BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 02:15:23 PM   #1
e46IX

Canada

Default Turbo S54 or 2JZ-GTE?

Only looking for opinions on the subject matter. Not interested in hearing any opinions from the "Keep it NA" crowd.

I love the S54. I think pound for pound it is the best motor BMW ever built. That being said I've had a few 46M's + a Z4M over the years so I've had plenty of time to enjoy the S54 in NA form. I currently also own an E90 M3 so would prefer not too have too much overlap with similar driving cars in my stable. Centrifugal supercharger doesn't excite me on an I6, so that's not an option either.

Why is this a question? I have a clean M3 coupe rolling chassis. My buddy has a crashed MKIV Supra that he is parting out. I can get the 2JZ-GTE for a 'buddy price'. Alternatively I can seek out another S54 and turbo that.

Would like to hear pros and cons of both sides, I've been around the platform long enough to have a solid base of information for going either route. My only concern with turboing the S54 is my options are limited to MaxPSI or custom with standalone ECU. If I'm going standalone then the 2J fits the bill as well and there's obviously a lot more support for this engine than there would be with a turbo S54.

I realize this may be a question better suited for the FI subforum however this section has a lot more traffic. Looking forward to hear the board's thoughts.
'04 E46 330iT ZHP Touring 6MT Imola Red / Black
'10 E70 X5D Sapphire Black / Black

Last edited by e46IX; Sat, Jun-15-2019 at 03:05:45 PM.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 02:22:06 PM   #2
justinpirie

United States

Default Re: Turbo S54 or 2JZ-GTE?

Sticking with BMW will dramatically cut down your fabrication requirements. 2JZ obviously will handle prodigious amounts of power. Are you sticking with the BMWs transmission and doing an adapter plate? I would go stand-alone regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 02:26:44 PM   #3
e46IX

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinpirie View Post
Sticking with BMW will dramatically cut down your fabrication requirements. 2JZ obviously will handle prodigious amounts of power. Are you sticking with the BMWs transmission and doing an adapter plate? I would go stand-alone regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My buddy has the Supra 6-speed but apparently that's a big money trans so I'd rather stick with the 420G I have and use one of the adapter plates on the market.
'04 E46 330iT ZHP Touring 6MT Imola Red / Black
'10 E70 X5D Sapphire Black / Black
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 04:57:15 PM   #4
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

2JZ - way more knowledge and aftermarket for big boost
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 05:02:05 PM   #5
Mr.wReckless

Norway

From what I've heard and read about the S54 it really doesn't like turbos. There are supercharger kits available, but since they don't float your boat then I guess that leaves only 1 option on the table.

IMO the 2JZ is a fantastic power plant, however sticking it in the M3 kind of removes the "BMW'ness" of the car for me. It's your build though, and if you have the know-how and can make the Toyota motor work then it's what I would stick with! It is tried and tested up to stupid power levels so making power with it should be the easy bit Stand alone sounds the best but it is far beyond my abilities.

Good luck
Jump to top Mr.wReckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 05:37:01 PM   #6
black bnr32

Canada

how much power we talking?
Jump to top black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 06:28:22 PM   #7
stash1

In the garage:

United States

"Keep it NA"...I kid...I kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
From what I've heard and read about the S54 it really doesn't like turbos.
Who says? I have buddies w/20-50k mi on their turbo S54's. How much power do you need? Because when properly built w/the right supporting mods, an S54 can reliably make 600-900HP, and 3-4 times more torque than a stock S54.
Old Sat, Jun-15-2019, 06:50:09 PM   #8
S54 TBO

United Kingdom

@Mr.wReckless: companys have been turbocharging the S54 for years, like saad racing HPF Lab22 with great success plus other companys in Sweden making 1200+ whp.

I going to be biased cause i own a turbo charged S54 but to be honest here in the U.K its unknown to turbo charge one so alot of parts have had to be custom made and its been a pain in the ass, started the project over 2 years ago and still not complete and its cost a fortune.

i had it for a short period until it set on fire so now its in the garage. If im honest its been a headache but the few days i had it was fricking awesome. Can't beat a turbo'd S54 on full chat at 8000rpm!! this was standard engine only running 8psi

I think if you can buy the 2jz at mates rates it might be a good option. theres a few been converted over here in the uk, and it might be the cheaper option

If your not bothered about purity then go for the 2jz, there is loads of tuning companys for that platform but for me the S54 engine sounds great and turbo'd, its on a whole different level
Jump to top S54 TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 06:30:16 PM   #9
Gary Powers
Taking the long way home.

In the garage:

United States

The s54 is a great motor NA, but you can't deny that the 2JZ is just proven to be the best turbo platform hands-down. I know there have been a few turbo s54s making big numbers somewhat reliably but personally I wouldn't trust the rod bearings to hold up more than a 10k miles with those numbers. If you want to do a turbo s54 I would definitely look into getting a widened crank journal (https://store.langracing.com/s54-rod...-modification/) but for the $$ it doesn't really make sense compared to the 2JZ.

Basically it comes down to how much you are willing to spend, how much power you want to make, and your desire for peace of mind.
Old Tue, Jul-02-2019, 10:11:35 PM   #10
hyperboost
Imola Red M

United States

I wonder how much heavier is the 2JZ vs S54

ESS VT440|SS V1|Volk TE37|AS SSK|TCK S/A|Vorshalg Camber Plates|Brembo 8piston 380mm front 4piston 345mm rear|EAS AEs|PF RTAB|RE Tranny Mounts|RE FCAB & RSM|UUC front sway

E46 M3 TiAg/IR modded - sold
E92 M3 Melbourne Red 18" Volk TE37SL - Transported to China
E93 M3 AW/Black - sold
E39 540iA modded -sold
B6 A4 modded back to stock - totaled
W126 560SEC - Wintermobile - Totaled 4/14/2010
07 Bentley Continental GT Mulliner Package
87 Porsche 944 NA 5speed black OEM Boxster Wheels - Totaled due to a rock
E92 M3 Stage II+ Dinan 4.10s.....
2011 Mustang GT Procharged... fooking fast
2013 Mini Cooper
13 F10 535 Msport Xdrive some mods Sold