BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-23-2018, 04:07:13 PM   #31
mf33

United States

Default Re: Modern Comparison of SSKs?

Had a shipping deadline to get parts in on time to do my swap, but I did want to see what shorter throws feel like on this gearbox, so I went with stock everything except the BMW short shift lever.

Thanks for the input everyone, it definitely helped inform me for what I might want to do in the future. If I end up really liking the overall feel of new stock parts but find that I don't like the shorter throws of the bmw ssk so much, I'll probably try the AS 0% somewhere down the line. If I like the shorter throws maybe I'll try an AS 20%.

Or maybe, just maybe, my setup will be juust right for me

Last edited by mf33; Wed, May-23-2018 at 04:12:53 PM.
Jump to top mf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 09:07:20 PM   #32
Jaredomin

In the garage:

United States

I currently have the bmw performance lever. I also have a 550$ AS ultra kit.
the bmw performance is still in the car hahaha. the performance lever is that good.
I think a lever and bushing refresh is all you really need. the performance lever is soo smooth and buttery. ssk are for the track. all the available ones are over the top bling. and I had a auto solutuion ssk on my e92 328i. its nice but a a little too notchy my friend loved it though. I'm hoping this new one will be better as I've learned from the previous one I had.
if not it will be up for sale. if anyone wants an as ultra hmu might let her go before I even install it. 20% with the upgraded cartridge bearing and 1/2in taller to bring back to stock height with a zhp knob.

oh and don't forget your trans mounts. new oe or vibtratechnic. I have the VT and they're awesome.

Last edited by Jaredomin; Wed, May-23-2018 at 09:11:43 PM.
Jump to top Jaredomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 11:30:33 PM   #33
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

can't polish a turd... anyone of these suggestions can't 'fix' our junk transmission

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 11:34:37 PM   #34
Righteous

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
0% Autosolutions.

Stock with no slop at all would be an apt description. I love it.

Is yours truly 0%? I was informed ~5% is the closest achievable at a reasonable cost.

Former: 1969 VW Beetle, 1973 VW Beetle, 1995 Miata M Edition
Jump to top Righteous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 11:42:16 PM   #35
Jaredomin

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
can't polish a turd... anyone of these suggestions can't 'fix' our junk transmission
Royal purple bro. Royal purple.
Jump to top Jaredomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 11:44:19 PM   #36
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
Royal purple bro. Royal purple.
Is this 2010?

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped SS V1 S pipe + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SS Sport BMW Motorsport 4.10 Besian RE pullies/fan delete WPC rod bearings TMS Camber & Subf plates RE Trans Mounts AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs OE CSL trunk APEX 75mm Studs Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 ss brake/clutch lines Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 PPI 1600.4 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 11:53:59 PM   #37
Loi-Spec

United States

My worn out OE shifter got sloppy and caused me to miss 4th and 5th a lot. I thought it was my trans, but going Autosolutions 40% SSk, I love it.
It's a very crisp feel. It is very noticeable in which gears you go into and you can feel if you go into a gear or not.
Now for $450ish I spent for it, it decreases the throw and was a ***** to install, but the stock shifter throw didnt' bother me at all also. Refreshing your OEM one shouldn't be a problem if you like the length, but it's still some work to do also.
Old Thu, May-24-2018, 12:03:40 AM   #38
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
Lmao I actually agree somewhat. After going back to back to test bmw manual transmission with my buddies S2k, 350z, and tsx,...bmw falls short. This was before I even bought my car and all stock cars. Also tested e92 m3 and E60 manual and they were all inferior in comparison imo. You get used to it, in time even learn to like it...until you drive another car with superior transmission lol.
Old Thu, May-24-2018, 03:17:07 AM   #39
BeeFsteR

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Lmao I actually agree somewhat. After going back to back to test bmw manual transmission with my buddies S2k, 350z, and tsx,...bmw falls short. This was before I even bought my car and all stock cars. Also tested e92 m3 and E60 manual and they were all inferior in comparison imo. You get used to it, in time even learn to like it...until you drive another car with superior transmission lol.

This is true. The stock shifter is OK even with refreshed bushings but compared to any of the cars above it is simply outclassed. I've had a UUC SSK for a couple years and overall I like it more than stock, however, the effort is higher than I'd like on cold days before the trans warms up. Once it warms up, it is pretty smooth and the gears are the right amount of notchy. But it is my daily and some days it would be nice to have the relatively light effort of the stock shifter.

One thing that turned me off on Autosolutions is their sales process seems to be stuck in the stone age (incomplete website, broken links, can't buy directly on website, etc). For a company that's been around for that long, that's odd. There is good technical info on there and many members have had a positive experience with their products but my money would go towards Rogue or UUC instead
Jump to top BeeFsteR is online now   Reply With Quote