BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 01:18:28 AM   #71
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: problem with dme shut down after s54 swap...need help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apps View Post
No chance that coding of normal dsc parameters would change the behavior?
Worth a shot, but I don't think there'll be a difference
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 12:22:24 AM   #72
Apps

United States

Ok so e46 330xi 2004 bosch 5.7 allowed the dme to shutdown! All CAN DTC's did not reappear after driving 5 min and I had a speedo signal - which makes me think CAN is connected correctly.

However, ...I did have the trifecta brake, abs, and center cluster warning lights. Cruise didn't seem to work, though the "on" switch engaged the icon on the cluster (probably indicates nothing...). I only went 35mph so if cruise won't engage that low then maybe I need another test.

I did check wds and found only 1 pin different in the pinout. Pin 30 right rear wheel speed + supply on the e39 was moved to pin 14 on the e46 xi if I'm not mistaken. All others appear to be cross over? I did move this pin to the e46 location, no change in behavior.

Otherwise there were pins listed on e46 used for HDC and there were pins listed on e39 for beam throw...but I don't have either.

I guess I need to find somewhere to read dsc/abs codes as I don't think my standard obd2 reader will suffice.

Thoughts?
Jump to top Apps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 02:35:51 AM   #73
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Might be worth recoding a bit. Hopefully simply disabling HDC and coding it for a manual would do the trick.

Error codes could be helpful too.

Last edited by terraphantm; Wed, Jun-27-2018 at 02:46:01 AM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 01:59:15 PM   #74
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

I'm tempted to say could be a wheel-speed sensor issue, since the cars use different ones, however, since you have roadspeed then thats probably OK.

Cruise not working is probably triggered by the trifecta and just being disabled whenever there's a major ABS fault.

With luck the Trifecta is generated by the coding things as mentioned.

While it seems like the ABS program from the 325 is fixing the shutdown-issue, the 325 DSC calibration won't be ideal for the E39 chassis certainly. There's a list of understeer/oversteer detection/correction parameters in the software that are presumably tied to the actual physical dynamics of the vehicle and should be correct for the actual physical chassis. I would probably try to hack-retro-code the E39 values into the 325 unit if at all possible.
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 02:45:24 PM   #75
Apps

United States

Forgive my ignorance...I've focused mainly on understanding the dme...is NCSExpert the right way to go about setting these parameters?

Also geargrndr - how would I go about this hack? Again something that can be done using NCSExpert or do I need some other method?

On the wheel speed side the sensors are different but I believe them both to be of the 2 wire Hall type and thus the output should be pretty similar even if the sensors are different.
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 03:12:46 PM   #76
geargrndr

United States

Yeah, as I say, if you have roadspeed then I'm hoping you're OK with those sensors.

If you go into NCSDummy you can see all the params for that module. Just taking a quick look, what I'd forgotten is that we are NOT talking MK60 DSC which has a lot of parameters... For the 5.7, there's only one real master parameter it seems...

Comparing DSC5_7.C10 for the E39, with DSC5_7.C13 or C16 or C17 for the E46 (I don't know what coding index your E46 module is)...

The only real DSC impacting coding value you have is "CODIERWERT_DSC5.7" and it looks like the value for an I6-based E39 manual should be "wert_12" aka data "0x0C". Wert_12 is also listed for the E46 module and is also = "0x0C"...

The sticky wicket is that the Auto/Manual indications (in the "Options" data in NCSDummy which tell you which-equipment that value pertains to...) are not the same between the 2 modules. On the E46 wert_12 / 0x0C is for non-US automatic AWD cars (aka should be what your module is set to now...already)

So it may be that "0C" is interpreted differently by the program on a .C13 or .C16 etc. E46 module vs the .C10 module for an E39... and indeed there's some other config data we can't 'see' or edit to compare the two...

Or maybe I'm wrong and the DSC configuration is ultra simplistic and indeed the unit is NOT calibrated that closely for the engine/chassis configurations. That'd surprise me, having seen a difference when choosing the S62 parameters for my own E39 car, but perhaps indeed its just a simpler system than I thought...

Recently Former...

Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 10:58:44 PM   #77
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrndr View Post
Yeah, as I say, if you have roadspeed then I'm hoping you're OK with those sensors.

If you go into NCSDummy you can see all the params for that module. Just taking a quick look, what I'd forgotten is that we are NOT talking MK60 DSC which has a lot of parameters... For the 5.7, there's only one real master parameter it seems...

Comparing DSC5_7.C10 for the E39, with DSC5_7.C13 or C16 or C17 for the E46 (I don't know what coding index your E46 module is)...

The only real DSC impacting coding value you have is "CODIERWERT_DSC5.7" and it looks like the value for an I6-based E39 manual should be "wert_12" aka data "0x0C". Wert_12 is also listed for the E46 module and is also = "0x0C"...

The sticky wicket is that the Auto/Manual indications (in the "Options" data in NCSDummy which tell you which-equipment that value pertains to...) are not the same between the 2 modules. On the E46 wert_12 / 0x0C is for non-US automatic AWD cars (aka should be what your module is set to now...already)

So it may be that "0C" is interpreted differently by the program on a .C13 or .C16 etc. E46 module vs the .C10 module for an E39... and indeed there's some other config data we can't 'see' or edit to compare the two...

Or maybe I'm wrong and the DSC configuration is ultra simplistic and indeed the unit is NOT calibrated that closely for the engine/chassis configurations. That'd surprise me, having seen a difference when choosing the S62 parameters for my own E39 car, but perhaps indeed its just a simpler system than I thought...
Unfortunately there are different maps/curves tied to those values in the DSC. I suspect 0xC on the C10 module isn't the same as 0xC on the C16/17/19 or whatever. Probably the closest match in terms of weight and torque will be whatever the values are set to for a manual 330xd touring.

In an ideal world we'd be able to dump the real flash from the DSC modules, identify the maps/curves that handle everything, and port those over to the newer program. But all those ICs are proprietary and probably ROMs rather than EEPROMs.
Old Thu, Jun-28-2018, 03:12:23 PM   #78
geargrndr

United States

Yeah... as soon as I saw same-values listed for radically different chassis, I thought the same...

Recently Former...

Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 12:41:42 AM   #79
Apps

United States

Ok, so 8 hours of attempted connection to the car and no success with NCS. I have installed and uninstalled so many times I lost count.

To reduce the confusion I even used a desktop circa 2000 with windows xp loaded and dragged that out to the car several times.

First I had the typical autoexec.nt errors which I was able to rectify, then I had errors with NCS communicating to the car (grabbing the VIN etc). I get to chassis identification hit ok and then:

COAPI-2000: EDIABAS or SGBD error
IFH-0003: DATATRANSMISSION TO INTERFACE DISTURBED

Perhaps I haven't found the right USB port....I have 8...didn't try them all

For the record this software seems extremely unstable...but perhaps it's just me.
Old Mon, Jul-02-2018, 01:43:48 AM   #80
geargrndr

United States

Nawwww. It's not unstable... But if the cable or cable drivers aren't working then you get all those COAPI errors. Get basic INPA working fine first so you can read basic module info. Then switch to NCS. If still problems then your data files aren't installed properly.

However the title of this thread is not "Apps personal EDIABAS setup helpdesk" so prob a different thread would be good if you want more help w that (and I'm happy to help w that kinda stuff, just on this topic of "my EDIABAS no works!!", every other jackass always threadjacks his pooter problems into some unrelated thread... It gets tired...)

Recently Former...