BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 07:10:03 PM   #61
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Designing a classy and timeless hood with functional heat reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegunz View Post
Most aftermarket hoods on the market are actually FRP underneath covered in carbon, or not actual carbon fiber but CFRP. Some have vents which are attached through a mechanism as well, which increases weight. An actual carbon fiber hood will be less than 5 kg in total, close to the mark you quoted. As a reference a trunk is 2.1 kg from carbon fiber, and can hold a 200kg downforce from a 2 point wing, so making a hood arround the 4kg mark while keeping it fully functional and operating on a daily is not far off at all. Hood pins will not be needed, it will be designed so that the stock ones are sufficient.

As for the filter housing, yep that did aid extraction for sure, but it doesn't explain why 99% of cases of thrown head gaskets are between cilinder 5 and 6. The explanation of the item being in the way, increasing temps exactly on these two cilinders (which both are behind the filter housing) is very logical. Just allowing more air to get there, and making the item from a more heat-repellant material, we believe will solve these issues and decrease engine temps. We will see if we can work with the design of the item to allow some venting out as well. That is in its beginer stages, I will updated when we have more info.

With our radiator and a better housing design, I believe engine temps should never be an issue again. The big mark is our engine package, and allowing sufficient cooling for it.

EDIT**

I just read your comment. We are thinking of using the side vents as functional mechanisms for venting out... That thought has crossed my mind. We will see if that is possible without ruining the engine bay of the car.

- Antony
What is this engine package you speak of?

Also would be interested in a CF filter housing. Especially if it can be painted matte black. Currently have the lightweight AGT on but that is fiberglass I believe.

Also would love to see those side vents on the fenders be used for something if it provides some decent cooling.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 08:02:26 AM   #62
Bubblegunz

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
What is this engine package you speak of?

Also would be interested in a CF filter housing. Especially if it can be painted matte black. Currently have the lightweight AGT on but that is fiberglass I believe.

Also would love to see those side vents on the fenders be used for something if it provides some decent cooling.

Not to get into the details yet too mutch, we are working on a full engine package including:

- motorsport inspired radiator
- Motorsport inspired oil cooler
- German made camshafts to order 288/280 (not schrick, but another motorsport company)
- BIllet rocker arms with directed lubrication (not splash lubrication as it curently is)
- Airbox with front snorkel
- Stepped header design with dual 3.5inch collector + 3.5 inch catted section 1 and titanium section 2 and 3 + tit muffler.
- 10k rpm capable dual valve springs + ss retainers (made in UK)
- forged conrods with L19 bolts (19% stronger than ARP2000) - custom made
- New piston rings from NEC (possibly)/ or optional forged pistons with 12:1 compression.

and a 8.7k redline with 430 hp guaranteed. We will see how mutch more we can get out of the setup.

We need to optimise cooling for that package in any way we can, so that is it in a nutshel. That is all for now that I will mention though, as when the time comes, we will announce the full thing. Many projects are in the making currently... We focus on the one at a time.
Jump to top Bubblegunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 08:18:11 AM   #63
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Not to get into the details yet too mutch, we are working on a full engine package including:

- German made camshafts to order 288/280 (not schrick, but another motorsport company)
- BIllet rocker arms with directed lubrication (not splash lubrication as it curently is)
- Stepped header design with dual 3.5inch collector + 3.5 inch catted section 1 and titanium section 2 and 3 + tit muffler.
- New piston rings from NEC (possibly)/ or optional forged pistons with 12:1 compression.

and a 8.7k redline with 430 hp guaranteed. We will see how mutch more we can get out of the setup.

We need to optimise cooling for that package in any way we can, so that is it in a nutshel. That is all for now that I will mention though, as when the time comes, we will announce the full thing. Many projects are in the making currently... We focus on the one at a time.
You are speaking my language now! I am looking to do an engine build for my car. Iím very intrigued in what you come up with now. I donít want to bring this thread too off topic. Maybe I can talk to you over Facebook.

One more question though. Will this be stock displacement or a stroker?

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 12:45:00 PM   #64

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

Whatís the timeline look like on all of these? I just started the rest of my engine build so looks like Iím going to miss out on most of those parts but definitely interested in the headers and exhaust and maybe even the valvetrain.

Engine: Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, ARP studs, Epic Motorsports Tune, AFE intake, CSL headers, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: Clutch Masters FX725, AKG stage II shifter, Vibra technics engine and trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, mason clutch pedal.
Suspension/Brakes: Bilstein PSS9's, UUC sway bars, PFC direct drive rotors, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's, Motorsport Hardware 75mm stud kit.
Coming soon: Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons, Carrillo rods, Karbonius CSL airbox, Supersprint V1 stepped headers & section 1, TMS Power Pullies, 36lb injectors, Cobra Nogaro seats.

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 12:50:10 PM   #65
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
OUR GOALS

. So we might be working on a new carbon fiber polen filter housing first, and then go for a hood... If this works, even venting the hood might not be required, unless we come up with a really amazing design.

Id be in for a non cf filter housing that is lighter then oem....the oem one is rediculous heavy and if you can design to reduce engine bay temps thats even better.

Would it use the oem filter housing cover?

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 01:03:07 PM   #66
Bubblegunz

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
What’s the timeline look like on all of these? I just started the rest of my engine build so looks like I’m going to miss out on most of those parts but definitely interested in the headers and exhaust and maybe even the valvetrain.
Radiator is comming out at the end of this week. Headers + Catted section 2 will come out arround Feb, so in 3-4 months time. Keep in mind we wount be working over the holidays obviously. We should have an oil cooler at that point as well.

We are working out our cam deal at the moment with the German company as we speak and with the billet cam-follower kit as well, these should be availiable arround that time as well. Valve Springs are already availiable, we just need to get some things sorted before we start offering them. They are stress tested to 9300 rpm with high-lift cams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1
Id be in for a non cf filter housing that is lighter then oem....the oem one is rediculous heavy and if you can design to reduce engine bay temps thats even better.

Would it use the oem filter housing cover?
We are open to ideas. Once we open it all up and get a good look at everything we will see what we can come up with. Currently we have 3 items due to release in the next 15 days, so we havn't had mutch time to do so. I presume we will be reusing the stock cover, but if we find that it compromises our idea in any way, we will be creating our own. I will keep you guys posted.

Best regards,
Antony
Jump to top Bubblegunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 02:11:53 PM   #67
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Radiator is comming out at the end of this week. Headers + Catted section 2 will come out arround Feb, so in 3-4 months time. Keep in mind we wount be working over the holidays obviously. We should have an oil cooler at that point as well.

We are working out our cam deal at the moment with the German company as we speak and with the billet cam-follower kit as well, these should be availiable arround that time as well. Valve Springs are already availiable, we just need to get some things sorted before we start offering them. They are stress tested to 9300 rpm with high-lift cams.

We are open to ideas. Once we open it all up and get a good look at everything we will see what we can come up with. Currently we have 3 items due to release in the next 15 days, so we havn't had mutch time to do so. I presume we will be reusing the stock cover, but if we find that it compromises our idea in any way, we will be creating our own. I will keep you guys posted.

Best regards,
Antony

Excellent please keep us up to date.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 06:01:55 PM   #68
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
To my eye, this is the best looking vented hood
I don't agree with you often, but this we agree.

If there was a hood with just the e9x vents it would be perfect imo... position them towards the front like kal did (but maybe just behind the airbox)

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 06:25:17 PM   #69
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

^something about that looks awkward to me.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 06:32:20 PM   #70
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
^something about that looks awkward to me.
Agreed, but I also think it's on the right track somehow? I think the angles just need to be tweaked to fit the more square-ish e46 rather than the curvy e90
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote