BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Apr-13-2019, 10:18:01 PM   #31
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: At my wits end, misfire issue, OBDII monitors incomplete...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
I talked to the shop, and they think its a fuel pump.

I looked at my receipts and I bought my walbro off amazon from an unauthorized walbro seller, So i think my pump is fake, potentially giving fueling issues.

I bought the radium kit with a new walbro, will put that in once its here.
So you're cool buying fuel pumps willy nilly, but not swapping sensors?
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-19-2019, 01:50:31 PM   #32
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
So you're cool buying fuel pumps willy nilly, but not swapping sensors?
Traced the O2's with wiring pulled and all, they are in correct locations.

In other good news....

My car decided to behave for 2 days, CEL randomly cleared itself, and the evap monitor decided to ready up, meaning I could pass emissions, unfortunately, this happened at night, no stations open in the evenings. The next day after work, I went to GT Peace (my local shop), drove right up, left the car on, asked them to take it to do emissions leaving the car on.

They took it, came back....good news and bad news, bad news...CEL came on and she started misfiring on all cylinders....good news, IT HAPPENED AFTER IT PASSED EMISSIONS! wooo!

Got my new registration stickers and im legally on the road again. Fuel pump arriving Wednesday, will be changing it something next week. Got some mineral oil for my smoke tester, and I will be testing that soon.

Question:
Is it normal behavior for the engine to have a very slight idle bump (almost imperceivable) when you depress the clutch? Makes me think vacuum leak is somewhere perhaps.
1996 M3 Coupe, Techno Violet/Hurricane, 5MT

Gone but not fogotten:
1997 M3 Coupe Techno Violet/Mulberry 5MT, 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R 6MT, 1996 XJ Red/Tan AT, 1995 M3 Coupe Silver 5MT, 1988 325e Black/Black 5MT, 2002 330ci Blue/Grey 5MT, 2003 ZHP Sedan Black/Black 6MT, 2003 M3 Imola Red/Black 6MT
Jump to top alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-19-2019, 03:38:52 PM   #33
Kenny167

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Question:
Is it normal behavior for the engine to have a very slight idle bump (almost imperceivable) when you depress the clutch? Makes me think vacuum leak is somewhere perhaps.
I believe this is pretty normal, seeing as you're changing the rotating mass and therefore the load on the engine by releasing the clutch, transmission's input shaft, and half shaft from the engine.

I'm really curious about your misfiring issues. Have you checked the vacuum line for your fuel pressure regulator? While doing my manual swap I discovered that mine was just sorta set on the hose, there wasn't any kind of secure attachment. Probably explains the exceptionally random stalling I had when in idle and hitting bumps...

Edit: Didn't read all posts. Looking back throught this, I'd say that the issue has to lie with the tune. IIRC, there was 2 different kinds of setups with O2 sensors on the M3, the headers with cats in them, and then the setup with cats in the section 2 of the exhaust. Is it possible that the tuner enabled one or the other and it's incorrect? I know there's a different fuel routine for the cat warmup procedure, which I believe runs a richer mixture while the cats are coming up to temp. Could this be the culprit?

Here you can see the different options, including the cat protection (what I was referring to), and the "rear O2's", again what I was talking about. Maybe this stuff is worth checking?
https://imgur.com/I5vWvjw

Last edited by Kenny167; Fri, Apr-19-2019 at 04:08:45 PM.
Jump to top Kenny167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 11:22:22 PM   #34
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny167 View Post
I believe this is pretty normal, seeing as you're changing the rotating mass and therefore the load on the engine by releasing the clutch, transmission's input shaft, and half shaft from the engine.

I'm really curious about your misfiring issues. Have you checked the vacuum line for your fuel pressure regulator? While doing my manual swap I discovered that mine was just sorta set on the hose, there wasn't any kind of secure attachment. Probably explains the exceptionally random stalling I had when in idle and hitting bumps...

Edit: Didn't read all posts. Looking back throught this, I'd say that the issue has to lie with the tune. IIRC, there was 2 different kinds of setups with O2 sensors on the M3, the headers with cats in them, and then the setup with cats in the section 2 of the exhaust. Is it possible that the tuner enabled one or the other and it's incorrect? I know there's a different fuel routine for the cat warmup procedure, which I believe runs a richer mixture while the cats are coming up to temp. Could this be the culprit?

Here you can see the different options, including the cat protection (what I was referring to), and the "rear O2's", again what I was talking about. Maybe this stuff is worth checking?
https://imgur.com/I5vWvjw
Unsure what TTFS enabled when he did my tune, i may have to go back to him again to double check.

I just did a smoke test, found no leaks, replaced the fuel pump with radium kit unit, genuine walbro gss342, still misfires.

about to light this damn car on fire...

Gone but not fogotten:
1997 M3 Coupe Techno Violet/Mulberry 5MT, 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R 6MT, 1996 XJ Red/Tan AT, 1995 M3 Coupe Silver 5MT, 1988 325e Black/Black 5MT, 2002 330ci Blue/Grey 5MT, 2003 ZHP Sedan Black/Black 6MT, 2003 M3 Imola Red/Black 6MT
Old Wed, Apr-24-2019, 02:11:05 AM   #35
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Unsure what TTFS enabled when he did my tune, i may have to go back to him again to double check.

I just did a smoke test, found no leaks, replaced the fuel pump with radium kit unit, genuine walbro gss342, still misfires.

about to light this damn car on fire...

Get a rental and let me have it for a day man. Iím sure I can help you out.
2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-01-2019, 01:46:32 PM   #36
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSLM3Wannabi View Post
Get a rental and let me have it for a day man. Iím sure I can help you out.
Im ready to do this, ive given it a good faith effort, and stumped some mechanics already. Lmk what a good time is to drop it off, duly appreciate the help!

Gone but not fogotten:
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 04:58:25 PM   #37
alwaysbored786

In the garage:

United States

Update:

CSLM3Wannabi very graciously and kindly was able to taken my car in for a couple of days to use some of his guru diagnostic technician powers to figure out wtf is wrong with my car.

Smoke test, vanos test, all sorts of tests, cleaning TB's, cleaning IACV, new vacuum hoses from FPR, still misfired. Car idles and drives WAYYYY smoother after he cleaned my TB's and IACV, night and day difference, so happy this was done! However, car would still do the startup misfire.

He tried a spare DME laying around with a factory tune mapped to my car, zero misfires. It was tested over a period of 4 days and multiple (read: 30+) startups, never misfired at all, we believe it is the tune. Once my original DME went back in with the tune from TTFS, it had the same startup misfire right away.

TTFS is having me check the DME circuit board for leaking capacitors as a last check to see if that is potentially causing the issues, so i'll be checking that. If not, i will be going back to TTFS to have them fix my tuning issues.

Again, huge shout out to CSLM3Wannabi, without his help, i'd still be twiddling my thumbs trying to figure this damn this out.

Gone but not fogotten:
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:17:20 PM   #38
Kenny167

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Update:

CSLM3Wannabi very graciously and kindly was able to taken my car in for a couple of days to use some of his guru diagnostic technician powers to figure out wtf is wrong with my car.

Smoke test, vanos test, all sorts of tests, cleaning TB's, cleaning IACV, new vacuum hoses from FPR, still misfired. Car idles and drives WAYYYY smoother after he cleaned my TB's and IACV, night and day difference, so happy this was done! However, car would still do the startup misfire.

He tried a spare DME laying around with a factory tune mapped to my car, zero misfires. It was tested over a period of 4 days and multiple (read: 30+) startups, never misfired at all, we believe it is the tune. Once my original DME went back in with the tune from TTFS, it had the same startup misfire right away.

TTFS is having me check the DME circuit board for leaking capacitors as a last check to see if that is potentially causing the issues, so i'll be checking that. If not, i will be going back to TTFS to have them fix my tuning issues.

Again, huge shout out to CSLM3Wannabi, without his help, i'd still be twiddling my thumbs trying to figure this damn this out.
Hey look I was on the right track

I don't think it's leaking capacitors, because why would it change when the engine warmed up? I guess the idle is controlled differently but I doubt that's the issue.

The reason I say that is because the oxygen monitor shows incomplete, which tells me that in one way or another the ECU is getting bad info, or it's getting info and interpreting it as bad. This is likely due to the coding of the ECU (not the tune, but coding), which would explain why it worked with the other ECU.

If I were you, I'd check the different parameters I mentioned previously (mainly the cat protection and SAP cat heating) and see what's different between your ECU and the one you dropped in. If they're different, fix it, and if not, then continue the search...
Jump to top Kenny167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 09:45:12 PM   #39
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

I don't think it's leaking capacitors, because why would it change when the engine warmed up? I guess the idle is controlled differently but I doubt that's the issue.

The reason I say that is because the oxygen monitor shows incomplete, which tells me that in one way or another the ECU is getting bad info, or it's getting info and interpreting it as bad. This is likely due to the coding of the ECU (not the tune, but coding), which would explain why it worked with the other ECU.

If I were you, I'd check the different parameters I mentioned previously (mainly the cat protection and SAP cat heating) and see what's different between your ECU and the one you dropped in. If they're different, fix it, and if not, then continue the search...

You are more than likely correct, sir. Being that there are no issues once the warmup cycle has finished it is most likely a coding issue. However, the coding, I assume was done along with the tuning, leaving the tuner responsible for the repair. Last thing I want to do is mess with someone elseís work. Just happy I could be of assistance.
2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 10:01:17 PM   #40
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

Care to explain what can be ďcodedĒ on the mss54 rather than tuned? Iím quite certain thereís no distinction of that sort on this dme.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote