BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Aug-12-2018, 12:10:16 PM   #1
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Default Riding the Red Horse

"The assembly line was the beginning of the end for the automobile." - The Doogan

Gents: I submit something to you which may or may not be of any use to you - something from classical philosophy derived via nordic mythology. (And didn't my DNA show that I was 75% Norwegian?)

It is the idea that, in life, a man must "ride" three "horses" throughout his life.

The Red horse.

The White horse.

The Black horse.

While we should and must ride all three horses until the day we die, typically the Red horse is associated with youth, the white with adulthood and middle age, the black with old age.

The colors are our natural-law guides, here. Red is, what? Of course red is... blood. Violence. Strength. Action. Speed. Danger. DANGER. Aggression. Love. Passion. PASSION. The white horse is just as natural. We think of white, and we see: Clouds. Milk. The shine of a river in the rain. If we think of God as a man or angels, we think of them wearing white. Softness. Holiness. Purity. Lightness. Clean. Truth. TRUTH. And the black horse? What do we think of with black, in nature and in our lives? Dark. Fear. Mystery. Death. Necrosis. There is a power there, but it's a different sort of power, right? Night. Stealth. Often we realize that humor is associated with the black. Not just literally dark humor, but nearly all humor. You don't laugh at the red, because the red is not trustworthy. You don't laugh at the white, because the white commands our respect and affection. The black is trustworthy, because the black is honest. We may not like what the black reveals all the time, but it is trust worthy.

In our lives, we will have to ride each horse often. There will be days when we alternate between all three a few times. You may have to move from a position of being blunt and humble ("We all wipe our asses, and it doesn't matter who you are." - black), to being principled and hard ("But still.... I know it sucks, but these are the rules, and we all must follow them - because is society without rules and the law? I never planned on getting involved in local government... but I see now that I have to." - white), to being aggressive and wild ("I'm doing it. I'm quitting my job. I'm going to make this business work once and for all." - red). That is the micro.

The macro is: when we are youthful, we tend to ride the red horse, at least as boys. I don't know how all this relates to women and girls, if it does at all. When we are young, we have less impulse control, we are brash, aggressive. When we enter adulthood, we move toward the white and become like worker bees in a hive, and we work to build families and communities and social networks and assets. We may join a church, and we may find a love for the law. Later in life, we begin seeing the nuances in many of these things - we remain strong in our principals, but - being so comfortable and educated within them - we are able to explore them more. We are more in touch with our own mortality. We become confident and honest. This is of course, the black.

And so, gents: a conclusion here, is that these stages are important. For all men and boys. If we don't pass into and through these stages on the MACRO scale, there were and are and will be problems for us. And if we cannot enter when needed pass through and exit when appropriate these stages on the MICRO scale, that too meas there were and are and will be problems for us.

You see, many kids these days were not allowed to be kids. At an early age, many boys were pushed into adulthood. They had to move to the white horse for the sake of survival - holding jobs in their early teens, and on and on. They skip the red stage because there are no safety nets. To mess up would be their end. They've never red-lined their car, because it might hurt it, and they depend on the car - they've wept inside the car, wondering how they would survive.

Well, to not be able to enter the red later in life (timidity, fear, shame) is just as dangerous to the poor lad's soul as it is to never have passed through it - to never have been able to explore that side of himself. And - this could very well be where the classic "mid life crisis car" purchase comes in. Though with all this in mind, I hope you can see that the mid life crisis car therefore is not a bad thing - it is a very, very good thing: the man is moving back into the red, and exploring himself so that he can then pass into the black. He needs to check that box.

The same is true for men who never exited the red stage. I could write pages on the curse of these men (and the way they curse society).

The same is true for men who never mature into the white stage enough to enter the black. These are the stiff collared politicians. The preachers and ministers who wear ties and tie clips even on relaxing strolls through the woods; who are afraid to roll up their sleeves and expose their arm hair. Those who send ten thousand young men off to die in a senseless war, because they are blinded by the only parts of Principal and Virtue that they can see.

Well, my time is up and I must go. I do and may want to explore this more in this thread later, or even reflect on what the M3 has done for me in these regards as a psychological development tool. And I also wonder what the color of our cars tells us (and the world) about ourselves.

Well, talk soon. Not proofread. -The Doogan.

2006 E46 M3, 6MT, Convertible, Black/Black - 72k miles
60k mile Service II, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune, Schrick CSL Cam, Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3.
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Aug-12-2018, 12:28:56 PM   #2
Cmda17

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Riding the Red Horse

Love reading a Doogan post early on a Sunday morning!

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but despite moving to the stage in life where the things categorized as the white horse (building a family, assets, etc.) are most important, the red horse still shows its head frequently.... Probably why we own this car and push it to its limits from time to time. A little of both could be healthy.
Jump to top Cmda17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-12-2018, 12:32:38 PM   #3
mcfreid

In the garage:

United States

I haven't read this yet - but keeping the tab open for later
Jump to top mcfreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-12-2018, 12:45:27 PM   #4
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmda17 View Post
A little of both could be healthy.
Amen - I think it's extremely cathartic. I think my M3 has helped me make up for a lot of lost time.

And as I make breakfast for my own family before we head off to Mass, I came back to add: There was no insinuation in the "what our car colors say about us." I do not think there are any unhealthy M3 colors or anything silly like that. I just think all the possessions of a healthy man (and their attributes) will say something about him, and I imagine the colors of cars we naturally like will be one of those things. Interesting to ponder

Alright: have a good Sunday, lads.

2006 E46 M3, 6MT, Convertible, Black/Black - 72k miles
60k mile Service II, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune, Schrick CSL Cam, Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3.
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-13-2018, 03:54:34 PM   #5
nowanker
"He's no wanker!"

United States

Still amazes me that the mortality rate among teenage and pre-teen boys is not close to 100%.
Interesting read there, Doog...
Jump to top nowanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-13-2018, 04:20:55 PM   #6
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

I just love the signatures . Runnin and gunnin, one handed push ups. The All American!

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/525) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs · ZHP 13.7:1 P/S Rack
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar D917 FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE D738 FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-13-2018, 04:30:03 PM   #7
M spec
Rembrandt Audio

Austria

Monday morning Tea with a "Doogan" write up. Love it!

Last edited by M spec; Mon, Aug-13-2018 at 04:48:28 PM.
Jump to top M spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-13-2018, 05:57:21 PM   #8
Texaz3

United States

This is a very complicated way of describing growing up and maturation.
But yeah, in a nutshell.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-13-2018, 06:09:35 PM   #9
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Not even gonna joke about that .... but I think I just found out I'm "riding black"

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote