BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 03:33:55 PM   #21
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Help me get into the 3000 lbs club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'm fully expecting it to suck

My basic plan is replace the functionality of every stereo/stereo related module in the trunk with an Avant 3, and then get rid of the wiring/mounting provisions for all those modules. BM52, MKIV, bluetooth, amp, etc, etc.

Plus, since my battery is only 6 lbs, I'm going to relocate it to the drug bin and get rid of the 8 lbs battery cable that runs back to the trunk.

It's going to be a very annoying project to do, but I'm thinking between the modules, mounting brackets, and wiring I should be at 40+ lbs of weight reduction with no reduction in functionality.
Radio stuff was actually going to be one of my examples. I had a plan for using some of these speakers since they use a rare earth magnet rather than the big, heavy steel/ standard magnet speakers http://www.kicker.com/powersports-coaxials, a lightweight amp, etc. ...and then got into it and said "f**k it, track car" and just ripped it all out and put a blank in its place. Especially since I got the BW exhaust (stock one literally broke free of all its hangars) livability was already kinda compromised.

MASSIVE weight savings, but a pretty big livability compromise if you're not willing to take the time to find a well engineered but still lightweight exhaust, lightweight stereo components (difficult with iron being in the inductors), etc.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 03:42:09 PM   #22
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Radio stuff was actually going to be one of my examples. I had a plan for using some of these speakers since they use a rare earth magnet rather than the big, heavy steel/ standard magnet speakers http://www.kicker.com/powersports-coaxials, a lightweight amp, etc. ...and then got into it and said "f**k it, track car" and just ripped it all out and put a blank in its place. Especially since I got the BW exhaust (stock one literally broke free of all its hangars) livability was already kinda compromised.

MASSIVE weight savings, but a pretty big livability compromise if you're not willing to take the time to find a well engineered but still lightweight exhaust, lightweight stereo components (difficult with iron being in the inductors), etc.
My speakers are rare earth magnets with carbon fiber diaphragms

and I'm going to power them off the internal amplifier in the Avant 3

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Fri, Dec-01-2017 at 03:45:31 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 03:42:31 PM   #23
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I'm fully expecting it to suck

My basic plan is replace the functionality of every stereo/stereo related module in the trunk with an Avant 3, and then get rid of the wiring/mounting provisions for all those modules. BM52, MKIV, bluetooth, amp, etc, etc.

Plus, since my battery is only 6 lbs, I'm going to relocate it to the drug bin and get rid of the 8 lbs battery cable that runs back to the trunk.

It's going to be a very annoying project to do, but I'm thinking between the modules, mounting brackets, and wiring I should be at 40+ lbs of weight reduction with no reduction in functionality.

I might weigh all of the wires I removed tonight out of curiosity. If you drill spot welds and remove all of the extra brackets then you might make it. If you trace wires going over the transmission hump, you can shorten a bunch of the large wires significantly which helps a little. Nuts and bolts add up to quite a bit of weight too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 03:47:26 PM   #24
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

You can find speakers and subs with neodymium magnets which are really light. Their main limitation is they become a paperweight if you overheat them. They typically have ferro fluid in then to cool them but that fluid dries out over time.

Heat isnít an issue with a tweet or a midrange with a 200-300hz crossover pt. Your biggest issue will be with the mid bass and subs. Those generate a bunch of heat. Especially a mid bass in an infinite baffle setup which is very common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 03:55:50 PM   #25
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 03:59:30 PM   #26
cozmo kraemer

United States

Quote:

What speakers are those? They look pretty awesome! It will be interesting to see how much weight you lose in the harness. I have a ways to go to start there. I need to see what my car weighs now. I have Li-Ion battery that's 6#, CSL interior, carbon roof, unnecessary stuff in trunk removed, and a massively thinned stereo (all HK crap removed, just running two front speakers, one JL stealthbox, and the lightest 3/4 channel amp I could find).

I know the exhaust is last place you want to lose weight, it still isn't what I would call 'worst'. There is no worst place. I'm sure you can get a little bit of the balance back in suspension setup. That being said, I am curious about the Fall Line exhaust that Nick Piper is running. It seems so much more civil than BW, but still loses a ton of weight.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 06:09:03 PM   #27
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

I'm surprised you're willing to live with a non-OEM head unit, Ian. I'm not.

In my coupe I have:

- removed the foam sound deadening but not the harder stuff
- removed all but front door speakers
- thinned radio wire harness
- lithium battery
- remove charcoal canister
- brakes and suspension on all four corners
- SS front to back (including race muffler, which is not even remotely civil and I hate it but I don't want to add weight)
- SMG to 6MT conversion
- wiper fluid delete
- SAP delete
- fog delete
- CF airbox
- sways
- Apex 18x9.5s
- lost 15lbs body weight (let's all be honest here; we could probably use this)
- beauty cover removal
- relocated coolant expansion tank to drug bin (same weight, but closer to center)
- radiator (I believe this is lighter)
- aux fan delete

Next is:

- CF front fenders
- possibly CF hood (mine got dented... )
- CF roof (just dreading the install)
- seats

I fully intend to keep the rear seat and rear deck and nav unit. I'm willing to do the lighter carpet that one member here did if it can be done without any visible seams or wrinkles and doesn't lower the heel height significantly.

With the exception of the muffler, the car is daily drivable if I set the Ohlins to a soft setting. (Motor, trans, and diff bushings all remain OE rubber.) It's not a DD, though, so I haven't been in a rush to put it back.
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 06:37:26 PM   #28
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I'm surprised you're willing to live with a non-OEM head unit, Ian. I'm not.
I wasn't until the Avin 3, which looks damn near identical to the stock MKIV head unit (unlike all the previous/other brand units).

Between all the extra functionality it'll enable, the weight it'll enable me to take off the car, and the 99% stock look... I'm willing to make the move

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 06:48:49 PM   #29
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Even if the orange lights finally match, the screen just seems so period incorrect to me.

Also I *despise* touchscreens in cars. When you're moving it's too tough to be precise, ends up taking your eyes off the road, etc. And at best, you have fingerprints all over the damn thing all the time...
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 07:01:32 PM   #30
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Even if the orange lights finally match, the screen just seems so period incorrect to me.

Also I *despise* touchscreens in cars. When you're moving it's too tough to be precise, ends up taking your eyes off the road, etc. And at best, you have fingerprints all over the damn thing all the time...
The screen is the exact same size/shape as the OE stock one that's in my car now.

I also dislike touch screens in cars. Happily, look at all the buttons it has