BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-04-2007, 10:59:10 PM   #11
nvk

India

Nice thread! Thanks.
Jump to top nvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-04-2007, 11:14:23 PM   #12
Cleveland
///M POWERED

Reputation: 0 Cleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland Porsha

United States

Objective comparison...
True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and give their all for the success of the team. They can be identified by the clarity of their vision, the strength of their actions, and the integrity of their intent. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, and the courage to make tough decisions. A true leader has compassion, and is willing to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but he becomes one by the confidence that he inspires in others. He commands the respect of his peers, and is humbled by the admiration of his followers. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan, and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader's commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.
Jump to top Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-04-2007, 11:35:27 PM   #13
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHOUNDER View Post
Have koni d/a's and no rattle...maybe they're broken?

Great work as always!!!
From what I've gathered, about 2/3 of the TCK DA rears rattle. I don't believe standard koni DAs do rattle-- TCK has custom valving

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-04-2007, 11:37:50 PM   #14
NPalacioM3

In the garage:

Spain

Very objective and well written, But be on the look out for the Tein and PSS9 "ballers"! They might be scoping out your mod day to make an assassination attempt....
Old Thu, Oct-04-2007, 11:43:01 PM   #15
Jasoncor
Grumpy Young Man

In the garage:

United States

Im just wondering what are the difference between kwv2 and kwv3 coilovers, and do you think they are better for handling compared to pss9's?
Old Fri, Oct-05-2007, 12:01:15 AM   #16
ShakeNbake
Texas 2 step

Canada

Ian, my motons ride better on the street than my Konis did with street hardware. What impacts civility is the rest of the racing stuff that you would typically install along with them (high rate springs, monoballs, race bushings, etc).

09 E90 M3 DCT | Turner Studs | RedNeck cutouts | Britax Seat | Diaper survival kit | Bassified
Jump to top ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-05-2007, 12:19:53 AM   #17
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw jay View Post
Im just wondering what are the difference between kwv2 and kwv3 coilovers, and do you think they are better for handling compared to pss9's?
V2s are single adjustable-- Rebound only. V3s are Dual adjustable-- rebound and compression. I'd be happy to source either for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacy View Post
Ian, my motons ride better on the street than my Konis did with street hardware. What impacts civility is the rest of the racing stuff that you would typically install along with them (high rate springs, monoballs, race bushings, etc).
Yes, but to take full advantage of the performance benefit of motons over TCK, GC, etc, you need monoball RSMs, etc-- items which eliminate the civility. I think there's some loss of civility from the ride height, too-- I barely clear speed bumps at 13.5F 13R

That said, I would have Motons if I could afford them

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Fri, Oct-05-2007 at 12:44:02 AM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-05-2007, 12:44:51 AM   #18
Cleveland
///M POWERED

Reputation: 0 Cleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland Porsha

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
From what I've gathered, about 2/3 of the TCK DA rears rattle. I don't believe standard koni DAs do rattle-- TCK has custom valving
It's unfortunate for TC Kline that they can't really fix that problem themselves. That's because they outsource those parts. Any problems aren't easily correctable because the manufacturer (KONI) is in control.

That's why I love the KW products...

KW Variant 2 & 3 coilovers are the best overall coilover kits on the market. (my opinion) They aren't cheap by any stretch, but they are worth every penny. They have the best material construction quality of any coilover kit built for our E46 M3's. (regardless of cost)

KW designs, manufactures, and tests suspension systems for each individual name plate (Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Porsche, etc.), and they also design and valve ALL suspension dampers to each individual MODEL within that brand.

I can't disagree more with your assessment of the KW damping parameters. They design, manufacture, and extensively test each and every system they sell for street driving. (you can't ask for more than that)

All of KW's primary suspension components are built in-house. (struts, shocks & springs) They do not outsource all the coilover components like 95% of their competitors. That gives them a substantial leg up on the QUALITY CONTROL that other company's simply don't have in place. They invested millions of dollars to have that kind of advantage in the marketplace.

ALL KW BMW Coilover kits are made in Germany and have been TUV certified for use on public roads. This is the highest quality certification a company can receive in Europe. It requires an expensive and time-consuming process to seek this type of endorsement. Every product is throughly stress tested past the level it would ever be subjected to on any public road. All aspects of the kit are tested and retested again (coils, strut cartridges, shocks) to insure it meets the TUV's stringent requirements. Not only did the KW kit pass the TUV's punishing requirements at the highest settings, it passed them on everyride hight setting. (including the lowest possible setting)

Now ask yourself...what other coilover kit (for our M3's) has undergone this kind of independent quality control testing regimen?

The KW coilovers are impervious to rust, corrosion, road salt, acid rain, etc... because the strut housing and shock bodies are built with 100% T-304 stainless steel materials. (including all the mounting hardware) All reinforced brackets and high strength bolts (10.9 rated) 6061 aluminum alloy ride height adjustor's that are anodized to prevent corrosion. 100% Teflon internal seals to prevent leaking struts and shocks. These features are extremely rare in the BMW aftermarket. I don't know of other aftermarket company that can make these claims.

They are also an OE spring supplier to EIBACH. Ironically, some of the Eibach springs they manufacture, end up on their competitors kits!

Did you know that Obioban?

KW is also the #1 aftermarket suspension company in Europe, the #1 racing team suspension supplier (including the 2007 GT2 24H of Lemans winner), and they are the EXCLUSIVE OE supplier to Mercedes-Benz for their top of the line AMG cars.
True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and give their all for the success of the team. They can be identified by the clarity of their vision, the strength of their actions, and the integrity of their intent. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, and the courage to make tough decisions. A true leader has compassion, and is willing to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but he becomes one by the confidence that he inspires in others. He commands the respect of his peers, and is humbled by the admiration of his followers. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan, and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader's commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.
Jump to top Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-05-2007, 01:00:22 AM   #19
Mpoweroo1
OO=00=OO

United States

Great write up man!!! I have GC s/a coilovers with 650f/600r spring rate. They are a little harsh on the street but very nice on the track.
Jump to top Mpoweroo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-05-2007, 01:17:08 AM   #20
Hawse771

What's AST? price? links?
Jump to top Hawse771 is offline   Reply With Quote