BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Mar-04-2019, 05:45:23 PM   #41
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Posted on the 964 forum, thought folks here might be interested

Yea I would get rid of the S Drives. Admittedly, I have a set on my street wheels because they were free as part of an article I wrote for European Car before they closed (*pours one out*) The sidewalls are too soft though. I had another set previously on my stock wheels, after one track day the sidewalls on the front left had literally been crushed by the weight of the car cornering. Part of that is the suspension needing to be appropriate for the tire, but regardless Yokohama has better offerings than the S Drive for stock or lightly modified cars. The AD08R is a great dry weather low tread wear tire, I track on these as well. The A052 is ridiculously fast but very pricey, and I would not recommend those for street driving. The Advan Sport V10S is good for spirited street driving but I would not track them with any sort of regularity. The Michelin PS4 is a good all around tire and is better in the wet (rarely needed here but still)

There's a million suspension options, I like KW because I've worked with them and seen the factory in Germany. I have had the Clubsport coilover on my E36 for a couple years now and they are a bit overkill for the street. I would get the V3 for two-way adjustability and a street friendly spring, and an adjustable upper mount like the Ground Control street plates. I had that setup on my last Honda but with TEIN upper mounts which are also a viable option.

People often recommend Vorshlag upper mounts, but the owner of that company has a nasty reputation for customer service and general asshattery, so do with that what you will.

You'll also want a set of adjustable real lower control arms, I recommend Powerflex for street. If any of your bushings are worn (almost inevitably they will be) just go with OEM replacements for street. There are a few chassis reinforcements that are not a bad idea to do "while you're in there."

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-04-2019, 05:53:11 PM   #42
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

KWV2 and less are pretty crap.

V3s and club sports are nice hardware... though clubsports are a bit stiff for street use.

TCK S/As are a nice, streetable setup. If you're tracking it and want more knobs to play with, D/As get you a 2nd knob with no compromise to streetability.

If you're just street driving, Dinan springs and Koni yellows are a pretty great combo.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-04-2019, 06:39:35 PM   #43
Smoove1

United States

OP, congrats on the purchase.

Personally, I have found that M3s have always been the best bargain sports car in their generation. I just picked up a '99 M3 over the weekend that will replace my '02 996. The 996 is a great weekend street car but the cost of ownership is much higher than a E36 M3. The cost of ownership doesn't really make sense for me as a 5th car. The real backseat you mentioned in the M3 makes all the difference so I can utilize it as my fun "dad" car while my E46 remains my track car.
Jump to top Smoove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-04-2019, 07:46:29 PM   #44
mrbeverlyhills

United States

Thanks for all the great info chaps. I had every bushing, every fluid line and the whole cooling system replaced at the shop that did the PPI. The Previous owner did the Sdrives and a new set of Konis all round, with OEM springs I am guessing.

I have had good luck with Neovas on the 964, not very long lasting but pretty sticky. I had better luck with Summitomo HTRZ III, which stuck like glue till they corded. Thing is, for the daughters, I really want the car loose, want them to spin and have to work real hard at staying on track. I learned in The UK driving a 2002 tii in torrential downpours, which pass for the British summer. The Art of Racing in the Rain. I had Michelins on the AMG and never managed more than 8k on them, the outside front and inside rears corded early. But it is a big heavy car the E55. Fantastic "dad" car though.

Once we get used to the car we can upgrade it some, I would like to add an X brace too; getting used to it this way will make the upgrades all the more fun-and noticeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181212_095852.jpg (105.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20181212_100125.jpg (120.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20181212_100050.jpg (149.8 KB, 33 views)
Jump to top mrbeverlyhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-04-2019, 08:14:41 PM   #45
westopher

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
KWV2 and less are pretty crap.
You are fake news.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-04-2019, 08:44:01 PM   #46
mrbeverlyhills

United States

I have been all the way down the rabbit hole, drank tea with the Mad Hatter and danced with the Queen of Hearts. I have learned to take the changes slowly and incrementally; it's never really truly finished anyway is it?

There are some guys running $10,000 suspension setups on their 964s that can't get out of their own way on the track and guys in 60s 4 door Alfas running slicks I can't get past. I love the expression "before you spend a dime, tighten the nut behind the wheel".

Everyone has their sweet spot for NVH, if you want to go for a drive with the wife, a full race set up might make her reluctant to come along. No sense in running over a nickel on the road and having her say "that was tails up".
Old Mon, Mar-04-2019, 11:44:36 PM   #47
mrbeverlyhills

United States

In re-reading my last post I may have come off as an arrogant ahole, I am no race car driver, just spent a lot of useless cash on cars that would have been better spent on education. I really appreciate you gents taking the time to clue me in and save me experimenting more than necessary while I learn this car.
Old Tue, Mar-05-2019, 01:15:26 AM   #48
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
Thanks for all the great info chaps. I had every bushing, every fluid line and the whole cooling system replaced at the shop that did the PPI. The Previous owner did the Sdrives and a new set of Konis all round, with OEM springs I am guessing.

I have had good luck with Neovas on the 964, not very long lasting but pretty sticky. I had better luck with Summitomo HTRZ III, which stuck like glue till they corded. Thing is, for the daughters, I really want the car loose, want them to spin and have to work real hard at staying on track. I learned in The UK driving a 2002 tii in torrential downpours, which pass for the British summer. The Art of Racing in the Rain. I had Michelins on the AMG and never managed more than 8k on them, the outside front and inside rears corded early. But it is a big heavy car the E55. Fantastic "dad" car though.

Once we get used to the car we can upgrade it some, I would like to add an X brace too; getting used to it this way will make the upgrades all the more fun-and noticeable.

X-braces tighten up the front end nicely. Check eBay, can be picked up for around $100. Cheap, effective mod.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-05-2019, 08:39:09 PM   #49
JJCTHE1

In the garage:

United States

Welcome to the club, the E36 M3 is definitely one of the best bang for your buck German, manual RWD cars money can buy right now, the hard part is having the patience to track down a nice one in the desired color you seek. It took me over a year to find mine, and it was worth every day of the wait. As you know and mentioned, lots of hoagies out there. Dove interiors, garage builds, stories, salvage, you name it.

The market is subjective when it comes to alot of these boom cars lately, I know Singer has really helped peek enthusiasts interests and BAT certainly brings an interesting twist to the market.

The E36 M3 is still in stealth mode, although creeping up lately over the past couple of years I think because of those patient individuals, they know once "the one" pops up you are going to pay the ask assuming its fair so the next guy doesnt grab it. I know I did and could not be happier.
Old Tue, Mar-05-2019, 08:59:51 PM   #50
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
X-braces tighten up the front end nicely. Check eBay, can be picked up for around $100. Cheap, effective mod.
X-brace is a nice mod.

OP, I have an early version X-brace. One of the straight bars is bent, but I'm sure it can be straightened with heat and a hammer. It's free if you want it, just pay for shipping and packaging.

Edit: Here's a photo. It's the one on the left. You can see the bar closest to the wall is bent.

Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote