BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Apr-13-2019, 12:35:18 AM   #81
jpetro10

United States

Default Re: The 230K E36 M3 Build Thread

Mannn, it's been a while since I've posted an updated...but a lot has happened!

Here she is in her current form:

Since last posting the most obvious update will be the Apex wheels. I was really...REALLY having a hard time choosing which wheels to go with so I settled with Apex. They look great and they're a great price. For the time being I'm stoked with them.

Eventually I'll probably go style 24's...but I have other things to deal with for now, lol.

I just installed Turner motorsport adjustable rear camber arms. It's not the WORST thing to install but it's definitely a pain. If you have a second set of hands it wouldn't be to bad. The inner camber arm bolt on the driver side is the biggest issue out of the entire deal. Overall though, it wasn't that bad and it was needed.

Now I just need to dial in my ride height and get a proper alignment and she'll be sitting pretty!

Next on the agenda is fitting my Pole Position to the E46 seat rails I have and figuring out how to wire it up. It shouldn't be difficult but I've really never done anything with wiring. I'm a 1000% newb, so we'll see. I found this how-to: https://imgur.com/a/DHD0g

After that it's a lot of little things. I'm going to have paintless dent removal done on the little dings/dents that are on this thing. I also bought some touch up paint to touch up a few of the blemishes, then I'll polish them down and make it shine!

Last but not least, my S54 is at Boost Logic I'm super stoked for that.

That'll be going in sometime next month. We're just waiting on the wire harness to be completed. I believe the harness is being made by R3vlimited.

I also picked up a 6 trans that came with the following:

Autosolutions 6 speed shifter with DSSR
3.64 Torsen based rear differential with axles
Euro 6 speed driveshaft
Lightened flywheel and Sachs clutch (low mileage, very low wear)
Clutch pedal/master/slave + stainless line clutch line

I'm thinking about going E85 on the S54 as well. I think E85 and a tune should be able to make a really nice NA build for this car.

Anyways, the next few weeks/months should be exciting...and expensive, lol!

Cheers!
Jump to top jpetro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Apr-13-2019, 04:59:47 AM   #82
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetro10 View Post

Euro 6 speed driveshaft

Stonking.
Old Sun, Apr-14-2019, 02:25:34 AM   #83
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetro10 View Post
Last but not least, my S54 is at Boost Logic I'm super stoked for that.

That'll be going in sometime next month. We're just waiting on the wire harness to be completed. I believe the harness is being made by R3vlimited.

I also picked up a 6 trans that came with the following:

Euro 6 speed driveshaft

I'm thinking about going E85 on the S54 as well. I think E85 and a tune should be able to make a really nice NA build for this car.

Anyways, the next few weeks/months should be exciting...and expensive, lol!

Dude, this is shaping up niiiicely...

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-14-2019, 10:15:55 PM   #84
jpetro10

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
Stonking.
Had to look up what that meant...Agreed (I think). haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Dude, this is shaping up niiiicely...
Thanks man! Perfect timing too because my water pump just went out last night...debating on whether or not it's worth it to replace it. Right now I'm leaning towards having it towed to Boost Logic to hopefully get a head start on the swap!
Old Fri, Apr-19-2019, 04:03:53 PM   #85
jpetro10

United States

RIP to my water pump, lol! I doubt it was the orig but either way, I'm sure it was past its time.

Since the S54 will be going in within a few weeks, I'll probably just wait to fix it when the motor is out of the car.

Also, I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but from what I've found ST (and possibly KW) will have rubbing issues on the fronts so spacers will be needed.

I have 10mm spacers up front and there's a LITTLE extra room. I doubt you could get away with 5mm spacers.

Anyways, that's it for the update.

Currently working on installing my Pole Position to a power E46 seat rail I bought. Let's pray I don't burn the car down since I'm a complete newb to wiring.
Old Sat, Apr-20-2019, 04:12:36 AM   #86
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

What size and offset are the wheels? Spacers are pretty commonplace with these cars. I run 12-15mm all around depending on which wheels are on the car.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-20-2019, 01:08:38 PM   #87
Texaz3

United States

12-15 in the front are pretty much a must on these, especially if you are running wheels with stock offsets.
Old Sat, Apr-20-2019, 01:59:33 PM   #88
jpetro10

United States

I'm running 17x9 ET30 with 245/40/17 squared setup. The rears seem to be fine....after I installed the TMS adjustable camber arms in the rear. I'm running roughly -2* camber in the rear and -3* camber in the front although the fronts didn't seem that aggressive. I've also slightly rolled the rear fenders. I'm not that worried about tire wear since this is my fun/project car.

Once I get the S54 and 6 speed swapped in I'm going to get it aligned and corner balanced. For now I just wanted something that won't rub.

Here's how she sits after getting the ride height semi-dialed in:

Btw, I got it aligned because my toe was WAYYYY off. Come to find out the shop that I had do the alignment after I did the ZHP rack didn't tighten my tie rod ends which is why my toe was so jacked. That could have been bad!
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 03:34:54 PM   #89
jpetro10

United States

While the car sits and waits for the S54, here's the next thing on the list to install.

I was actually shocked at how quickly these showed up. Went to my local BMW dealership on a Thursday evening. After they made copies of my title (registration for TX cars is on the windshield) and my license they submitted the order. These arrived the following Tuesday/Wednesday.

The parts manager was hesitant on how long it would take since BMW shows these as not in stock. Apparently when items require keying they'll show out of stock but are produced quickly (thanks to Braymond for that info). I believe out the door the cost for everything was around $500.

Not the best bang for buck mod but since I've replaced literally every other exterior trim piece on this car (besides window trim)...figured I might as well go all out, lol.

After watching a few how-to vids...I'm NOT looking forward to this install. Looks like majority of people take out the door glass. I've seen a few videos that show the glass can be kept in the door but taken off the rail and tilted forwards. Either way, sounds like a gigantic PITA to me, lol.
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 03:58:53 PM   #90
jpetro10

United States

Ooh yeah, forgot to update about the seat debacle, lol.

I have a Recaro Pole Position that I was trying to mount to an E46 power rail using Brey Krause mounts.

In terms of mounting the brackets to the rails, easy peasy. BK makes a great bracket. In terms of getting the wiring taken care of to power that rail, not so good, lol.

Let me state, in no way is this a hard job for someone with wiring expertise. I however, have none. I think I filled my garage with smoke two times...after that thought it might not be the best thing for me to attempt on my own.

While that was happening, I found a set of Recaro SR3's mounted to E36 rails on Recaro brackets, ready to go. I ended up buying the pair of those to put into the car for the time being.

I love the pole position but one of the things that was bugging me was the fact that I only have one and trying to find a matching seat isn't that easy since the version of the PP I have isn't being made (it has Recaro in small font).

So, long story short, I wound up with a pair of cloth SR3's with blue stitching and blue Recaro, which actually matches the Avus fairly decently!

Now my pet peeve is the fact that the cloth Recaro's don't match the leather back seats, lol!