BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 05:07:09 AM   #1
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Default bad oil leak.

So this car has been a pain in the butt, one thing after the other.

So I am having this oil leak that started after changing my oil from liquimolly that I used as my break in oil for my car to the TWS. the leak burns the oil and from time to time smoke comes from the rear passenger side of the engine. thinking it may be my valve cover gasket since I have re-timed my vanos like 5 times when trouble shooting my P0014 code I thought hmm maybe the vcg is bad, but there was no drips underneath the car while parked, went to feel the side and back side of the valve cover and there was oil around those area (around the half moon+crankshaft sensor area where the valve cover and head meet) so I replaced it.

Idle'd the car after replacement and burned the remaining oil that was on the side and the smoke from burning oil stopped but this was just idle, didn't drive it.

the next day drove to LA to drop the car off to racewerkz for the subframe reinforcement job. and lo and behold I see smoke coming out from the side vents, sometimes on the passenger side sometimes on driver side and I smell the burning oil again from time to time.

I got to racewerkz, parked the car. then as I was walking away I noticed there was this big oil drip on the floor. I went back to the previous parking spot I parked the car at before driving handing over the car and there was a massive oil drip there. by the position of the oil that was leaked it seems like its coming from passenger side, all the way down to rear side.

FYI, the engine was rebuilt and recently and all major seals/gasket has been replaced, Rear main seal and oil pan gasket for sure is replaced and pretty new.

So I told racewerkz to maybe check it out where the leak is coming from once they get it on the lift, I got the call today and they said that they checked and can't determine where the oil leak is coz there's oil everywhere underneath the car, but they didn't mention anything about my valve cover gasket job, so I guess its mainly somewhere under the car? what can cause this leak? which seems like it went from mild leak that burns oil off the side of the engine to leaking badly. I wouldn't be surprised if I lost half a liter judging by the oil leak that I saw from the parking spots and knowing I was driving it for 2hrs like that.

Any insight on what could it be will be appreciated.
I will be going back to LA tomorrow and maybe I can snap some pictures if the car is up on the lift.

Last edited by erickrayos; Wed, Apr-10-2019 at 05:18:22 AM.
Jump to top erickrayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 05:17:24 AM   #2
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: bad oil leak.

CPV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 05:22:02 AM   #3
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
CPV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that was addressed during rebuild

But I did have it leak on me before the rebuild and the leak wasn't this bad, it was maybe a quarter size drip on the floor after leaving it overnight.

My oil leak severity is not as bad as this but on one of the picture where he took the picture of the floor, its almost like that (a little less oil I guess and it was in a span of 4hrs, not sure how much time passed by when he took that pic) and it looks like its coming from exhaust side down to the rear of engine in terms of where the oil on the floor is at.
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 05:36:10 AM   #4
M3_#67

In the garage:

United States

Is the crank case pressure regulator valve leaking under the beauty cover maybe?
Jump to top M3_#67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 01:28:33 PM   #5
jersey3

United States

return line from the head? Did you use an oem valve cover gasket?
Jump to top jersey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 01:47:45 PM   #6
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Maybe check this thread out:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=136324

I know that it's towards the front of the motor, but also give the chain tensioner and accumulator line a look see. GL!
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 01:51:31 PM   #7
burningchrome

In the garage:

United States

Sounds to me like you need to have a serious talk with the people who did your engine rebuild. If it was a shop, they better warranty that.
Jump to top burningchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 01:52:47 PM   #8
toy4to
Lemonade Tycoon

Canada

Yup, I also had an oil leak that came from the chain tensioner. Freaked me out like crazy until I found out the cause. You'll find oil on the AC compressor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post

I know that it's towards the front of the motor, but also give the chain tensioner and accumulator line a look see. GL!
Jump to top toy4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 02:17:16 PM   #9
Arith2

In the garage:

United States

Check the back of your valve cover gasket. I just ran into an issue where my EGT cable slipped under my valve cover last second. It was just enough to not be able to see it. When I put my car up on the lift, I thought it was the CPV but I saw an oil drop on the headers where the connect.
I know it's a long shot but just run your fingers around the back edge.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Buildjournal Tune | CSL Trans Software | Megan Racing Headers | Turner Power Pulleys | GruppeM Ti muffler | K&N Filter | ECS Silicone Intake Boot | SMG(Conversion coming one day) | Stainless Steel Vanos line | Dinan Strut Reinforcement bars F&R | OEM Sec 1 and 2 Exhaust | OEM Intake | Pioneer Radio | CSL Trunk | Headliner that isn't Saggy | Poorly Wrapped Steering Wheel by Previous Owner | OEM Suspension | Aftermarket Driver
Jump to top Arith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 02:47:30 PM   #10
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post

there is two of those on the rear of the cylinder head so it is possible that one of the two popped off. imma have em check it out.