BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Fri, Oct-04-2013, 07:39:49 PM   #1
TO///M3
///M Life

In the garage:

United States

Question Putting Springs on Stock Shocks

Hello,

My name is Thomas and maybe some of you have seen my other posts but i just bought a 2010 E92 M3. Ive been doing ALOT of research in this section of the forum to get a basic idea of what the "general" mods people do to these M's.

As i was looking for suspension, i feel like alot of people get springs and not full coilovers. So far, i like the ride of the stock suspension and this car is my DD and will probably never see track time, so i dont really need coilovers. But i do want to get a more aggressive stance without spending almost 2k on coilovers when i really just want the aesthetics...

Is there any issue putting lowering springs on stock stocks? I know its usually frowned upon and can damage the stocks... is it a different story for the E92 suspension? I have EDC by the way... Im looking at the RD Sport Springs http://www.pyspeed.com/RD-Sport-Spor...sport-8101.htm

Thanks in advance

2010 LeMans Blue Metallic E92 ///M3 DCT
Macht Schnell Test Pipes | AE Performance Exhaust | KW S/O Kit | Lux V4
Daily Driven like it should be.
Jump to top TO///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-04-2013, 08:11:16 PM   #2
C-M2

United States

Default Re: Putting Springs on Stock Shocks

Nothing wrong with putting springs on a car. It will decrease the life of the struts and the ride will be different. A lot of people run the RD's.

I currently run a KW sleeve over kit. In the spring I will be moving to the Ohlins R/T Coilovers.

2009 Space Gray e92 M3 Coupe/// OEM C/F Performance Trim, OEM Performance Steering Wheel, OEM Performance C/F Limited Center Console, OEM C/F Performance Mirror Covers, OE GTS Front Splitter/Lip, LCI Tails, IND Blacked Out Trim Pieces, SuperSprint Race Section 1-2-3, Apex EC7s 18x10/18x11, Stoptech 6pot, AlekShop 90mm Studs, AlekShop Half Cage, Recaro Profi XL's, Planted Seat Hardware, Custom Rear Seat Delete, Ohlins R&T Coilovers, Vorshlag Camber Plates, RD Sport Sways, AlekShop Solid/Delrin Rear Subframe Bushings, AlekShop Solid/Delrin Diff Bushings, Dinan Intake

Sold
04 ///M3 Jet Black Coupe
Jump to top C-M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-04-2013, 11:19:11 PM   #3
tony093

United States

H&R on EDC shocks here for about 2 years with no issue.
Jump to top tony093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-05-2013, 01:26:10 AM   #4
endlessNA2
DHS

In the garage:

United States

Don't waste your time with lowering springs. I have done this with 3 M cars and wish I would have never done it.

The problem is ALL springs leave the front with almost an inch of gap. To me that is unacceptable and looks bad. The Z4MC was really bad for this.

So do it right the first time and get coilovers. If you are on a budget then save some money and leave it stock until you get coilovers. You will be glad you did.

Good luck.

Jump to top endlessNA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-07-2013, 05:24:18 AM   #5
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

I like the Eibach pro kit springs I put on the E46. Slight drop (which may not do what you like) and progressive rate springs so your daily driver ride isn't atrocious. Not sure they make them for the E9x chassis though.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-07-2013, 02:05:50 PM   #6
TO///M3
///M Life

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessNA2 View Post
Don't waste your time with lowering springs. I have done this with 3 M cars and wish I would have never done it.

The problem is ALL springs leave the front with almost an inch of gap. To me that is unacceptable and looks bad. The Z4MC was really bad for this.

So do it right the first time and get coilovers. If you are on a budget then save some money and leave it stock until you get coilovers. You will be glad you did.

Good luck.
It looks like the RD springs give a pretty aggressive drop and i really dont need the benefits coilovers give...

Im not going to track the car, and i dont really car about adjusting this and that, so the price difference in springs vs coils arent justified for me.

I really just want to make sure putting springs only wont mess up anything on my car, like blow my shocks out or ruin the EDC function.

Old Mon, Oct-07-2013, 10:01:13 PM   #7
lcrain

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO///M3 View Post
It looks like the RD springs give a pretty aggressive drop and i really dont need the benefits coilovers give...

Im not going to track the car, and i dont really car about adjusting this and that, so the price difference in springs vs coils arent justified for me.

I really just want to make sure putting springs only wont mess up anything on my car, like blow my shocks out or ruin the EDC function.
Sounds like you have made up your mind. Adding springs won't mess up anything per-se, but they will likely lead to shocks losing a little bit of their life. The springs will make the ride slightly worse, and the function of the EDC will likely be affected though not such that it will completely defeat the functionality of the shocks. From what I understand, the changes from each setting to the next is less noticeable.

Coilovers are overkill for some people, but the advantage they offer is a set of dampers/springs that are designed to work together, like the OEM suspension. Many who install just lowering springs also install e36 bumpstops to restore some of the suspension travel lost when adding lowering springs.
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 07:32:00 AM   #8
Curt2000

United States

Eibach springs with spacers looks very clean IMO...here is a pic of my car with Eibach Pro-kit and 15mm front / 12mm rear spacers...no rubbing issues at all!
Jump to top Curt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 03:23:45 PM   #9
TO///M3
///M Life

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
Eibach springs with spacers looks very clean IMO...here is a pic of my car with Eibach Pro-kit and 15mm front / 12mm rear spacers...no rubbing issues at all!
looks awesome man, i want a little more aggressive drop than the Eibach though, you think i would rub if i did 18mm front / 15mm rear with stock 19s?

Last edited by TO///M3; Wed, Oct-09-2013 at 03:27:31 PM.
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 09:25:28 PM   #10
Curt2000

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO///M3 View Post
looks awesome man, i want a little more aggressive drop than the Eibach though, you think i would rub if i did 18mm front / 15mm rear with stock 19s?
I've never had any problems so I'm sure a couple extra mm's wont be too bad...maybe a slight rub when hitting a bump while turning
Jump to top Curt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote