BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Aug-22-2015, 05:03:10 AM   #1
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Question Car feels jittery, looking for some opinions!

Hey guys, just looking for any ideas here. This isn't super urgent as its not a huge problem that affects the driving too much, more of just an annoyance. I'm due for an oil change in a few thousand miles so I'll get the whole car a good check up then, but I'd like to hear some opinions if anyone has experienced this.

2005 M3, 91k miles, OEM 19s, Michelon Pilot A/S 3's- Fronts 4k miles, Rears 1k miles (35 psi all around) Also just got new brake pads and rotors this week.

About a month ago, I went from driving almost smooth rears and put new tires on there, so basically its hard for me to determine when this started because the handling was wonky then anyways. But basically the car gets a shaky, jittery feeling no matter what speed. Light vibration in the steering wheel, but also in my seat and the floor. The front end feels like its driving over an unevenly paved road, such as when they scratch the asphalt all up before repaving or sort of like on a gravel path. The rear feels a bit floaty, like its wandering around. It just doesn't feel very tight and connected. When I get up to speed on a big highway anything over 75 mph makes the car feel quite unstable. The condition doesn't dramatically change with speed, I think it just makes it more pronounced. Nothing unable to drive, just not the most comfortable.

My first instinct was to check the balance because of the light steering vibration, got that checked TWICE and its all good (we have lots of road work in the area and everyone is dropping weights, got them done on another car and the weights fell off the next day from the horrible road conditions). They did find a teeny tiny bend in my LR wheel and everyone at the shop swore there's no way I'd even feel it (it's only noticeable when on the balancing machine. I couldn't see it until it was pointed out.) The car doesn't veer to one direction either. Stops well (now, thanks to no longer being metal on metal......), accelerates well, doesn't seem down on power or anything weird like that. It just feels like I'm having to "hold on" a bit more to keep it from rattling in of my hand on really rough roads. The condition of the road definitely makes the issue show up more than on a super smooth road, but even on very well paved roads, I feel it.

Would something like the rtabs give it that jittery feeling? I got the car at 43k, haven't changed those and I doubt the owner before me did either. Or does it sound like something more serious?

So, any ideas? I'm all ears. Thanks!

Last edited by nascar_acj; Sat, Aug-22-2015 at 05:22:11 AM.
Jump to top nascar_acj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Aug-22-2015, 05:21:49 AM   #2
Shadytype
Undercarriage checker

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Car feels jittery, looking for some opinions!

I would start with rtab said and fcabs and an alignment. A broken front fcab can contribute to your front end feeling and mild shake.
Jump to top Shadytype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-22-2015, 05:12:03 PM   #3
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadytype View Post
I would start with rtab said and fcabs and an alignment. A broken front fcab can contribute to your front end feeling and mild shake.
Sounds right. That's what I'm figuring it may be.
Jump to top nascar_acj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-22-2015, 11:53:03 PM   #4
Shadytype
Undercarriage checker

In the garage:

United States

Got r done and report back
Jump to top Shadytype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-23-2015, 04:22:05 AM   #5
RedM3/4

United States

It probably is primarily RTABS, but if you have no history of other suspension maint, I'd keep eliminating ALL suspension play and consider strut/shock replacement.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote