BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-16-2018, 12:35:46 AM   #1
Dee514

Tibet

Default Input on possible CSL bumper and trunk creation

Some update pics on bumper he is working on:

So I was told this is the first test fit, and was done locally.

Big Thank you to Marc AKA GTfour for taking the time out of his busy schedule to help JC out and fit this on his car.

Hopefully he can chime in on it further as he is one of the very few who has seen it first hand. They said they spent a few minutes fitting it and they talked cars for 2 hours
JC still needs to work on the grill tabs, but the hard part is over.
This i believe is on the kevlar reinforcement.

I was lucky enough to have some parts made for my OE CSL bumper, by JC (the fabricator) .... see here for those who haven't perused the thread :
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597803

I created this thread to keep things clearer re: Bumper and trunk.

He is leaning to making/creating/fabricating a CSL bumper, using the OE unit he has on hand. This isn't an overnight thing, he will take his time, to make right, with tests fits, adjustments etc; so unfortunately if anyone is in a rush for this one, this will not be for you.

His thoughts would be to offer it in full carbon fiber and possibly FRP, to cover both markets.

He would like to know what are your wants/needs/hopes/expectations? He is curious to read (after using google translate )

I'm throwing out some ideas:

Is anyone interested in the dual hole and shaved versions as well?

It will come with the flippers, with the option to upgrade to the 1 piece lip and possibly with a different mounting style if anyone has any ideas/wishes.

Is having the side brackets a must?

Create a shell, much like the VCSL v1 and his customers use their existing bumper support/foam, be it aluminum or kevlar?

Having the inner supports so the guys with the 01-03 can just swap it over?

Is it possible to make a foam support identical to the 2003.5 - 2006 oem bumpers. then all we would need to do is swap over the suction cup area and re-use the existing kevlar bar? (credit DaytonaViolet) Not sure where to source one.

He may also create a carbon fiber version on the trunk. He has an OE unit, but only in only carbon fiber that is vacuum infused. No FRP.

Some comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Definitely tell him to take his time. Fitment like that found on the flippers is what people want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
This is great news! And please tell him to take his time making it as close to 100% copy as factory both in fitment and shape. I’d jump on that quick even with my Sgt already installed. Plus we already know, from another thread that’s active,..that there’s a huge demand for these bumpers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I'm guessing the answer would be "no" since he'd be basing it off the OE bumper... but if it's at all possible to make one that can use the factory kevlar carrier, I think there's a lot of us who'd be interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
yes, THIS! Something people have been wanting for a long time that hasn't been available.

Though, needs to have the exterior molded off the CSL bumper, not the M3 bumper, to keep the chubby chipmunk cheeks at bay.
Quote:
Shiieeet, keeping Kevlar would be nice for csl bumper but I already got the conversion done lol. I vote go 100% csl bumper exterior and interior, or better yet both versions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle90 View Post
I would personally prefer the oem csl mounting solution, and would think it is much easier to just replicate the oem csl bumper. I am a bit biased though since I already have all of the components to make use of the bumper shocks. I think there are a decent number of us that got screwed over by streamline and basically out of decent options at this point.
Quote:
There has to be a reason why all good csl bumper replicas utilizes the factory csl mounting. Vorsteiner and SGT (to an extent) uses original csl hardware.

The ones that allows the use of Kevlar bar (ebay reps) have chipmunk cheeks lol. Maybe creating an exact replica of csl bumper requires exact copy front and back. Even factory standard bumpers have slight chipmunk cheeks. Original csl bumper has very sharp sides that are very different from factory bumpers.
Quote:
Is there anyone besides streamline using the CSL mounting system? I was under the impression that most are using the alu carrier.
Quote:
I don't know of a single rep that uses the Kevlar bar. Most use the aluminum bar.
Quote:
Ahh that’s what I meant (sorry not too familiar with fitting these bumpers).

My main point was that the oem csl bumper has a much different shape than factory m3 bumpers. Unless you can fit the original csl bumper with the aluminum bar, the backing of the original csl must contribute to its shape? Does making the backside of the csl bumper similar to standard make the csl bumper a bit more rounded similar to standard? Hope that makes sense. I just want csl bumper, like 100% identical in terms of looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
Well back in the days Vorsteiner V2. The VCSL v1 did not. I believe with my v1 the previous owner has the bumper installed utilizing the Kevlar bar instead of the aluminum carrier.

In my head streamline, vorst v2 and SGT all use it (csl mounting style). That would be most of the market? Not sure what the plastic reps use though.
Quote:
Streamline does not use the factory Kevlar carrier-- they build their own bumper structure inside the bumper, which is also what BMW did on the CSL.
Quote:
I believe you are confused on what I am trying to say. Or I am confused on what you said in the previous post. I was saying that the streamline sgt and vorstiner v2 all used csl like mounting system. Only v1 did not and can use the aluminum or Kevlar bar.
Quote:
Yeah but I agree it would be cool to have a different option on the market. Not sure how hard it is to develop though. I’m sure people would just be happy with a properly fitting OE CSL rep period.
Quote:
Theoretically a full carbon bumper that uses the kevlar carrier has the potential to be the lightest possible setup. I'm not super focused on my car's weight like a lot of others, but I think it'd still be a good option if it's feasible
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
i agree. that's why vorsteiner's V1 csl bumper had no internal carrier. it gave you the option to 1) glue in your foam support and use kevlar or 2) glue in your aluminum carrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
make a foam support identical to the 2003.5 - 2006 oem bumpers. then all we would need to do is swap over the suction cup area and re-use the existing kevlar bar

Some examples of his work:

Thanks in advance guys

-derek

Last edited by Dee514; Fri, Apr-12-2019 at 06:05:25 PM.
Jump to top Dee514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 01:36:18 AM   #2
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Input on possible CSL bumper and trunk creation

As long as fitment is better than streamline’s..

A well-fitting CSL bumper is what I’ve been waiting for, so hopefully that can be done. I can wait.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 01:38:54 AM   #3
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Shaved CSL bumper, trunk lid, and rear diffuser all in 2x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 02:06:59 AM   #4
///M Dream
Real Madrid C.F.

In the garage:

United States

I think as long as he creates a properly fitting CSL bumper it will be a home run for this community. What we lack is not only options for a good bumper, but even if good options come to light consistency in production seems to be lacking.

That being said, personally I think most members here would prefer a OEM CSL style front bumper, haven't seen many with shaved options. Option for splitter would be welcome as many community members in past have seemed that option.

So far I like what I've seen from your friend in the other thread. Not only is he taking his time on creating a proper product, but he is seeking opinions on how to improve whatever product comes down the line. Whenever he decides to start working on this, put me down for one, and I will gladly help with testing in anyway possible.

Current: 2006 Interlagos Blue ZCP ///M3
Past: F80 M3. E46 330i ZHP. B8 S4. E92 M3. E46 M3.
Jump to top ///M Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 02:16:40 AM   #5
Paulo M

United States

Well you already know what I want lol. CSL bumper as close to the real thing as possible, in every way. And thanks again for doing this for the M community, we really need good quality CSL replica options.
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 03:02:34 AM   #6
m3isalan

United States

If we could use our existing support/foam, that'd be huge. Would definitely be in for a standard style CSL bumper with 1-piece lip if that were the case. Also would buy the CSL trunk if fitment was on point.
Jump to top m3isalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 03:36:33 AM   #7
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

I would be interested in a foam support, single or dual hole bumper with tow hook hole. Basically a CSL replica but for the kevlar/foam mount.

Last edited by Ramp1; Wed, May-16-2018 at 12:10:51 PM.
Jump to top Ramp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 04:52:29 AM   #8
gabylonfive
g-day

In the garage:

United States

I’d be in for a bumper and trunk as well. His work looks great!

--
[OE CSL] [Karbonius] [Supersprint] [Dinan] [Bimmerworld] [Rays Engineering]
[Kassel Performance] [AKG Motorsport] [CSF Radiators] [SPAL] [Turner Motorsport]
[ApexRaceParts] [Rogue Engineering] [Ground Control] [Redish Motorsport] [AutoSolutions]
---
[KEEPER] - 2004 6MT M3 [Alpine White // Cinnamon]
[DAILY] - 2016 Porsche Cayenne S [e-Hybrid]
[TRACK] - 2001 Spec E46 [#75]
[TRACK] - 2005 Lotus Elise [#3]
ig -- @gabylonfive
Jump to top gabylonfive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 06:42:44 AM   #9
Goldysingh

United States

I'd be interested on the csl bumper, would you be willing to work with shipping to the UK?
I could possibly arrange a group buy.
Jump to top Goldysingh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-16-2018, 08:53:56 AM   #10
SlickmisterN
Surrounded By Grapes

Greece

Im in!
Jump to top SlickmisterN is online now   Reply With Quote