BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:46:26 AM   #61
e46Dawg
Registered User
 
e46Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,138
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 e46Dawg is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Because the stuff you’re railing on aren’t the faults the car has. The interior is sub par, it’s too heavy, the 6mt box sucks as does the clutch, the engine is gutless below 4K, it drinks fuel, steering isn’t great. Engine has major long term reliability concerns.

The exhaust is totally fine/good, the DCT box is hands down best auto in its class.
You nailed the faults there. Bravo! Lol.

We still disagree on the exhaust compared to cars like a c63 and the DCT sucks in auto mode.
Jump to top e46Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 04:10:29 AM   #62
SQ13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,880
Reputation: 0 SQ13 is on a distinguished road
Location: U.S.

United States




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

I guess I’ll stay out of the DD convo since I’m currently DDing a completely stripped track car.
__________________
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 01:52:33 PM   #63
Cyrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,041
Reputation: 0 Cyrus has disabled reputation





Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

My experience was that the car was just not that much fun.

The problem was not the exhaust or the engine sound, although the idea that it sounds as good stock as the RS4 is absurd and could only be made by someone who has never heard an RS4, or by Serious.

BMW performance exhaust is a totally different question because the PE is awesome, although to be fair it costs what $5,000+?

I had a manual, but since I now drive a DCT (DSG), I agree 100% on the auto comments. Modern autos are as good or better, especially in auto mode. The auto box (8 speed ZF?) in the 340i I test drove was remarkable.

I can see the DSG's days being numbered.
__________________
2017 VW Golf R (DSG)
2014 Mazda MX-5 Club (manual, soft top)
Jump to top Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 02:58:43 PM   #64
daffyduck
bring the amberlamps
 
daffyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,520
Reputation: 0 daffyduck has a spectacular aura about
Location: returns counter

Isle of Man




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Because the stuff youíre railing on arenít the faults the car has. The interior is sub par, itís too heavy, the 6mt box sucks as does the clutch, the engine is gutless below 4K, it drinks fuel, steering isnít great. Engine has major long term reliability concerns.

The exhaust is totally fine/good, the DCT box is hands down best auto in its class.
are these faults of the E92 or C63? Some of them check the boxes for E92. I agree, though, that the DCT is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
My experience was that the car was just not that much fun.

The problem was not the exhaust or the engine sound, although the idea that it sounds as good stock as the RS4 is absurd and could only be made by someone who has never heard an RS4, or by Serious.

BMW performance exhaust is a totally different question because the PE is awesome, although to be fair it costs what $5,000+?

I had a manual, but since I now drive a DCT (DSG), I agree 100% on the auto comments. Modern autos are as good or better, especially in auto mode. The auto box (8 speed ZF?) in the 340i I test drove was remarkable.

I can see the DSG's days being numbered.
The induction noise and motor sound is amazing. Exhaust is quiet, but the noise is spectacular with the right exhaust. Some people go a little loud and catless, then the thing sounds like a bat out of hell which doesn't suit the car imo. A subtle exhaust to open up the voice of the V8 and it can sound on par with an exhaust equipped RS4.

As for previous comments about slippage, I experience significant slippage reversing out of my parking spot in the morning, putting into drive and gassing. Slips in this scenario but in no others - ie never in traffic or from a stop in gear.
__________________
Jump to top daffyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:06:44 PM   #65
EKaru
Moderator
 
EKaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Age: 43
Posts: 53,243
Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha
Location: PA & MD

United States




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
are these faults of the E92 or C63? Some of them check the boxes for E92. I agree, though, that the DCT is incredible.
He's talking about the E9x... The C63 is not available with a 6MT gearbox and it's far from gutless below 4K RPMs..
__________________
Jump to top EKaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:13:09 PM   #66
daffyduck
bring the amberlamps
 
daffyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,520
Reputation: 0 daffyduck has a spectacular aura about
Location: returns counter

Isle of Man




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

Oh another thing I wanted to throw out there, and curious if anybody has had the same preference...

I don't drive the car in flappy paddle mode...I like it in full auto with shift sensitivity at 5.

Reasons:

-The car in full auto is SO smooth, seamless and intuitive. I haven't been able to trick the transmission to do something I didn't intend, though it does hold high in the rev range a little longer than I'd like. (Like when I floor it, let off throttle, revs still hang when I'd want them to drop. Probably a result of level 5 shift sensitivity). Either way, it's a wonderful, quick shifting smart trans.

-Exhaust is quiet, not as much exhilaration on up and downshift that you'd get on a car with a soundtrack to match. Of note, induction noise on downshifts is very proper.

-Paddles are small AF. They move with the steering wheel. This is an extremely snobby gripe stemming from daily'ing a 458. (15k miles in a year).
__________________
Jump to top daffyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 03:56:22 PM   #67
e46Dawg
Registered User
 
e46Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,138
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 e46Dawg is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
Oh another thing I wanted to throw out there, and curious if anybody has had the same preference...

I don't drive the car in flappy paddle mode...I like it in full auto with shift sensitivity at 5.

Reasons:

-The car in full auto is SO smooth, seamless and intuitive. I haven't been able to trick the transmission to do something I didn't intend, though it does hold high in the rev range a little longer than I'd like. (Like when I floor it, let off throttle, revs still hang when I'd want them to drop. Probably a result of level 5 shift sensitivity). Either way, it's a wonderful, quick shifting smart trans.

-Exhaust is quiet, not as much exhilaration on up and downshift that you'd get on a car with a soundtrack to match. Of note, induction noise on downshifts is very proper.

-Paddles are small AF. They move with the steering wheel. This is an extremely snobby gripe stemming from daily'ing a 458. (15k miles in a year).
The DCT shifts great in full auto mode while in motion, but the slipping from a standstill was a deal breaker. It's one of the main reasons I went with the c63. I drove multiple DCT's to make sure it wasn't just a bad car/trans, but they all did it.

I agree that actual engine/induction noise sounds good and the exhaust is fine, it's just too weak/quiet.

The main reasons I passed on the e9x were:

- Bearing issue. Although failure rates are low, it's a known issue and I didn't feel like playing the lotto with it.

- DCT trans. I wanted a DCT/auto and I couldn't stand the slipping when starting off from a stop.

Otherwise, it looks nice, the steering feel is fine and weight is ok. Although it could be a little lighter with the high revving nature of the power curve.
Jump to top e46Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 04:20:01 PM   #68
Serious
Banned
 
Serious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,797
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Serious has a spectacular aura about
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

DCT slip is the new pointy elbows.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 04:29:49 PM   #69
e46Dawg
Registered User
 
e46Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,138
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 e46Dawg is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

Hardly. It's a known issue. You can ignore if you wish.
Jump to top e46Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-04-2017, 04:52:50 PM   #70
Serious
Banned
 
Serious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,797
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Serious has a spectacular aura about
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: Evo E9x M3 buyers guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46Dawg View Post
Hardly. It's a known issue. You can ignore if you wish.
Ignore it? LOL. I drive the car everyday. Its 100% fine and something I never think about/notice other than the very first start in the mornings when the oil/clutches are cold.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Evo E9x M3 buyers guide in the Off Topic Forum - Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive) at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)