BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E36 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Closed Thread

Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 03:03:20 AM   #1
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

Default If you had to buy your M3 again.....

What would you have done differently? I'm in the process of researching buying an M3 (1997-1998 Sedan) and would like to know the pros and cons of getting one of these cars.
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 03:09:56 AM   #2
astan100

I think that I might have really really waited for an Estoril. The color is just awesome, but it will be much harder to find a 4 dr in Estoril.

It is probably the most sought after color these days.

There is some post like +-3 posts from yours about buying a used M3...check that out.

The overall key is patience though; don't bust a nut on the first one you see. That was a bad way to put it, but you get the point. Really sit back and think about it and get friends opinions...guys and girls. This is important...dont' forget whom you are trying to impress.

Objective opinions from outsiders are really helpful.
Recently installed: New set of Rear Bilsteins with RE RSMs
To be installed: UUC Red TME's, Alpine Head Unit/Sirius
Current annoying M3 problems: wind noise from badly aligned windows
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 03:26:23 AM   #3
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

I get so impatient that I start to feel like compromising my list of wants in an M3. The 4door manual combo is just not that common. I see them listed in other areas of the country, but I think you need to test drive and stuff before spending 20k on a car.
As for color I'd take an M3 in any except for yellow(no offence to their owers, just a little too flashy for me). That blue is nice. Of course all M3's look like a million bucks IMO.
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 03:31:53 AM   #4
CMT
You gotta be cool. Let the coolness get into your vertebrae.

In the garage:

United States

Estoril is nice, but IMHO nothing compares to Cosmos when it is clean. Of course it is just so damn tough to keep it immaculate when one lives in the real world (read: not Florida, Cali, Texas, or other like climate ), that I know I would buy a bullet and rent a gun if my M3 were black.

I will say this: Estoril at night can be a bit outrageous in the right lighting, where it can shine an almost flagrant purple:

(big pics)

http://www.rimpro.com/m3/cmt/c4.jpg

http://www.rimpro.com/m3/cmt/c9.jpg

Sammy - Do not, under any circumstance, allow your impatience to compromise your search. The right is is out there, it;s just sometimes a matter of allowing it to find you.
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 03:55:05 AM   #5
1flossedm3
Bleach Blonde Hunter

United States

i really like dakar , but my cosmos looks awesome when clean

1995 BMW M3 *Cosmos* Sold
1998 BMW M3 *Arctic* Sold
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 04:13:20 AM   #6
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

CMT, those pictures are awesome Is that Boston? My girlfriend is visiting there right now and of course she says it's beautiful.
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 04:21:00 AM   #7
CMT
You gotta be cool. Let the coolness get into your vertebrae.

In the garage:

United States

I live about 20 minutes north of Boston in North Andover. The first pic was taken in Andover center, home of the IRS, and the second was right outside my front porch.

Boston is nice, but right now with all the construction it can kind of stink on ice.
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 04:28:23 AM   #8
astan100

I am going to reiterate what has been said numerous times...dont' let impatience get the best of you.

I am a firm believer in test driving anything you like first and then getting professional mechanics to come out and look at it. This is a large investment.

HUGE POINT: If you want a manual now, that won't change if you get an auto...don't make the mistake of buying an auto if you really want manual. Tranny swaps are damn expensive and many people do them. Buy this thing right the first time. I dont' like the theory of, well, it doesn't have the following things on it but I can alway sdo it later if I really need to. That gets you into trouble.

Nothing is more important than the manual vs. auto decision though. Go to bimmerforums.com and roadfly.org and hit up their classifieds. Lots of good cars there.

All M3's are driven hard...very few people buy them not to drive hard, so you have to accept that, but hopefully people on forums at least have a history on the forum and you can read their past posts...in addition we're mostly fanatics.

If you notice all previous posts of a seller is about racing and going 100+ mph...maybe find another car. So, if you can find a car from forums...it could be a good choice.
Recently installed: New set of Rear Bilsteins with RE RSMs
To be installed: UUC Red TME's, Alpine Head Unit/Sirius
Current annoying M3 problems: wind noise from badly aligned windows
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 04:52:24 AM   #9
IIrjII
True M3 Enthusiast

The only thing i would do is find an M3 with a warranty. You never know when you'll be paying your friendly neighborhood dealer to fix a problem that would cost you an arm or leg.

I drive the machine the way it was made to be driven.....

AOL AIM: IIcarinosonII or IIrjII 619
Old Mon, Oct-27-2003, 05:22:26 AM   #10
JB///M3
See ya in the twisties!

hmm...i would have gotten black inside instead of Dove Grey... Dove looks so damn good when clean, but gets dirty quick... thats about it though, i love my car...