BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 06:47:40 PM   #31
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Smg hydraulic unit rebuild

Ok cool, that would be easy. So the only issue would be is the thread pitch. You can get SS adapters like the one below I used to adapt a larger oil filter to my truck. These come in several sizes.

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 07:00:35 PM   #32
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Ok cool, that would be easy. So the only issue would be is the thread pitch. You can get SS adapters like the one below I used to adapt a larger oil filter to my truck. These come in several sizes.

Sounds like you might be able to use the E6X accumulator if your able to find a similar solution.

Also to others looking to purchase an SMG relocation kit, Burkhart has just recently released their mounting bracket for the relocation of the SMG II pump. Whats great about this kit is they include these rubber bushings to reduce the noise that the unit makes being directly mounted to the cars body. Once I complete my rebuild I'm going to look into mounting my relocation bracket on bushings to hopefully reduce the annoying SMG sounds that I've been experiancing after my relocation.

https://burkhart-engineering.com/epa...Products/54696

EXTERIORVÖRSTEINER CSL BUMPER | MILE END CSL 1X1 DIFFUSER & FLIPPERS
ENGINE ▌TUNED BY PAUL-CLAUDE | KARBONIUS CSL AIRBOX (ALPHA N), OE SNORKEL + CSL DUCTING | VANOS BEISAN LOCKDOWN
TRANSMISSION ▌SMG HCU RELOCATED & REBUILT W/ NEW SEALS, ACCUMULATOR & BURKHART KIT
SUSPENSIONTURNER MOTORSPORT 30MM FRONT SWAY BAR | KW V3 COILOVERS | ROGUE RSM | GROUNDCONTROL STREET CAMBER PLATES | SDW RTABS
EXHAUSTSUPERSPRINT EXHAUST ~ OVERSIZED STEPPED V1 HEADERS | RACE CATTED SEC 1 | STOCK2 | SPORT (GEN 2) SEC 3
BRAKES ▌CSL/ZCP ROTORS | PORSCHE 996 BREMBO CALIPERS | SS LINES
WHEELS ▌OEM CSL BBS 19" | 75MM ECS/TMS WHEEL STUDS

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/good_m3/?hl=en
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW...3N7QDfZ5NSzriA

Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599036
Jump to top Good is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 07:45:11 PM   #33
SMG cog light

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansize View Post
Correct and good point.

Currently I don't have any problems with my SMG system. I'm doing this to bullet proof and ease my future maintenance.
Are you using a resistor mod?

Last edited by SMG cog light; Tue, Jun-18-2019 at 08:13:07 PM.
Jump to top SMG cog light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 07:48:23 PM   #34
SMG cog light

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivagolee View Post
I wonder if anyone knows about this accumulator and why it’s $2300? Says it’s upgraded but wasn’t sure what is better than the OEM one is:

https://mlreng.com/products/e46-m3-s...de-21532229716
this accumulator claims to holds more charge (back up pressure in bars) and nitrogen can also be recharged if the gas needs to be recharged.
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 07:51:53 PM   #35
SMG cog light

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrivera141 View Post
Are accumulators meeting changed because there bad or just because? I thought it was too be changed if the pressure was not staying or at a certain level that isn't drivable. I've been meaning to do this as I have had the Burkhart Motor sitting in the box for a year, waiting to do the rehaul until I started to try and save for the relocation kit. Smh. I need to get shit done already. And how does the solenoid unit get tested, by magnets you can open and close the contacts? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
the accumulator needs to be replaced if you use a scanner or DIS to test it and it is below 29 psi. NOTE: your SMG system will seem to work fine and will shift and drive normally even with a failing or failed accumulator. It's just your electric motor is working overtime to create the pressure as fast as the pressure is dropping in your accumulator. If you keep driving in this condition with a failed accumulator; your commutators on your motor will become toast. This is why it is very important to check your accumulator pressure often.

The solenoids gets tested by using an ohm meter to test the leads. The Solenoid coils should read between 2.80Ώ +/-2%
You can also apply a 12v power to the solenoid and you will hear a click. Highly recommended to do this test since you are reconditioning everything. Because if you replace all the seals but have a dead solenoid;... well you get the point.

Last edited by SMG cog light; Tue, Jun-18-2019 at 07:57:21 PM.
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 08:05:11 PM   #36
SMG cog light

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by running the accumulator pressure test, you can't be sure the accumulator is failing if you haven't replaced all the internal/external seals.
If it is a present leak where it's from a nut not being tight or a smg line or reservoir leak then yes, you might get false readings.

But if it's from internal leaks that are from the solenoid O ring seals, then no; as this leak will only happen at very high pressure and temperature. This leak is known as high temperature leak and there is an SMG code (55 (0x37), 56 (0x38) specific to this error also that can accompany this. So in normal cold fluid the seals might hold and your accumulator pressure will look good and pressure decay may look normal. But once fluid temps get hot and thin, it tends to now leak through the old solenoid seals.

This is usually the symptom of high temperature internal leaks:

When you have replaced the electric motor, and installed a new accumulator, but your car still goes into neutral and drops out of gear during hot days with the a/c on, in stop and go traffic.

Last edited by SMG cog light; Tue, Jun-18-2019 at 08:09:18 PM.
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 08:56:37 PM   #37
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG cog light View Post

This is usually the symptom of high temperature internal leaks:

When you have replaced the electric motor, and installed a new accumulator, but your car still goes into neutral and drops out of gear during hot days with the a/c on, in stop and go traffic.

This is exactly what I've been experiencing! I had installed a new motor, temperature sensor and still suffered the dropping out of gear in traffic. So I ordered a new accumulator, planning to replace it too thinking my problems were solved with a new motor and accumulator, but then after reading your thread behind internal leaks, I decided to rebuild the unit.

ENGINE ▌TUNED BY PAUL-CLAUDE | KARBONIUS CSL AIRBOX (ALPHA N), OE SNORKEL + CSL DUCTING | VANOS BEISAN LOCKDOWN
TRANSMISSION ▌SMG HCU RELOCATED & REBUILT W/ NEW SEALS, ACCUMULATOR & BURKHART KIT
SUSPENSIONTURNER MOTORSPORT 30MM FRONT SWAY BAR | KW V3 COILOVERS | ROGUE RSM | GROUNDCONTROL STREET CAMBER PLATES | SDW RTABS
EXHAUSTSUPERSPRINT EXHAUST ~ OVERSIZED STEPPED V1 HEADERS | RACE CATTED SEC 1 | STOCK2 | SPORT (GEN 2) SEC 3

Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 09:07:15 PM   #38
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Sounds like you might be able to use the E6X accumulator if your able to find a similar solution.

Also to others looking to purchase an SMG relocation kit, Burkhart has just recently released their mounting bracket for the relocation of the SMG II pump. Whats great about this kit is they include these rubber bushings to reduce the noise that the unit makes being directly mounted to the cars body. Once I complete my rebuild I'm going to look into mounting my relocation bracket on bushings to hopefully reduce the annoying SMG sounds that I've been experiancing after my relocation.

https://burkhart-engineering.com/epa...Products/54696
Looks like they tried to copy a lot of our design principles....But theirs looks WAY messier and less OEM-esque.

Rubber bushings are a good idea though.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 09:27:33 PM   #39
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Looks like they tried to copy a lot of our design principles....But theirs looks WAY messier and less OEM-esque.

Rubber bushings are a good idea though.

I agree, I do prefer the layout you and idntknow2005 designed, but I do wish rubber dampers were included to cut down on the vibration and noise that runs through the drug bin. Overall I'm happy I stuck with your relocation kit over BE's.

Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 09:29:10 PM   #40
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I agree, I do prefer the layout you and idntknow2005 designed, but I do wish rubber dampers were included to cut down on the vibration and noise that runs through the drug bin. Overall I'm happy I stuck with your relocation kit over BE's.
Good info as now I know to rig something up damper wise when my kit arrives.
Storm Motorwerks SMG Paddles | Two Tone Black/Grey Interior | Alcantara E-brake Boot
Very Recent Maintenance: FCABs | FCAs | RTABs | Motor Mounts | PS Hoses | Inner/Outer Tie Rods | End Links | Vanos Solenoid |
Driveshaft R&R | Flex Disc | Fan Clutch | Trans Fluid | Diff fluid
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote