaudio View Post
I want the concave wheels, badly! I have owned one set of 17x8.5 +40 and four sets of 18x10.5 Arc 8 wheels and really prefer the concave look.

I want to go as wide as I can on my 332ti, TMS stage 4 (around 300HP, 2700 lbs) street/track car and have measured, calculated, etc.......

I have just enough clearance for the 17x9.5 +35 up front, 6mm to the GC hybrid street/track coilovers is more than enough to allow for any flex....but, they would stick out quite a bit and not sure how much I can roll the fenders, I have done others but not sure on the ti if I can get enough to cover them a bit.

Looking at a sq 245/40 setup running something Hankook RS3's for street and track. I know I can run the 9.0 but they are either +30 so stick out about the same as the 9.5 +35 or the +42 in 9.0 but it has the flat face. I might run flat front and concave rear if I have to.

If the 9.5 is just to wide then the 9.0 in 42mm would have to be used up front and the 9.5 in the rear, staggered setup but I would want 255/40 rear and 235/40 fronts but hardly any tires made in that size.....even in 235/45 and I want more than a 225....

I am putting an Mtech bumper cover on both ends of the car, not sure if wider than the stock front bumper on the ti.

Any good info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
Rick, we are not certain if the rear of the TI is any different than a standard E36, but from what we have seen and what we know, they should be the same fitment.

The 17x9.5" ET35 ARC-8's are the most aggressive 17" wheel set up available for the E36 chassis. Because of the wheel's concavity, it is most commonly used as a street fitment with undersized and stretched sidewall 245/40/17 street tires, but can also be adapted for track/auto x use with the right specifications and precautions taken from above. The wheel extends out 13mm more than the standard 17x9" ET42 set up in the rear. Those measurements give you an idea of how much more fender rolling and pulling is required when using this wheel set up over the 17x9" ET42. Strut side clearance in the front is extremely close. The 17x9.5" ET35 with a 5mm wheel spacer is 6mm closer to the strut than the more common 17x9" ET42 with a 12mm wheel spacer. Even with the 5mm wheel spacer spring perch location with coilovers is very important. The required camber in front would be at least -3 degrees in conjunction with the 5mm wheel spacer.

Make sure that the spring perch is above the wheel and tire so the perch is above the tire, which shouldn't be an issue because it seems like you only changed out the struts with some lowering springs. The rear fenders do need to be rolled, when in use with a 245/40/17 tire size. The area of contact is the worst where the rear bumper meets the fender so focus on that area with your fender roller the most. With the Hankook RS3 running wider than most other street tires, you may need to shave the bumper tab to avoid rubbing. The rear camber should be maxed out, at least -2 degrees for it to avoid rubbing.

Some people go with a staggered setup of 17x9.0" ET30 front and 17x9.5" ET35 rear so that the fronts would not require a spacer to clear the strut. Also, the 17x9.0" ET30 squared can also be done, but due to the wheel not being as wide, the rears would require a fender pull so that it would clear, since the extra half inch of width on the 17x9.5" ET35 stretches the tire enough to provide a few millimeters of extra clearance.
Old Thu, Nov-07-2013, 04:42:56 PM   #45
RAAMaudio

United States

David,
Thanks for taking the time to write all this up, explain things, etc...and for our talk on the phone before this, I realized it was you after I posted this

I did not realize those tires were wider than specs show, the old Hoosier trick copied by others for autocross classes with limits on tire width that go by the numbers, not actual width

I have been focusing primarily on strut and other clearances up front as many more factors to consider there.

Not sure why I have so much more strut clearance up front but I have this setup:

TI knuckles
M3 hubs
CG coilovers
17x8 +40mm wheels for measurement purposes
215/45/17 tires(came that way, soon to install 225/45/17's)
20mm clearance to the strut housing.

The spring perch is high enough to not be an issue with the 215 and I measured the 225 and 245/40/17 tires I have on hand and they will work as the perches will be high enough on the coilovers.

I am going to measure the ti and M3 hubs to see if indeed the combo I have is what is giving me more clearance up front.

I have fit dozens of wheels and tires to cars that were a tight fit, draw it all out in full scale if it is critical and also check for fender, suspension, brake, etc clearance so I do have some experience but my numbers just do not match your numbers and I know you have a huge amount more experience in BMW fitments than I will ever have.

I had 17x8.5 Arc 8, +40mm, with the 245/70/17 tires mounted on the car(I bought he wheels and tires used, I would never run a 245 on an 8.5 wide wheel by choice) and had 15mm clearance to the Bilstein struts that were on the car when I bought it.

I have plotted these wheels can came up with this info, on my particular setup, at the most I might be off 1mm in any dimension but will triple check the results, already double checked them. * equals wheels I tested on the car with Bilstien struts, ** test fit off the car but using actual parts, coilovers, etc, all bolted together.

Size: Back Space: Front Space: Strut Clearance: */**

15x8 +22 142mm 87mm 33mm */**

17x8 +40 155mm 75mm 20mm */**

17x8.5 +40 161mm 81mm 15mm *

17x9 +30 158mm 97mm 18mm

17x9 +42 169mm 85mm 6mm

17x9.5 +35 169mm 99mm 7mm

17x10 +25 169mm 119mm 11mm

I also have many spacers, hub centric 12 and 20 mm, slim non centric in 4, 5 and 7mm on hand and extended studs on the car instead of using bolts. I am trying to not use spacers so I can tuck the wheels under as much as possible and also cause less strain on the wheel bearings. As you would know the close to center of the stock offset when running wider wheels the better for many other reasons as well, why I want to keep things as tucked in as I can.

I also have to consider clearing the inner fender wells, etc, when at full lock, under compression, etc...and outer edges when turning as well.

Maybe I can find some banged up wheels to test all this with then just sell them when ready to order new ones.

Thanks
Rick
Old Thu, Nov-07-2013, 04:44:02 PM   #46
RAAMaudio

United States

Edited out, making a thread on this touchy subject about real versus "stance" performance

Last edited by RAAMaudio; Fri, Nov-08-2013 at 11:25:56 PM.
Old Thu, Nov-07-2013, 10:42:52 PM   #47
RAAMaudio

United States

I just pulled the M3 hub off the ti spindles to see if that makes the difference as to why I have more space between wheel and struts, same exact width on ti or M3 hubs......

I am wondering if the M3 or regular E36 spindles might have a difference in the mounting for the struts to the spindles......???

I might just order two 17x9.5 wheels and test fit them front and rear on my second ti before I sell it then I can determine for sure if I want to get the same front and rear or if I have to get the 17x9 for the fronts.

Or just get all 17x9.5 and do whatever it takes to make them fit the car!

Rick
Old Tue, Nov-12-2013, 01:41:40 AM   #48
RAAMaudio

United States

Very clean car, sweet really, not much into different wheel colors normally but it looks great on that car

I really have had a huge number of wheels and tires over the past decades and really believe yours are the very best wheels for the money I have ever ran, why I am so keen on running them on the 332ti, I just need to be sure to get the right setup for my fairly high powered and well setup car(when I finish the build that is

I have a lot of irons in the fire right now besides picking wheels sizes, finishing up the high end audio and 50" LED smart tv in the trailer install, have to finish the dually audio install, drop the tank to find out why the 60 gallon custom tank ran out at 50 gallons, finish the Avalanche rear seat mounting fabrication, custom two tone leather install, build the ti that is completely stripped on the lift, put the other ti together and sell it, sell a ton more race, performance, audio, etc parts sell off, finish up some house mods, repairs, etc to get it ready to sell, and I still work on my business a few hours a day....

I feel like I invented multitasking sometimes

Rick

Last edited by RAAMaudio; Tue, Nov-12-2013 at 02:01:31 AM.
Old Wed, Nov-13-2013, 12:15:39 AM   #49
David@ApexRaceParts
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAMaudio View Post
Very clean car, sweet really, not much into different wheel colors normally but it looks great on that car

I really have had a huge number of wheels and tires over the past decades and really believe yours are the very best wheels for the money I have ever ran, why I am so keen on running them on the 332ti, I just need to be sure to get the right setup for my fairly high powered and well setup car(when I finish the build that is

I have a lot of irons in the fire right now besides picking wheels sizes, finishing up the high end audio and 50" LED smart tv in the trailer install, have to finish the dually audio install, drop the tank to find out why the 60 gallon custom tank ran out at 50 gallons, finish the Avalanche rear seat mounting fabrication, custom two tone leather install, build the ti that is completely stripped on the lift, put the other ti together and sell it, sell a ton more race, performance, audio, etc parts sell off, finish up some house mods, repairs, etc to get it ready to sell, and I still work on my business a few hours a day....

I feel like I invented multitasking sometimes

Rick
Rick, we are definitely looking forward to what you end up choosing to do, and hope to see your project spring to life soon. We're very happy to know that you are happy with our wheels and have chosen to go with our wheels for your new project car. Good luck with your multiple projects that you have going on!
Old Thu, Nov-14-2013, 08:16:18 AM   #50
Cjaybaybay

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
Estoril Blue E36 M3 stanced on 18x9.5" et35 ARC-8's wrapped in 245/35/18 Hankook V12s. Rear fenders are rolled with 5mm spacers all around to clear the Bilstein PSS9s with -2 degrees of camber all around

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding fitment!
so beauriful! I just bought a Alpine white E36 M3 and I want to have this exact set up. I want to have as concave as it gets and I want it pretty wide. I'm completely stock right now and these rims would be my first mod.
So it would be 18x9.5 et35 squared and tires 245/35/18. Would spacers, camber, and fender rolling still be necessary? But I was thinking of just putting 5mm spacers just to have a little more width. Also I live in Pleasanton,CA so would I be able to just stop by and buy them in Livermore or would I still need to order them and pick em up there? And would it possibly be cheaper if I just buy em at Livermore? And finally last question lol what color is that? Hyper black? What color would look best on my car? Any pics and how do I get my fenders to flare out and arch more? Is that the result of fender rolling or is it just a whole new fender
Jump to top Cjaybaybay is offline   Reply With Quote