BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Wed, May-09-2018, 01:34:04 AM   #1
sixthspeed

United States

Default Cruise Control GPS Installed/ecuworx Shift Lights/GM5 Issue (SMG-6MT Conversion)

I'm encountering a couple issues after my SMG to 6MT conversion. Main issue: cruise control is not holding (cruise control dash light comes on with 1/0 button, but will not hold speed after pressing +). Secondary issue, maybe related, I used ecuworx to enable SMG shift lights in my final .bin that I flashed but those don't seem to be working. This may all be related to a GM5 coding error I got (see below) but I'm still learning coding so I can't say for sure.

Here's what I've done so far and issues I ran into:
  1. Installed GPS and wired according to MP675's DIY here (pretty confident I followed the post correctly but will check again if there are no obvious mistakes from my coding)
  2. Cleared all DME errors and adaptations using INPA
  3. Used ecuworx to change transmission to Manual (and added shift lights and a few other options) & BMWflash to read/flash DME
  4. Using NCSExpert, removed $793 from the VO in AKMB and ALSZ modules then wrote the new VO back to the AKMB and ALSZ modules.
  5. Using NCSExpert, tried to code entire car from VO but coding failed at GM5 module with this error:

COAPI-2060: Codierung fehlerhaft (allgemein) ZKE5, C_C_AUFTRAG: ERROR_ECU_REJECTED_WRITE
    COAPI-2060: Codierung fehlerhaft (allgemein) SG_CODIEREN

All other modules seem to have coded successfully. Same error comes up when I try to individually code GM5. Thought I needed to update Daten files and updated to 60.1 from bimmergeeks.net, but error remained. I looked at some of the functions of GM5 using NCSDummy and nothing jumps out to me that needs to be changed after an SMG-6MT conversion. However, from geargrndr's post here, he listed it as one of the modules to code.
  6. Started car, scanned for errors using INPA, no errors found, and everything else (dash, drivability) seems to check out fine.

If this info is relevant, I'm using INPA 5.0.6, NCSExpert 4.0.1, Ediabas 7.3.0. All OEM parts used in the conversion (including M3 clutch switch) was ordered from getbmwparts from part numbers so I assume I have the correct clutch switch. I'm considering rewiring to bypass the GPS and recode accordingly. I'd appreciate any insight.
Jump to top sixthspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 03:01:13 AM   #2
nextelbuddy1

United States

Default Re: Cruise Control GPS Installed/ecuworx Shift Lights/GM5 Issue (SMG-6MT Conversion)

Your shift lights will not work until the gear position sensor issue is worked out.

I myself had the same exact issue except in my case I just have an s54 swap in my zhp sedan. I never wired up the gear position sensor in my case and so the shift lights would never work even though they were enable in the bin file.

I end up having to code out the gear position sensor for my bin file using a hex editor. This is one thing I wish Martin would updating this tool to allow will be a wonderful thing for people doing smg to 6 speed conversions.

And also I just did an s54 swap into a wagon last month and the s54 swap I got came from an SMG car. We did the bellhousing conversion in that car and did all the wiring and I even followed the gear position sensor and cruise control wiring just like in that thread that you mentioned but nothing worked. So again I had to code out the gear position sensor in that bin file to get everything working fine.
Old Wed, May-09-2018, 11:38:01 AM   #3
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Default Re: Cruise Control GPS Installed/ecuworx Shift Lights/GM5 Issue (SMG-6MT Conversion)

Nice dude, sounds like you got the process sorted. Glad to see a new thread! I would agree, now you've done all the basics right (I was hoping that we hadn't heard back cuz you were all sorted out and that "no news was good news"...), but seems like you have a couple problems...

First, on the GM, the rejected-write error can come because the module is different than what the software expects? Is there any chance your GM was swapped for a non-stock one at some point in the past? The VO/FA tells the software what module versions to expect, if somebody tossed an earlier GM in there as a replacement, then it won't be what the VO/FA says that it should be and can cause fiddly coding issues... You can go into INPA and to an "Ident" on the ZKE/GM5, see what the coding index is, then see if the index that shows up on the screen in NCSExpert ("GM.Cxx" or whatever) matches that.

If you need to code the GM, you may find it works as long as you use manual coding and a MAN file... read it first (ensures you get a compatible TRC file to start with), then make the NCSDummy changes, then CODE. Just a 'Code' bypasses the read-first part, because it assumes the module has the expected coding index / format / options that the VO/FA says it should.

Whether you need that in the manual conversion... hmmm.. perhaps not I'll have to look back over the list.

There was something. If may only have to do with PDC and reverse-detection for that?

On to the GPS...

Yeah, the deal is, that's only used really for cruise (lotta work just to tell cruise the car is in neutral). The 'coding out' is possible because the Z3M cars didn't use the GPS, so you can flip the option that they have. I guess Martyn hasn't added that but he's a standup dude and loves to enhance his tool with anything that's relatively straightforward that people want, I wouldn't be surprised if you contacted him if he wouldn't add that to the software.

That said... it should work perfectly fine, if its wired up right.

The GPS basically sits in-between the clutch-switch and the DME. So the clutch switch 'output' goes to the GPS, then comes back to the DME. This also suggests maybe if you bypass the GPS and just have the clutch switch just directly wired to the DME pin, it might work, because the DME wouldn't have any way to discern between 'clutch in' and 'gear in neutral' - they both should 'look' the same to the DME..?

However, often there is a 'logical plausibility' test in the modules, and if they don't see various signals flipping back and forth they'll poop. Like in this case, seeing the 'neutral/clutch' signal OFF when the car is idling / sitting still - the DME would see a roadspeed of zero but the engine is turning for instance - it might toss an error hissy fit. Probably would now that I think of it. "How can the car be in gear and engine running but we aren't moving!? Error error!".

Not sure what you did to wire the GPS, but the best way to wire it up is to reuse the tranny temp connector from the SMG harness (a 2-wire connector should be right there), then in the E-box put one side onto the DME pin, and send the other side into the pedals to the clutch switch.

There are also 2 varieties of clutch switch - early mechanical switch and later 'chip type' hall sensors, so the pinouts and switches look completely different down at the pedals.

If you PM me an email I can send you the wiring diagrams if you like (if you don't have them already).

HTH...
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-10-2018, 11:28:09 PM   #4
sixthspeed

United States

Yeah I've been pretty busy lately so didn't have time to reply to your posts, though they were very helpful and made me realize how fresh I am with how NCS works.

It's possible the GM could've been swapped since I'm not the original owner. I'll try checking the coding index for GM5 and report back.

As far as wiring the GPS to the temp connector, now that I think back, it's very possible to have the connectors flipped 180 after slicing off the tab on the GPS side. I can go under and try plugging in 180, but it might be easier to wire the clutch switch directly to DME to bypass the GPS altogether and do the hex edit, assuming the hex edit is simple (seems simple from what I've read so far).
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 12:41:11 AM   #5
sixthspeed

United States

In case anyone has this same issue, I wired to bypass GPS and hexedited the bin, cruise control works flawless now along with everything else related to the swap. However, shift lights are still not working. I will try to PM Martyn about it. Thanks guys
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 12:46:45 AM   #6
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthspeed View Post
In case anyone has this same issue, I wired to bypass GPS and hexedited the bin, cruise control works flawless now along with everything else related to the swap. However, shift lights are still not working. I will try to PM Martyn about it. Thanks guys
How did you do the bypass?
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 01:50:31 PM   #7
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
How did you do the bypass?
yea id be interested to hear this too. when Terra helped me the first time with my shift light probllem i swore I was getting it right in the hex and said it still wasnt working for me until i figured that i had an HP dme and was trying to edit hex values in an address for a NON HP dme.

tell Terra what DME you have, and the version. the version is in Martyns tool when you load your BIN.
Old Mon, May-28-2018, 06:54:44 PM   #8
sixthspeed

United States

I wired clutch switch directly to DME and changed these 3 values in my bin using a hex editor:

1) Set K_SKRAFTS_CONTROL to 02 (0x802A on the MSS54HP)

2) Set K_S_GANG_LL_ED to 0xFFFF (0x5952 on 2001/2701)

3) Set K_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS to 0xA0. (0x88A2 on 2701 (MSS54HP)).
Old Mon, Jun-18-2018, 04:52:00 AM   #9
Giohb777

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthspeed View Post
I wired clutch switch directly to DME and changed these 3 values in my bin using a hex editor:

1) Set K_SKRAFTS_CONTROL to 02 (0x802A on the MSS54HP)

2) Set K_S_GANG_LL_ED to 0xFFFF (0x5952 on 2001/2701)

3) Set K_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS to 0xA0. (0x88A2 on 2701 (MSS54HP)).
And your shift lights are now working without a GPS ?
Can the following be done if the clutch switch isn't installed aswell?
Jump to top Giohb777 is offline   Reply With Quote