BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > General BMW > General BMW Discussion
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

General BMW Discussion Place to discuss all things BMW. And a place for E30, E36, and E46 owners to get to know each other! BMW News


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mon, Jun-17-2019, 06:13:28 PM   #481
Paulo M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,381
Reputation: 0 Paulo M is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMak View Post

All the SMG fan boys need to face it. SMG was rubbish in this car. It cost thousands to fix and broke often. It also took away from the driving experience. I'm still on my original clutch and transmission at 165k miles. Still shifts smooth and feels great going through the gears. I
I agree, smg is rubbish. But let’s be real, convertible e46 m3 is the least desireable model out there, by far. Even now, an smg zcp sells for a premium. SMG model with nice color combo sells for a premium. There’s no convertible e46 that sells for a premium bcs vast majority don’t want it. That part will not change 5-10 yrs from now.

And don’t forget csl will be coming here soon with smg. And you can swap a 6mt into an smg for Dirt cheap.
__________________
BREMBO APEX DIXIS
Jump to top Paulo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-17-2019, 06:35:53 PM   #482
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 38,078
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Were I in the market, I'd buy an SMG car for sure...

... and then immediately convert it.

Much easier to find a good car when SMG cars are included in your search (much less picked over), and the price difference is 10X the conversion cost.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-17-2019, 09:13:24 PM   #483
CraigMak
Registered User
 
CraigMak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 490
Reputation: 0 CraigMak is on a distinguished road
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Seriously? We are comparing cars with stocks and real-estate? U are really thickening your the plot as details continue to mold impressions.

Appreciating 165k mi convertible e46 m3? It probably has a grey interior too. You wouldn’t get 10k for it. Your a manual guy but opted for the extra 400#s of barbie car? Good luck.

Its not an e30. There were well over 4x the amount of e46s produced as e30s. The highest production of any 3 series m ever produced by a great majority. The closest volume production being the e36 that was outsold by 15k cars upon arrival of the e46. Production numbers have actually been dwindling and with Trumps new agenda and upon his reelection, will continue to plummet as prices continue to rise in the US well past domestic competitors. The e46 will never even see e30 values let alone 50k.

If you were a financial genius you would not be here discussing resale values on a 15 year old mass production car. Its not a rare car. Not nearly as rare as the m2c will be. But who cares.

I buy my cars to drive and I will be happy to line either my 2 four seaters up with yours any day of the week to measure joy and thrills. Not to leave a high milage rust bucket in my garage to sell to ken 40 years down the road for a perceived value.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Convertibles are barbie cars? OK then. It's a great driving experience. I don't recall claiming to be a financial genius nor that my specific car is rising massively in value. The appreciation is for e46 M3's in general, most of which are coupes. I'm well aware that verts are not the most desirable of M3's for enthusiasts but 6MT's are.

Never have I seen some one get so toxic and aggressive when telling them that they have an appreciating asset. You think that Trump is going to be re-elected so I guess it comes from that. Childish, toxic, aggressive responses are expected from a Trumpster.

If you must know, I'm quite tempted to sell and purchase a manual, coupe, low mileage LSB if I decide to keep owning an e46 M3 for the long haul.

The Vert has been fun and enjoyable but that would be a nice switcheroo while we're at the bottom in prices.
__________________

________________________________________________
2001 BMW M3 Vert Imola Red|Black Grills&Vents|Custom German Plate|19" Deep Dish Rims|CF Roundel|
1998 BMW 328i |M3 Bumper|Chrome Grill|Clear Corners|eyebrows|Trunk Lip|Euro Fogs|German Plate|

Last edited by CraigMak; Mon, Jun-17-2019 at 09:16:41 PM.
Jump to top CraigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-17-2019, 09:17:39 PM   #484
CraigMak
Registered User
 
CraigMak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 490
Reputation: 0 CraigMak is on a distinguished road
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Were I in the market, I'd buy an SMG car for sure...

... and then immediately convert it.

Much easier to find a good car when SMG cars are included in your search (much less picked over), and the price difference is 10X the conversion cost.
What is the realistic cost of that conversion at an indy shop?
__________________

________________________________________________
2001 BMW M3 Vert Imola Red|Black Grills&Vents|Custom German Plate|19" Deep Dish Rims|CF Roundel|
1998 BMW 328i |M3 Bumper|Chrome Grill|Clear Corners|eyebrows|Trunk Lip|Euro Fogs|German Plate|
Jump to top CraigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-17-2019, 10:13:53 PM   #485
fattycharged
can't even
 
fattycharged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,130
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 fattycharged has disabled reputation
Location: Houston

Zimbabwe




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMak View Post
What is the realistic cost of that conversion at an indy shop?


$CAE shifter and a clutch pedal ďishĒ


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Topo Chico
Jump to top fattycharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 01:12:11 AM   #486
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 38,078
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMak View Post
What is the realistic cost of that conversion at an indy shop?
No idea whatsoever!

When I said 10x the difference, I was assuming I'd do the conversion myself.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 01:30:48 AM   #487
808elise
Registered User
 
808elise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 0 808elise is on a distinguished road
Location: Waikikiiiiiiiiiiii.iiiiiiii...i

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMak View Post
Convertibles are barbie cars? OK then. It's a great driving experience. I don't recall claiming to be a financial genius nor that my specific car is rising massively in value. The appreciation is for e46 M3's in general, most of which are coupes. I'm well aware that verts are not the most desirable of M3's for enthusiasts but 6MT's are.

Never have I seen some one get so toxic and aggressive when telling them that they have an appreciating asset. You think that Trump is going to be re-elected so I guess it comes from that. Childish, toxic, aggressive responses are expected from a Trumpster.

If you must know, I'm quite tempted to sell and purchase a manual, coupe, low mileage LSB if I decide to keep owning an e46 M3 for the long haul.

The Vert has been fun and enjoyable but that would be a nice switcheroo while we're at the bottom in prices.


1. Absolutely! Depends if u want the extra weight in your sports car and added maintenance in your budget for the gentle breeze of the San Francisco air through your golden lochs.... or whatever. The convertible experience? How bout we get back on topic and focus on the pure drivers experience and outright f87 domination in ever category over the e46 (speculated, or have u actually driven the f87?) experience?

2. Then why bring up your financial prudence? The experience, as you have eluded too, has more to do with driving the car and not the cost. The conversion requires a bunch of stuff most manual guys would want to upgrade anyhow. Cost depends on quality of conversion. Iíd buy a better maintained example over a manual without a doubt.

3. Yes Iím admittedly aggressive. However, pretty sure my opinions are well suited for a public forum. The trump stuff had more to do with my IRLS background and direction toward tariffs we are headed toward... Its just like a barbie to immediately pick up on the anti-trump propaganda and ignore my point. And Trump is going to win. If Iím wrong, you can race me topless for a cup of coffee...

4. Ok, cool story. I mean i like e46s too. I just like the f87 and all of its tech/easily upgradeable power and balance in stock form for a daily driver. I am also tired of flushing maintenance money down the drain. The f87 is saving me every cent of that for the next four years. I know its not a wash but my sanity, time, and experience are worth it to me at this current point in my life. The situation may be different for you where the numbers just donít add up on either side of that spectrum.

5. I said to switch from a 10k e46 to f87 is a drop in the budget bucket. If it isnít a drop in the bucket, why are you weighing in anyhow? I recommended keeping the e46 and adding the f87 to those who have the means. Donít convolute the data just bc it does not currently fit your lifestyle. If it does fit, pull the trigger bc you wont regret it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
-Josh
Jump to top 808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 01:52:09 AM   #488
Goose81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 893
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Goose81 is on a distinguished road
Location: St. Louis

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
No idea whatsoever!

When I said 10x the difference, I was assuming I'd do the conversion myself.
Now you have me wanting to convert my LSB slicktop just for resale purposes.
Jump to top Goose81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 03:53:54 AM   #489
Lingsweiler
College Station, Texas
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 33
Reputation: 0 Lingsweiler is on a distinguished road
Location: College Station

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
No idea whatsoever!

When I said 10x the difference, I was assuming I'd do the conversion myself.
In Texas, I've gotten quoted from $2500 to $4000 at several indy shops. I believe the $2500 one did not include a new clutch, which would mean I would raise the average to more like $3k+ to do the job right.
__________________
Garage
02 BMW M3 - Current
10 BMW 535i (N54) - Current
01 BMW 330ci - Sold
01 Audi S4 6mt - Sold

Last edited by Lingsweiler; Tue, Jun-18-2019 at 04:05:32 AM. Reason: Shortening post
Jump to top Lingsweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2019, 08:35:03 PM   #490
CraigMak
Registered User
 
CraigMak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 490
Reputation: 0 CraigMak is on a distinguished road
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
1. Absolutely! Depends if u want the extra weight in your sports car and added maintenance in your budget for the gentle breeze of the San Francisco air through your golden lochs.... or whatever. The convertible experience? How bout we get back on topic and focus on the pure drivers experience and outright f87 domination in ever category over the e46 (speculated, or have u actually driven the f87?) experience?

2. Then why bring up your financial prudence? The experience, as you have eluded too, has more to do with driving the car and not the cost. The conversion requires a bunch of stuff most manual guys would want to upgrade anyhow. Cost depends on quality of conversion. Iíd buy a better maintained example over a manual without a doubt.

3. Yes Iím admittedly aggressive. However, pretty sure my opinions are well suited for a public forum. The trump stuff had more to do with my IRLS background and direction toward tariffs we are headed toward... Its just like a barbie to immediately pick up on the anti-trump propaganda and ignore my point. And Trump is going to win. If Iím wrong, you can race me topless for a cup of coffee...

4. Ok, cool story. I mean i like e46s too. I just like the f87 and all of its tech/easily upgradeable power and balance in stock form for a daily driver. I am also tired of flushing maintenance money down the drain. The f87 is saving me every cent of that for the next four years. I know its not a wash but my sanity, time, and experience are worth it to me at this current point in my life. The situation may be different for you where the numbers just donít add up on either side of that spectrum.

5. I said to switch from a 10k e46 to f87 is a drop in the budget bucket. If it isnít a drop in the bucket, why are you weighing in anyhow? I recommended keeping the e46 and adding the f87 to those who have the means. Donít convolute the data just bc it does not currently fit your lifestyle. If it does fit, pull the trigger bc you wont regret it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 Since I was coming from a 328i 4 door the extra weight was not an issue at the time and the option to have the top down felt amazing. Although it did add some unreliability. In the first few years I owned the car 2 of the 3 times I took it into the shop were for convertible issues.

#2 The question was being posed so I offered an opinion on the matter that may not have been offered. If you only want people to parrot what you're already thinking then what's the point of the post? The first 12 years of ownership, appreciation was not a factor at all, only enjoyment. Now the vehicle is becoming an appreciating asset and that deserves some consideration. Especially if it's being sold for a depreciating asset.

#3 I would expect an aggressive, trollish response on a youtube video but not a forum where we supposedly all share common interests and are supposed to be helping one another fix cars and make purchase decisions. IMO the tariffs are an absolutely horrible idea and will ruin our economy. I was optimistic about Trump's effect on the economy until this year. He has done nothing but damage the real economy and the stock market. We don't need low paying jobs here and manufacturing would certainly be automated. It would not yield a lot of jobs like back in the 50's. If fewer cars are imported I guess that would have a positive effect on used prices and future. Not much of a silver lining.

#4 Owning the e46 M3 has actually saved me money. I have been happy with it and not had to purchase new cars for the past 12 years. For me it has had a very positive effect on my finances compared to buying something I'm not 100% happy with and getting a new car payment every 3 - 5 years.

#5 I would honestly get a 997 911 in that price range over an M2. The Porsche 911 will likely appreciate, be more fun to drive, more reliable and even offer more badge appeal. The M2 only offers new creature comforts. Just my opinion. If you care about reliability and creature comforts then why not go all the way and get an RC-F? The M2 doesn't offer a manual anymore anyways.
__________________

________________________________________________
2001 BMW M3 Vert Imola Red|Black Grills&Vents|Custom German Plate|19" Deep Dish Rims|CF Roundel|
1998 BMW 328i |M3 Bumper|Chrome Grill|Clear Corners|eyebrows|Trunk Lip|Euro Fogs|German Plate|
Jump to top CraigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Should I sell my e46 for M2? in the General BMW Discussion Forum - Place to discuss all things BMW. And a place for E30, E36, and E46 owners to get to know each other! BMW News at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)