BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 04:45:43 AM   #1
Panzer

In the garage:

Japan

Default Help me get into the 3000 lbs club!

Hey guys,

I’ve had my car 4 years now and have always wanted to keep power mods to a minimum (headers and rest of exhaust for example), so I’ve always made weight reduction a point of emphasis to increase performance.

I really want 300 whp and 3000 lbs. I think that’s a nice set up. My car is SMG and here’s what’s been done to it:

Factory sunroof delete
Status Gruppe Front Bumper
Status Gruppe CSL diffuser
Vorsteiner CSL trunk
Sparco Evo (driver and passenger)
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 / 18x10
Michelin PSS 255/35/18 and 265/35/18
Hotchkis hallow front and rear sways
KW Coilovers (will be switching soon)
Rogue RSM
Powerflex poly RTAB
Rear toolkit and flat repair delete
Window washer reservoir delete
Rear seat and backrest delete
Stoptech slotted rotors
SS brake lines
CSL battery
Euro center console

Here’s what I plan to do next:

Front and rear door/side panel delete
Rear seat belt removal
HARD Motorsport door cards w/ RS door pulls
HARD Motorsport rear seat bulkhead
Camber plates
Euro headers (not sure yet if I want Euro sec 1 too)
Lightweight sec 3 (haven’t picked one yet)
Rear deck removal
Harness bar or half cage

Here’s what I’m considering if that still doesn’t get me to 3000 lbs:

Front and rear carpet delete

I don’t really want to touch the dash (including the AC), and would prefer to have a functional trunk. Do you guys think my plans can get me to 3000 lbs?

I only weighed my car once, back when I first bought it and it was stock (save for some big heavy 19 inch wheels and crappy tires). IIRC it weighed in at around 3400 lbs back then. In my current situation, I don't have access to a scale.

Jump to top Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 05:01:12 AM   #2
C///M

United States

Default Re: Help me get into the 3000 lbs club!

I ran through it quickly in my head, but it's late and I'm not sure of my numbers. Because you have to add back some weight, I got you much closer to 3100.

There's quite a lot of weight in the stock brakes, though it's cost prohibitive. That said, I run the popular CSL/Porsche setup and got a 4 wheel setup for under $2k out the door, but I'd say around $2k is realistic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Jump to top C///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 05:15:25 AM   #3
C///M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Hey guys,

Iíve had my car 4 years now and have always wanted to keep power mods to a minimum (headers and rest of exhaust for example), so Iíve always made weight reduction a point of emphasis to increase performance.

I really want 300 whp and 3000 lbs. I think thatís a nice set up. My car is SMG and hereís whatís been done to it:

Factory sunroof delete
Status Gruppe Front Bumper
Status Gruppe CSL diffuser
Vorsteiner CSL trunk
Sparco Evo (driver and passenger)
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 / 18x10
Michelin PSS 255/35/18 and 265/35/18
Hotchkis hallow front and rear sways
KW Coilovers (will be switching soon)
Rogue RSM
Powerflex poly RTAB
Rear toolkit and flat repair delete
Window washer reservoir delete
Rear seat and backrest delete
Stoptech slotted rotors
SS brake lines
CSL battery
Euro center console

Hereís what I plan to do next:

Front and rear door/side panel delete
Rear seat belt removal
HARD Motorsport door cards w/ RS door pulls
HARD Motorsport rear seat bulkhead
Camber plates
Euro headers (not sure yet if I want Euro sec 1 too)
Lightweight sec 3 (havenít picked one yet)
Rear deck removal
Harness bar or half cage

Hereís what Iím considering if that still doesnít get me to 3000 lbs:

Front and rear carpet delete

I donít really want to touch the dash (including the AC), and would prefer to have a functional trunk. Do you guys think my plans can get me to 3000 lbs?

I only weighed my car once, back when I first bought it and it was stock (save for some big heavy 19 inch wheels and crappy tires). IIRC it weighed in at around 3400 lbs back then. In my current situation, I don't have access to a scale.

Sorry I meant to add, first, I'm one of those crazy proponents of a heavier section 3 because removing all that weight from the back throws off the balance especially considering you've already removed quite a bit. I even went with an OEM CSL trunk lid specifically because it's 10+ lbs heavier than aftermarket FRP and CF trunk lids.

Second, I feel like you've done pretty much what's easily available to do and I thought these cars get down to around 3k lbs with those changes so I don't know where I'm off or where else you go from here other than what you said. The OE carpet and sound deadening is super heavy, so that's bound to get you under 3k.

If you still want carpet, just get some cheap and lightweight carpet fabric.
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 05:19:54 AM   #4
lmtfi

United States

A far lighter battery is easy - and a good loss.

Why ADD a harness bar/ half cage? (Unless you are concerting the car to track-only - in which case you can start stripping out the rear seats, trunk liner, soundproofing, audio etc......
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 05:25:10 AM   #5
C///M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post

Why ADD a harness bar/ half cage? (Unless you are concerting the car to track-only - in which case you can start stripping out the rear seats, trunk liner, soundproofing, audio etc......
He's already got a lighter battery, though there are even lighter aftermarket alternatives. He's also already removed rear seats and I'm guessing stereo equipment considering he's gotten rid of door panels/rear shelf/etc.

And the whole point of harness bars and bolt in roll bars are for dual purpose cars that see street and track so can't get a full weld-in cage.

Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 05:37:55 AM   #6
delvin
Water Champion

United States

How about full carbon fenders, boot lid, roof, and CSL bumper?

https://www.streamlineautosport.com/shop/
Jump to top delvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 05:43:36 AM   #7
Panzer

In the garage:

Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by C///M View Post
Sorry I meant to add, first, I'm one of those crazy proponents of a heavier section 3 because removing all that weight from the back throws off the balance especially considering you've already removed quite a bit. I even went with an OEM CSL trunk lid specifically because it's 10+ lbs heavier than aftermarket FRP and CF trunk lids.

Second, I feel like you've done pretty much what's easily available to do and I thought these cars get down to around 3k lbs with those changes so I don't know where I'm off or where else you go from here other than what you said. The OE carpet and sound deadening is super heavy, so that's bound to get you under 3k.

If you still want carpet, just get some cheap and lightweight carpet fabric.
Wow! Thanks for all the information man!

As far as the section 3, good point which I'll take into account. I'm still running the stock one which we all know is like a brick. And definitely why I made this thread, I'm starting to run out of ideas for easy/reversible weight reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post

Yeah this car is going to start to see the street less and less! Used to be my daily driver but not anymore. Already said sayonara to the rear interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by C///M View Post
He's already got a lighter battery, though there are even lighter aftermarket alternatives. He's also already removed rear seats and I'm guessing stereo equipment considering he's gotten rid of door panels/rear shelf/etc.

And the whole point of harness bars and bolt in roll bars are for dual purpose cars that see street and track so can't get a full weld-in cage.

Yup, if this were going to truly be a 100% track car I'd just weld a real cage in there but it won't ever be that. Want to be able to convert it back to cage/barless whenever. Was looking at the SUPER lightweight track batteries too actually. Really interested.

Jump to top Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 06:11:51 AM   #8
C///M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the information man!

As far as the section 3, good point which I'll take into account. I'm still running the stock one which we all know is like a brick. And definitely why I made this thread, I'm starting to run out of ideas for easy/reversible weight reduction.

Yeah this car is going to start to see the street less and less! Used to be my daily driver but not anymore. Already said sayonara to the rear interior

Yup, if this were going to truly be a 100% track car I'd just weld a real cage in there but it won't ever be that. Want to be able to convert it back to cage/barless whenever. Was looking at the SUPER lightweight track batteries too actually. Really interested.

Regarding your seat/harness setup, I recommend a 4-point bolt-in roll bar since you've already removed your rear seats and you can get them for 30% less than the harness bars that are available for the E46. You're going to get a little more weight, but it's in the middle of the car, they add some rigidity where harness bars are not structural, as a safety device they'll protect you in a crash, and did I mention they're drastically cheaper than E46-specific harness bars?

Personally, I want my rear seats, and while you can still run a bolt-in roll bar with rear seats, the harness bars have a quick removal feature if I need the rear seats available. So I grabbed the relatively new Agency Power E46 harness bar after this season had ended. I contacted Vivid Racing who apparently own AP and they cut me a great deal on an un-finished bar (because I had planned to custom paint mine) so it was much less expensive than the Brey-Krause harness bar and in my opinion, much more attractive/cleaner.

Edit: Also, for those mentioning Carbon roof/fenders, he already removed the sunroof, that's where all the weight is. I mean if you want to save every ounce, sure, but the carbon roof isn't a "ton" lighter than the factory steel roof believe it or not. Same goes for the fenders and especially the hood where the factory Aluminum hood is quite light. Again, if you're out to save every pound and money isn't a concern, then by all means Carbon Fiber all the way. But again, going that direction doesn't really give the best bang for buck.

Last edited by C///M; Fri, Dec-01-2017 at 06:20:53 AM.
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 01:52:40 PM   #9
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Help me get into the 3000 lbs club!

I was down to 2410 lbs before installing a full cage. The only thing I bought were fixed seats, lexan windows and a sunroof delete panel.

The real question is...what can you do without?

Stereo, carpets, interior parts, rear seat removal, and fixed back seats are an easy 200-250 lbs. Sunroof delete is another 50. Depending on your location, delete the AC is another 50.

Window washer tank + fluid, lighter exhaust, lighter wheels...your right at 3000.

To get below 3000, you need to suffer significantly more discomfort daily driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 02:19:50 PM   #10
SQ13

United States

Choice in seat mounts could help you lose weight. A floor mount + side mount + slider setup weighs more than a Brey Krause fixed seat mount setup.