BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:46:26 AM   #61
e46Dawg

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Because the stuff you’re railing on aren’t the faults the car has. The interior is sub par, it’s too heavy, the 6mt box sucks as does the clutch, the engine is gutless below 4K, it drinks fuel, steering isn’t great. Engine has major long term reliability concerns.

The exhaust is totally fine/good, the DCT box is hands down best auto in its class.
You nailed the faults there. Bravo! Lol.

We still disagree on the exhaust compared to cars like a c63 and the DCT sucks in auto mode.
Jump to top e46Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 04:10:29 AM   #62
SQ13

United States

I guess I’ll stay out of the DD convo since I’m currently DDing a completely stripped track car.
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 01:52:33 PM   #63
Cyrus

My experience was that the car was just not that much fun.

The problem was not the exhaust or the engine sound, although the idea that it sounds as good stock as the RS4 is absurd and could only be made by someone who has never heard an RS4, or by Serious.

BMW performance exhaust is a totally different question because the PE is awesome, although to be fair it costs what $5,000+?

I had a manual, but since I now drive a DCT (DSG), I agree 100% on the auto comments. Modern autos are as good or better, especially in auto mode. The auto box (8 speed ZF?) in the 340i I test drove was remarkable.

I can see the DSG's days being numbered.
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 02:58:43 PM   #64
daffyduck
bring the amberlamps

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Because the stuff youíre railing on arenít the faults the car has. The interior is sub par, itís too heavy, the 6mt box sucks as does the clutch, the engine is gutless below 4K, it drinks fuel, steering isnít great. Engine has major long term reliability concerns.

The exhaust is totally fine/good, the DCT box is hands down best auto in its class.
are these faults of the E92 or C63? Some of them check the boxes for E92. I agree, though, that the DCT is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
My experience was that the car was just not that much fun.

The problem was not the exhaust or the engine sound, although the idea that it sounds as good stock as the RS4 is absurd and could only be made by someone who has never heard an RS4, or by Serious.

BMW performance exhaust is a totally different question because the PE is awesome, although to be fair it costs what $5,000+?

I had a manual, but since I now drive a DCT (DSG), I agree 100% on the auto comments. Modern autos are as good or better, especially in auto mode. The auto box (8 speed ZF?) in the 340i I test drove was remarkable.

I can see the DSG's days being numbered.
The induction noise and motor sound is amazing. Exhaust is quiet, but the noise is spectacular with the right exhaust. Some people go a little loud and catless, then the thing sounds like a bat out of hell which doesn't suit the car imo. A subtle exhaust to open up the voice of the V8 and it can sound on par with an exhaust equipped RS4.

As for previous comments about slippage, I experience significant slippage reversing out of my parking spot in the morning, putting into drive and gassing. Slips in this scenario but in no others - ie never in traffic or from a stop in gear.
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:06:44 PM   #65
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
are these faults of the E92 or C63? Some of them check the boxes for E92. I agree, though, that the DCT is incredible.
He's talking about the E9x... The C63 is not available with a 6MT gearbox and it's far from gutless below 4K RPMs..
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:13:09 PM   #66
daffyduck
bring the amberlamps

Isle of Man

Oh another thing I wanted to throw out there, and curious if anybody has had the same preference...

I don't drive the car in flappy paddle mode...I like it in full auto with shift sensitivity at 5.

Reasons:

-The car in full auto is SO smooth, seamless and intuitive. I haven't been able to trick the transmission to do something I didn't intend, though it does hold high in the rev range a little longer than I'd like. (Like when I floor it, let off throttle, revs still hang when I'd want them to drop. Probably a result of level 5 shift sensitivity). Either way, it's a wonderful, quick shifting smart trans.

-Exhaust is quiet, not as much exhilaration on up and downshift that you'd get on a car with a soundtrack to match. Of note, induction noise on downshifts is very proper.

-Paddles are small AF. They move with the steering wheel. This is an extremely snobby gripe stemming from daily'ing a 458. (15k miles in a year).
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:56:22 PM   #67
e46Dawg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
Oh another thing I wanted to throw out there, and curious if anybody has had the same preference...

I don't drive the car in flappy paddle mode...I like it in full auto with shift sensitivity at 5.

Reasons:

-The car in full auto is SO smooth, seamless and intuitive. I haven't been able to trick the transmission to do something I didn't intend, though it does hold high in the rev range a little longer than I'd like. (Like when I floor it, let off throttle, revs still hang when I'd want them to drop. Probably a result of level 5 shift sensitivity). Either way, it's a wonderful, quick shifting smart trans.

-Exhaust is quiet, not as much exhilaration on up and downshift that you'd get on a car with a soundtrack to match. Of note, induction noise on downshifts is very proper.

-Paddles are small AF. They move with the steering wheel. This is an extremely snobby gripe stemming from daily'ing a 458. (15k miles in a year).
The DCT shifts great in full auto mode while in motion, but the slipping from a standstill was a deal breaker. It's one of the main reasons I went with the c63. I drove multiple DCT's to make sure it wasn't just a bad car/trans, but they all did it.

I agree that actual engine/induction noise sounds good and the exhaust is fine, it's just too weak/quiet.

The main reasons I passed on the e9x were:

- Bearing issue. Although failure rates are low, it's a known issue and I didn't feel like playing the lotto with it.

- DCT trans. I wanted a DCT/auto and I couldn't stand the slipping when starting off from a stop.

Otherwise, it looks nice, the steering feel is fine and weight is ok. Although it could be a little lighter with the high revving nature of the power curve.
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 04:20:01 PM   #68
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

DCT slip is the new pointy elbows.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 04:29:49 PM   #69
e46Dawg

In the garage:

United States

Hardly. It's a known issue. You can ignore if you wish.
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 04:52:50 PM   #70
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46Dawg View Post
Hardly. It's a known issue. You can ignore if you wish.
Ignore it? LOL. I drive the car everyday. Its 100% fine and something I never think about/notice other than the very first start in the mornings when the oil/clutches are cold.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote