BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mon, Apr-30-2012, 10:23:40 PM   #21
///NNM
Registered User
 
///NNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,574
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 ///NNM is on a distinguished road
Location: Raleigh

Russian Federation




Default Re: DIY e46 M3 Engine Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NNM View Post
when you are lifting the engine, you are risking to break the heater hoses... or pull some other cables.
lowering the subframe is much better route IMHO.
i set the engine on engine holder and lowered subframe, replaced mounts and put subframe back - 1 hour job and i didn't take anything else off.
use this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...bar-96524.html

hint: taking off wheels will remove much tension from the control arms, so when you lower the subframe, it will be free from the force of gravity of the wheels pressing the control arms up into the subframe. simply put, take off the wheels.

fyi: you WILL need ALIGNMENT if you move any suspension parts, which you will do while moving the subframe.

i got lifetime alignment, so i didn't care about that.
__________________

YouTube DIY Videos Race Car: '03 M3 Coupe
Jump to top ///NNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-11-2012, 05:10:56 AM   #22
05_r6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Reputation: 0 05_r6 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: DIY e46 M3 Engine Mounts

So you can replace subframe mounts out too then? Hell, prolly be good just to do them all while your down there.
Jump to top 05_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 03:01:45 AM   #23
skelzy
Great White
 
skelzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,196
Reputation: 0 skelzy is on a distinguished road
Location: Long Island, NY





Default

So reinstalling mounts and Bentley shows three different torque values for the M12 subframe bolt. It's the bottom value (subframe to body). Which grade is our bolt?? That is a large range of values and I don't want to strip anything... Anyone know?



Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
__________________

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED

Last edited by skelzy; Fri, Jul-13-2012 at 03:13:09 AM.
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 04:34:40 AM   #24
skelzy
Great White
 
skelzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,196
Reputation: 0 skelzy is on a distinguished road
Location: Long Island, NY





Default

Anyone????


Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
__________________

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 12:35:31 PM   #25
skelzy
Great White
 
skelzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,196
Reputation: 0 skelzy is on a distinguished road
Location: Long Island, NY





Default Re: DIY e46 M3 Engine Mounts

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say they upgraded the bolt over time and the last one shown (12.9 grade) is the newest so I'm using the 77 ft/lbs torque.... It's in the middle of those torque values anyway....
__________________

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 01:10:50 PM   #26
mpower22
CPV O-Ring Guy
 
mpower22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Age: 37
Posts: 3,638
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mpower22 is on a distinguished road
Location: Maryland

United States




Default Re: DIY e46 M3 Engine Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say they upgraded the bolt over time and the last one shown (12.9 grade) is the newest so I'm using the 77 ft/lbs torque.... It's in the middle of those torque values anyway....
Sorry no one's gotten back to you on this. I've seen the posts hitting, I've just been moving around a lot the past few days. The 12.9 isn't an "upgraded" bolt per se, these different grades of steel are used specific to their application. Typically bolts of this strength have the grade stamped right on the head of the bolt. Have you checked that? I'm pretty sure the subframe reinforcement plate bolts have it, but I can't recall about the subframe bolts themselves even after I just reinstalled my CSL headers just a few months ago. Those bolts are AT LEAST a 10.9, they may be a 12.9... Again, just check the bolt head. Either way, for a bolt such as this you're only looking at a 4lb difference in the torque.. not really that critical of an issue. Just set it in between if you can't find out and you'll be good to go. Hell, most people on here don't even use a torque wrench for the plate bolts, although I do.
__________________
///M3 - Dream Car: Acquired 11/18/02
15-Year Forum Member

2003 M3Laguna Seca Blue/6MT/Black Leather Cloth Interior/[CSL] Exhaust
Original Owner, Custom Built - PDC, Moonroof, Bi-xenons (TFX), Brushed Aluminum Trim, Bluetooth ULF
European - Rotors (F&R), Bumper, Mirrors, Warning Triangle, Console, LSZ, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher
OE LED Conversion/Outer Ring Mod | V1 Hardwired/Ashtray Display | 3M 35% Tint | Intravee II, Diamond H600s, JL 10W3v3, HD900/5
Jump to top mpower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 02:05:09 PM   #27
skelzy
Great White
 
skelzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,196
Reputation: 0 skelzy is on a distinguished road
Location: Long Island, NY





Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower22 View Post
Sorry no one's gotten back to you on this. I've seen the posts hitting, I've just been moving around a lot the past few days. The 12.9 isn't an "upgraded" bolt per se, these different grades of steel are used specific to their application. Typically bolts of this strength have the grade stamped right on the head of the bolt. Have you checked that? I'm pretty sure the subframe reinforcement plate bolts have it, but I can't recall about the subframe bolts themselves even after I just reinstalled my CSL headers just a few months ago. Those bolts are AT LEAST a 10.9, they may be a 12.9... Again, just check the bolt head. Either way, for a bolt such as this you're only looking at a 4lb difference in the torque.. not really that critical of an issue. Just set it in between if you can't find out and you'll be good to go. Hell, most people on here don't even use a torque wrench for the plate bolts, although I do.
Your the man You were right, 10.9 stamped right on head of bolt. Duh, how did I miss that? Thanks so much for the feedback...


Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
__________________

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED

Last edited by skelzy; Fri, Jul-13-2012 at 02:24:05 PM.
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-13-2012, 10:20:45 PM   #28
duracellttu
I think fast, I talk fast and I drive fast...
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,858
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 duracellttu is on a distinguished road
Location: Las Vegas

United States




Default Re: DIY e46 M3 Engine Mounts

Thanks for the write up, I'm about to do this install this weekend with the bimmerworld performance engine mounts.

One question about jacking up the engine for the mount swap. Are you not at risk of damaging anything in the transmission or drive shaft when you lift the engine? is there that much play in that line to not do any damage?

Also, any recommended torque specs for the engine mounts?
__________________

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black Built not bought. All DIY!
Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Jump to top duracellttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2013, 01:45:11 AM   #29
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob
 
bmwJohhnyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 49
Posts: 13,435
Reputation: 0 bmwJohhnyD has disabled reputation
Location: New York #7/Fedic

United Nations




Default Re: DIY e46 M3 Engine Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracellttu View Post
Thanks for the write up, I'm about to do this install this weekend with the bimmerworld performance engine mounts.

One question about jacking up the engine for the mount swap. Are you not at risk of damaging anything in the transmission or drive shaft when you lift the engine? is there that much play in that line to not do any damage?

Also, any recommended torque specs for the engine mounts?
bump for good questions!!
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2013, 01:53:25 AM   #30
¿safxtacy!
Who are we?
 
¿safxtacy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,340
Reputation: 0 ¿safxtacy! is on a distinguished road
Location: Dallas

Pakistan




Default

No the drive shaft will flex enough. When I did mine however I had to loosen the transmission brace a little.
__________________



“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Jump to top ¿safxtacy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing DIY e46 M3 Engine Mounts in the Faults, Fixes and DIY Forum - Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix! at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)