BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Nov-28-2014, 07:15:10 PM   #141
M_Thrizzle

Default Re: CSL M3 = MINI Cooper, battery that is. Weight benefit?

I bought the Bosch group 47 size Mini Cooper battery at PepBoys. They wouldn't install it, saying it's not the right size (I knew that).

I installed it myself. It weighs 13.5 lb less than my OEM battery, which lasted at least 8.5+ years since I bought the car in 2006!

Installation tip: there is a white plastic block that helps hold the battery in place. Pull it out and move it to the hole that is more towards the front of the car. This helps keep the smaller Mini battery in place. Also, the battery has 2 vent holes but one is plugged so relocate it before installing it if needed. I needed to.
2001 Jet Black ///M3 6MT rolling on 19" BBS CH's | PSS-9 suspension | OEM Strut Brace | UUC Swaybars | K&N CAI | Powerflex RTAB's | Rogue Engineering Rasp Pipe & RSM's | Cold Weather Pkg | Pwr Seats | HK Audio | Homelink

RIP: 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite | OEM Brembo's | Z-tube, K&N, Plenum Spacer, Stillen Sway Bars
Jump to top M_Thrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Nov-01-2015, 08:17:41 PM   #142
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert View Post
Actually it's a 3 year warranty. And I'm on my third ****ing one right now.

The first battery started to leak electrolyte after one month -- bad enough that my trunk started to smell like rotten eggs (sulfur).

The replacement was fine for 33 months (whew), until it stopped holding a charge. When I pulled it out, yep, it was leaking a little electrolyte as well.

I figure when this new one goes bad, regardless if it's still under warranty or not, I'm going to buy an Optima.
Pep Boys was hassle free exchanging the batteries, but I spent enough time dicking around with this.
Well, here we are another three years later, and I just replaced the battery again. This is the fourth Bosch battery. Last time I said I would switch to something else, but I've been a cheap bastard and didn't want to fork out more money for a different battery.

This time it was completely dead and wouldn't hold a charge, nor could I recharge it.
Pep Boys hooked it up to their fancy charger analyzer and it read as a failed battery. Not sure if their machine can detect sulfation issues or not.

They replaced it again, but did ask I pay $15 this time. Not sure if it's because of the prorated replacement charge, or a difference in price which has now gone up to $175, but either way I am not complaining.

The battery looks completely different than the previous three. No more visible fill caps (which is where the old ones had leaked). They also got rid of the fabric carrying strap and now have a plastic handle. No protective cover over the positive terminal, however.

Hopefully this will be the last replacement. Just as a precaution, I plan on unplugging the battery every time I stop running the car. I don't think it's my alternator (haven't had the red battery light), but I can't say that for certain and this car isn't young anymore. We'll see.
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-01-2015, 09:54:30 PM   #143
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Well, here we are another three years later, and I just replaced the battery again. This is the fourth Bosch battery. Last time I said I would switch to something else, but I've been a cheap bastard and didn't want to fork out more money for a different battery.

This time it was completely dead and wouldn't hold a charge, nor could I recharge it.
Pep Boys hooked it up to their fancy charger analyzer and it read as a failed battery. Not sure if their machine can detect sulfation issues or not.

They replaced it again, but did ask I pay $15 this time. Not sure if it's because of the prorated replacement charge, or a difference in price which has now gone up to $175, but either way I am not complaining.

The battery looks completely different than the previous three. No more visible fill caps (which is where the old ones had leaked). They also got rid of the fabric carrying strap and now have a plastic handle. No protective cover over the positive terminal, however.

Hopefully this will be the last replacement. Just as a precaution, I plan on unplugging the battery every time I stop running the car. I don't think it's my alternator (haven't had the red battery light), but I can't say that for certain and this car isn't young anymore. We'll see.
Just plug in a $30 charger\ maintainer
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-02-2015, 03:19:34 AM   #144
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Just plug in a $30 charger\ maintainer
1. No power in garage
2. I think this a durability issue of these batteries (but having said that, I can't completely rule out that it's my car at fault)
Old Mon, Nov-02-2015, 06:34:49 AM   #145
usdmej

United States

are you buying the bosch agm battery? or a normal one?
Old Wed, Nov-04-2015, 05:02:17 PM   #146
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdmej View Post
are you buying the bosch agm battery? or a normal one?
The normal ones. I did not know they made an AGM version.
Old Mon, Dec-12-2016, 04:10:38 PM   #147
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob

United Nations

Quote:
The normal ones. I did not know they made an AGM version.
after nine years my mini cooper s/csl/sears diehard battery died..

it was probably more my fault than the batteries.. i let it die all the way to nothing at least 5 times over that nine years of ownership.

when i put it on my battery tender plus for over night the lights indicated a complete charge.. however when i put it in the car it still did not have enough power to start the car or make it turn over.. and we all know that the e46's hate not have a good charge on the battery.. all sorts of weird happens.

for instance yesterday when the battery started to drain, my driver window just started rolling down.. in one inch increments until i disconnected the negative cable thus killing the power... it was raining btw

anyways.. went to sears this morning and gave them the same car info i did 9 years ago 2005 mini cooper 4-1958 1.6l...

this one is an agm series.. and weight 39 pounds as opposed to 30 lbs when new.. it is a newly fangled gel battery so said the nice lady at the parts counter.

if it lasts 9 years i will be happy.. the car will probably fall apart around the battery.. haha

Last edited by bmwJohhnyD; Mon, Dec-12-2016 at 04:18:14 PM.
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote