BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Mon, Apr-30-2012, 10:23:40 PM   #21
///NNM

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Default Re: DIY e46 M3 Engine Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NNM View Post
when you are lifting the engine, you are risking to break the heater hoses... or pull some other cables.
lowering the subframe is much better route IMHO.
i set the engine on engine holder and lowered subframe, replaced mounts and put subframe back - 1 hour job and i didn't take anything else off.
use this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...bar-96524.html

hint: taking off wheels will remove much tension from the control arms, so when you lower the subframe, it will be free from the force of gravity of the wheels pressing the control arms up into the subframe. simply put, take off the wheels.

fyi: you WILL need ALIGNMENT if you move any suspension parts, which you will do while moving the subframe.

i got lifetime alignment, so i didn't care about that.

YouTube DIY Videos Race Car: '03 M3 Coupe
Jump to top ///NNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-11-2012, 05:10:56 AM   #22
05_r6

United States

So you can replace subframe mounts out too then? Hell, prolly be good just to do them all while your down there.
Jump to top 05_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 03:01:45 AM   #23
skelzy
Great White

So reinstalling mounts and Bentley shows three different torque values for the M12 subframe bolt. It's the bottom value (subframe to body). Which grade is our bolt?? That is a large range of values and I don't want to strip anything... Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED

Last edited by skelzy; Fri, Jul-13-2012 at 03:13:09 AM.
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 04:34:40 AM   #24
skelzy
Great White

Anyone????

Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 12:35:31 PM   #25
skelzy
Great White

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say they upgraded the bolt over time and the last one shown (12.9 grade) is the newest so I'm using the 77 ft/lbs torque.... It's in the middle of those torque values anyway....

Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 01:10:50 PM   #26
mpower22
CPV O-Ring Guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say they upgraded the bolt over time and the last one shown (12.9 grade) is the newest so I'm using the 77 ft/lbs torque.... It's in the middle of those torque values anyway....
Sorry no one's gotten back to you on this. I've seen the posts hitting, I've just been moving around a lot the past few days. The 12.9 isn't an "upgraded" bolt per se, these different grades of steel are used specific to their application. Typically bolts of this strength have the grade stamped right on the head of the bolt. Have you checked that? I'm pretty sure the subframe reinforcement plate bolts have it, but I can't recall about the subframe bolts themselves even after I just reinstalled my CSL headers just a few months ago. Those bolts are AT LEAST a 10.9, they may be a 12.9... Again, just check the bolt head. Either way, for a bolt such as this you're only looking at a 4lb difference in the torque.. not really that critical of an issue. Just set it in between if you can't find out and you'll be good to go. Hell, most people on here don't even use a torque wrench for the plate bolts, although I do.

2003 M3Laguna Seca Blue/6MT/Black Leather Cloth Interior/[CSL] Exhaust
Original Owner, Custom Built - PDC, Moonroof, Bi-xenons (TFX), Brushed Aluminum Trim, Bluetooth ULF
European - Rotors (F&R), Bumper, Mirrors, Warning Triangle, Console, LSZ, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher
OE LED Conversion/Outer Ring Mod | V1 Hardwired/Ashtray Display | 3M 35% Tint | Intravee II, Diamond H600s, JL 10W3v3, HD900/5
Jump to top mpower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2012, 02:05:09 PM   #27
skelzy
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower22 View Post
Sorry no one's gotten back to you on this. I've seen the posts hitting, I've just been moving around a lot the past few days. The 12.9 isn't an "upgraded" bolt per se, these different grades of steel are used specific to their application. Typically bolts of this strength have the grade stamped right on the head of the bolt. Have you checked that? I'm pretty sure the subframe reinforcement plate bolts have it, but I can't recall about the subframe bolts themselves even after I just reinstalled my CSL headers just a few months ago. Those bolts are AT LEAST a 10.9, they may be a 12.9... Again, just check the bolt head. Either way, for a bolt such as this you're only looking at a 4lb difference in the torque.. not really that critical of an issue. Just set it in between if you can't find out and you'll be good to go. Hell, most people on here don't even use a torque wrench for the plate bolts, although I do.
Your the man You were right, 10.9 stamped right on head of bolt. Duh, how did I miss that? Thanks so much for the feedback...

Last edited by skelzy; Fri, Jul-13-2012 at 02:24:05 PM.
Old Mon, Aug-13-2012, 10:20:45 PM   #28
duracellttu
I think fast, I talk fast and I drive fast...

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the write up, I'm about to do this install this weekend with the bimmerworld performance engine mounts.

One question about jacking up the engine for the mount swap. Are you not at risk of damaging anything in the transmission or drive shaft when you lift the engine? is there that much play in that line to not do any damage?

Also, any recommended torque specs for the engine mounts?

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black Built not bought. All DIY!
Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Jump to top duracellttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2013, 01:45:11 AM   #29
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracellttu View Post
Thanks for the write up, I'm about to do this install this weekend with the bimmerworld performance engine mounts.

One question about jacking up the engine for the mount swap. Are you not at risk of damaging anything in the transmission or drive shaft when you lift the engine? is there that much play in that line to not do any damage?

Also, any recommended torque specs for the engine mounts?
bump for good questions!!
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2013, 01:53:25 AM   #30
¿safxtacy!
Who are we?

Pakistan

No the drive shaft will flex enough. When I did mine however I had to loosen the transmission brace a little.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Jump to top ¿safxtacy! is offline   Reply With Quote