BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Other BMW M Models > M Coupe/Roadster (1997-2002, 2006-200?)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Fri, Aug-25-2017, 05:52:56 PM   #1
Spidmang

United States

Default Z3 M Coupe Fuel pump leaks

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 2002 M Coupe! What a majestic beast! But it did come with inherent issues...

Upon purchase, the PO mentioned to me that the car would smell of gasoline from time to time. I started doing some digging, and found that it is common for the Fuel Pump outlet/inlet nipples to crack or break from fatigue, causing gas to seep/spray from the nipple. The stupid nipples are plastic...WTF BMW.

Did BMW ever correct this issue?? Are all brand new Fuel Pumps still plastic? WTF would they do such a thing, especially on a highly pressurized system that the S54 demands? Are there any aftermarket solutions that get rid of the plastic system and go to a metal design?

This is mainly an FYI to current/future owners who are experiencing the same thing.

Also, is there anything I can do to remedy the leak in the mean time? Such as a plastic weld to prevent gas to keep seeing out?

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (567.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (562.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (798.2 KB, 3 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.
Jump to top Spidmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 05:43:03 PM   #2
Spidmang

United States

Default Re: Z3 M Coupe Fuel pump leaks

Just an update- I didnt take any photos during this whole process, but if anyone is doing this job, do the following:

-Get yourself a 5gal gas can and fill it up
-Get the gas tank down to 1/8 full
-If possible, drive the car up on ramps. This will force the gas to sit in the back of the tank, so you dont get spillage when removing the pump

Whole process should take no longer than 1 hour is (removing seat, making your carpet cut, and pulling old pump).

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.
Jump to top Spidmang is offline   Reply With Quote