BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 01:11:18 PM   #21
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Cylinder 4-5-6 misfiring dilema.. (this car is never ending..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Yes, removing the spark plug is key so there's no compression- if you can siphon some out before cranking it would be ideal.

If all cylinders are filled it sounds like you have a tune issue or something...
I got stock tune.

My theory is when I tried starting it with low battery twice (edit: now that I think about it, tried it like 4 times lol) it wasn't producing spark, it was trying to crank but I guess the battery was so low and still low after charging it for 5-10mins that it wasn't producing spark thus just ended up flooding the cylinders.

cylinder 6 was the worst since bank 2 already had problem w/ misfires before hand that I think it was due to o2 sensor (coz it only starts misfiring after the car warms up around 10mins in after a cold start) and I think there was already fuel in it before trying to start it.

I'll try to get out as much fuel as I can then do what you said. and then after dumping out fuel w/ cranking I'll probably leave it to let the remaining fuel evaporate as much as it can before doing the "put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder" procedure, from what I read this helps from the wash out that most likely had happened when the cylinder got flooded.
Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 04:59:25 PM   #22
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Make sure to charge the battery before you crank it with no plugs and fuse 54 so it has enough juice to force the fuel out of the plug holes.

Yeah def sounds like spark issues (among others noted) . You should be getting close to getting her running again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 06:11:09 PM   #23
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Make sure to charge the battery before you crank it with no plugs and fuse 54 so it has enough juice to force the fuel out of the plug holes.

Yeah def sounds like spark issues (among others noted) . You should be getting close to getting her running again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes I hooked my battery charger yesterday and should be fully charged by now. I'll replace the starter and put everything back together, do what you mentioned, let her sit again 24hrs to let the rest of the fuel evaporate before doing the next step. will update this thread for sure.
Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 10:29:45 PM   #24
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

update:

Finally able to remove the old starter, it rattles a lot more and louder than a new starter, the new starter I had to shake it really hard just to make it somewhat rattle LOL, I guess that really is bad starter now.

BTW, I noticed when I kinda wiggle the hose connecting to the heater core it leaks coolant on the connector side itself, it felt loose so tried pushing it all the way in and it is all the way in,tried pulling if it'll come off and it won't but when it wiggles it leaks some coolant, this tells me the O-ring inside is flattened out. anyone knows what part number is that O-ring or what size it is or where I can get a replacement? The hose I am talking about is the one directly on top of the starter, it leaks on the connector to the block when it gets wiggled.

Here's an image of the said hose, its the one directly on top of the starter connecting to the black pipe to the water pump I believe.

Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 11:01:25 PM   #25
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
update:

Finally able to remove the old starter, it rattles a lot more and louder than a new starter, the new starter I had to shake it really hard just to make it somewhat rattle LOL, I guess that really is bad starter now.

BTW, I noticed when I kinda wiggle the hose connecting to the heater core it leaks coolant on the connector side itself, it felt loose so tried pushing it all the way in and it is all the way in,tried pulling if it'll come off and it won't but when it wiggles it leaks some coolant, this tells me the O-ring inside is flattened out. anyone knows what part number is that O-ring or what size it is or where I can get a replacement? The hose I am talking about is the one directly on top of the starter, it leaks on the connector to the block when it gets wiggled.

Here's an image of the said hose, its the one directly on top of the starter connecting to the black pipe to the water pump I believe.

That connection always leaks when you wiggle it. It's normal. Everyone replaces the o-ring and it still leaks when you wiggle it. I'd leave it alone.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-13-2019, 11:27:10 PM   #26
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
That connection always leaks when you wiggle it. It's normal. Everyone replaces the o-ring and it still leaks when you wiggle it. I'd leave it alone.
cool thanks! I guess I'll move on w/ the job haha.
Old Sun, Jun-23-2019, 06:59:21 PM   #27
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Update:

So I did the de-flooding procedure, let it sit to make sure the cylinder is dry from fuel for the entire day yesterday. Checked the cylinder and they are dry and went ahead put the car together to get it ready to start.

So finally got her started and now it just straight up misfiring from the beginning. This is with new coils, plugs and pre-cat o2 sensor for Bank 2.

Went ahead and got the codes again and Cylinder 5 got the hard code misfiring while cylinder 4 and 6 got a pending code for misfires and of course the multiple cylinder misfire code.

Pulled the plugs cylinder 1-4 is good, they have sings of them sparking/burning and they look great. Cylinder 6 looked like its burning rich as hell, really dark powdery black carbon I guess that was easily wiped off.

And when I checked cylinder 5 spark plug it looks like it didn't even spark, no signs of it burning and it is wet w/ fuel. did the de-flooding procedure and it confirmed there is fuel on cylinder 5 again, its wet. tried swapping plugs and the same happened cylinder 5 is not sparking I guess..

Not sure what else could be causing cylinder 5 not to get any spark. low compression? Imma try get a compression tester to see the compression on that cylinder and adjacent cylinders.

But lets assume the compression comes out good to go, what else could be the cause of this seemingly no spark on cylinder 5?

Note that before I switched rear o2 sensors and coils/plugs the car would only misfire after 5-10mins of warming up. now it just right from the get go.

2nd Note:

While trying to get cylinder tester imma remove my injectors and have em tested/cleaned as well.

Last edited by erickrayos; Sun, Jun-23-2019 at 07:02:55 PM.
Jump to top erickrayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-02-2019, 10:46:09 PM   #28
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Update:

checked my injectors, removed them and tested it if they are stuck open specially cylinder 5.

without applying power I did the diy injector cleaning process w/ aerosol cleaner with an adapter and guess what, it sprayed right through even without applying 12v to it. tested other injectors like from cylinder 6 and it didn't spray through(it almost blew my injector away from my adapter).

sent it to rc fuel injection for cleaning and testing and here's the result. they are very terrible. doesn't show that the cylinder 5 was stuck open but it says dripping.

here's the result of the testing/cleaning, and it in terrible condition when it got there. and its back to like new after they did their thing.

Edit: Tried doing the DIY cleaning method again to double check if its gonna spray right through again and it is not doing it anymore. its closed w/o the power applied to it so glad to say they were able to salvage the injector, they replaced the O-rings and I think its a filter in the injectors, not sure what the other thing is, they put the old parts in a bag and sent it along with the injectors.

Link to Image

Last edited by erickrayos; Tue, Jul-02-2019 at 10:53:02 PM.
Jump to top erickrayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-05-2019, 09:52:55 PM   #29
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Update:

Put the car back up together and the problem is still there, now it went back to cylinder 6. as I checked there was no fuel in the cylinder but there was a lot of fuel on the throttle body. After cleaning the fuel up in there I did a compression check and the results is as follows (Note: the compression check is done on a cold engine, I shut it off after 2minutes at most when I saw the results was the same and didn't want to run the engine w/ its current condition for that long).

Cylinder 1: 150psi
Cylinder 2: 154
Cylinder 3: 151
Cylinder 4: 151
Cylinder 5: 153
Cylinder 6: 155

I assume that I'd get higher compression if the test was done on warm engine and it will most likely put me on the recommended range of 160-172psi (iirc that was the recommended value).

And as you can see, they are pretty much in the same range of compression as I expected.

I tried doing the de-flood mode w/ fuel pump fuse still on, (key on position 2, foot on gas pedal all the way then crank) and cylinder 6 got flooded, I know for a fact that the injectors should be good so I am not sure what else could be causing this problem...

Any ideas on what else I can do please shoot it! I am really out of ideas on what could be causing this....
Old Mon, Jul-15-2019, 06:33:57 PM   #30
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Update:

Changed injector 6, did oil change as well as there was fuel in the oil and car starts right up no misfire.

there was white/gray smoke from tail pipes from the start, but it was light at the beginning then there's a lot more of the smoke coming out as the car warmed up.

Drove it after 10minutes of warm up from time to time I see a lot of smoke coming out of the back but not all the time.

Got to the parking lot near my apartment, there was still smoke coming out (car has been running for about 15mins at this time) revved it to see if the smoke comes out like the head gasket smoke would and its not really thick smoke, its like gray-ish smoke, doesn't smell quite fuel but don't smell sweet either, it just smells like burning exhaust to be honest.

My theory maybe when the engine kept flooding, and I kept de-flooding it there was fuel that got pumped into my exhaust manifold down to my pipes and they sat there for the duration of the car not running and as the car warmed up they start to burn off?

Checked my coolant level, doesn't really show any difference from before.

Will post updates on this until its completely fixed