BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 02:49:34 AM   #31
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Default Re: New Build - E36 N54 Swap - How did I do it?!

More Progress!!! Let's see some paint huh!?

So I had to paint 4 Items:
Front bumper
Grill Support
Core Support
Engine Bay

Most of the prep was pretty easy. I wasn't going for perfect, especially since the car is far from perfect, but more because I'm still learning!

First, I performed some body fill on the parts:

Put some seam seal on the welds:

Then I Primed them:

Then I painted them. Base/Clear 2 stage paint: I didn't do any color sanding, but that can be done later after the clear coat hardens a bit more.

Started Assembly:

I had an issue with the grill. It cracked, so I used come Q-Bond, which is a powder type material and when you put Krazy Glue on it, it instantly hardens. AWESOME tool for anyone who needs to fix a plastic piece or part that broke. Very useful.

So I primed and painted the grill and installed it in the grill support.

This video is kinda long, but it has some good info that you might like!

Thanks for watching guys!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Jump to top Macalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-17-2019, 09:33:45 PM   #32
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Now that we got the paint on, time for final assembly! This was eventually broken out into a few videos. I did this because of the sheer work and level of detail I wanted to cover. Now, I broke it out as follows:

Prepping for Final Assembly:
Rhino Liner Install on below the frame rails. I removed all of the masking from the engine bay. Reassembled the M3 bumper. I fixed the grill, painted it, and assembled it into the grill assembly.
i also replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plugs. This was right before I decided to clean the N54 Intake Valves, which became completely gunked up due to the direct injection of the fuel injectors. Common issue on the N54 engines, or any turbo application with direct injection.
I also started the oil filter gasket. I replaced all of the gaskets in the oil filter housing and you can see that through the next video(s) that I made. So this will help greatly reduce if not eliminate any more oil leakage.

No real pictures of the aforementioned, but the video is a pretty good watch.

Then I installed the clutch line, from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. Did some dynamat installation for sound deadening, DME install, and engine install. Let's see how this puppy looks in the engine!

Here's the video if you wanted to watch it! A lot more details here than what you see in the pics below. Hope you find both interesting.

Now on to the pictures:

Installed the heater hoses, tightened them up because replacing/tightening them later will be very difficult!

A bit of art for the Battery B+ Terminal! Get ready to wire to it later!!

DME Installation in the stock E36 location. Much larger DME than the S52 that was in there before, so I needed to adapt it to fit. Turned out quite nice and pretty robust too!

Dynamat Installation Completed. Ready for Engine Install!

As promised, I beefed up the Transmission Mount. There were some comments about that, so here you go!

And Finally, the engine sits in the engine bay on its own weight, in it's stock location under the weight of the Poly Mounts!

E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 04:02:26 PM   #33
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

More updates to share!

Today was the dredded Intake Valve Cleaning! Due to the direct injection of fuel into the combustion chamber, there are emmissions standards that dictate that exhaust recirculation back into the intake be done to burn up any unburned gas, this creates carbon buildup on the intake valves, whereas in a port injection car (non turbo most frequently), the fuel injected keeps the intake valves clean, so no issues there.

Regardless, we tried a number of techniques, physical scraping, Intake Valve Chemical cleaner, and finally we tried to soda blast. Didn't come out EXACTLY how we liked, but it wasn't too bad. Much better than it was!

Before Shot:

After Shot - Again - not ideal, but better.

This was even after the soda blasting. Next time, walnut shells and a vacuum adapter!!

This one here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walnut-Blas...8AAOSwvMFa3737
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Sat, Jun-29-2019, 11:16:27 PM   #34
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Some more updates! Final Assembly time has come. So exciting to see everything start to come together on these types of swaps. Today we work on all underside type assembly work. This includes the Shifter with Boot, Driveshaft, Reverse Switch Installation, Clutch Line, Steering column, heater hoses.

But that's not fun. Final installation pictures are fun. So enjoy! Remember I still haven't fired this thing up yet.

Assembled the front bumper to see how the intercooler fits. Fits pretty good!!

And finally, a couple videos of my detailed progress if you wanted to watch!

In this video I cover a bit more on the engine side, including the infamous oil cooler gasket leaks. Show you how to fix that as well. Pretty straightforward.
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Sun, Jun-30-2019, 02:35:55 AM   #35
FK

United States

I'm happy this is happening locallyish to me. In the process of N54 swapping my Z3M Coupe haha
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-30-2019, 03:57:06 AM   #36
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
I'm happy this is happening locallyish to me. In the process of N54 swapping my Z3M Coupe haha
I hope you're only taking out an S52 rather than an S50 or S54!
Old Sun, Jun-30-2019, 10:28:27 PM   #37
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Today, I wired up the PWM Electric Fan. So First, to get my brain wrapped around all of the connectors, I clamped them together between 2 pieces of Delrin. Just to identify all of the I/O I was dealing with:

The fan on this application from the 335i X-Drive is a 600W fan version (Not the 400W version). Regardless, there are 3 populated pins on the main connector. + (RT/SW), - (BR), and PWM Signal (SW/BL) Pin 8 on X60001.

The video below is 2 fold:
The first part shows you how I wired it physically. The second half shows how to read the wiring diagrams on WDS and how I arrived at the conclusion for pinouts and relay wiring.

Hope you enjoy and learn!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Mon, Jul-01-2019, 03:13:15 AM   #38
T3AMFiSh
Your mom goes to college

United States

you soda blasted the intake track, while the head was still on the motor?
Jump to top T3AMFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-02-2019, 04:35:14 AM   #39
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3AMFiSh View Post
you soda blasted the intake track, while the head was still on the motor?
Yes, most people typically use Walnut shells for blasting. Turning the crank to close the valves as they progress with each cylinder. We weren't planning on doing any blasting, but I had soda. I saw other people use soda, but it's just not as abrasive and sticks to the grease more than the shells do. So I wasn't thrilled with the results. Next time I will definitely use Walnut Shells - And the right vacuum attachment as well.
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Tue, Jul-02-2019, 04:54:11 AM   #40
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Default The things starts up!!!!!!!

This is probably my most exciting post! We finally got it started! It took so many tries, updates, retries and failed attempts to finally get it started.

Generally speaking, I thought originally that I could start with just the CAS3 unit, Key/holder, Start Button and be done with it. But i've been told many conflicting theories, so it naturally made me quite nervous. Regardless, I pushed ahead and did the best I could with the wiring diagrams and advice from a few people I received on the subject. Regardless of all of this, I plan to have the DME flashed to remove EWS and get it tuned. This will be done by Kassel Performance in Pennsylvania. (https://www.kasselperformance.com/) They have been very informative of their products, technology, and even offered to help me with the wiring to get it started on CAS.

Overall, I wanted to see if I can just get it wired on CAS. Because I have an S85 waiting for my E31 and need to know for sure if all I need is the matching CAS/KEY/DME set. This post is set out to confirm or deny that!!

Here are a few pictures of the wiring. Yes, it's not organized, but due to wire lengths, splices, location of modules, it made it quite messy. Nevertheless, I know it's not very informative (yet), but more detailed wiring info is coming along soon!

Here is a shot of the A4010 Junction Box with the Main Relay there on the right.

This first video is me trying to get it started on CAS3, then failing, so I went back to the donor car to pull the A4010 unit with the A4010a body control module.

Then in my second half of the effort, I wanted to see if you really need to have all that wiring shit there, like the junction box. So I started to step-by-step strip the wiring away from the junction box, and eventually eliminated it. Spoiler alert, it started only on CAS! Yes there will be fault codes, but there's ways around that with CAN Emulators. Again, I plan to have it flashed anyway, so I will work on an emulator another time, perhaps for my S85 E31.

Here's a picture of just the CAS unit hooked to the engine. I deduced that the reason it didn't work originally is because there is this one EWS wire, not explicitly labeled on any of the N54 wiring schematics. It is a GN/WS wire that connects the CAS to the DME. Again, not in the schematics for the CAS, but it is there for the X60001 connector on the DME. So I took a chance and deduced that the wire, being the same color, gauge has to have something to do with the EWS. It was called "_ZRS" on the X60001 - Pin 7.

And here is a video of how I slimmed down the wiring to the basics. I hope you enjoy and learn something!

And finally, I wanted to let you guys know that I do plan to issue a detailed integrators guide for the N54, specifically geared toward the E36. It will have detailed wiring, pinouts, part numbers, wire lengths, Exhaust Setup, Drivetrain alignment specs, cooling, A/C, P/S integration and much more. I hope you will find it useful when it comes out in July!

Thanks again for watching!

Frank
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT