BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 01:20:24 AM   #1
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Default Review: ECS/Turner Shark Injector V2.0 Performance Software

Back in April '18 Turner reached out to me and asked if I'd be willing to test out a new tune they developed for their Shark Injector program, provided I'd be willing to share my thoughts with them. Now that the tune has been commercially released, and I've been driving on it since May '18, they asked if I could write a review for the forum. At no point did I make an agreement as to whether I'd provide a positive or negative review. I'll be doing my best to remain unbiased here, but I wanted to be upfront about how I received the tune in the first place. I'm also far from an expert on tuning, just an enthusiast who likes to do a little bit of tinkering with my favorite platform from time to time. Immediately prior to this tune I was running OEM software, and before that I had a Dinan tune on the car (a tune I really wasn't a fan of).

What is it?
A Shark Injector-based tune that is largely plug-and-play. You can find more details on the ECS page, but the basic idea is to improve throttle response and make a little extra power.

How much of a PITA is the install?
One of the appeals of any Shark Injector tune is that just about anyone can DIY the install. You plug it into the OBD2 port, press a button, watch a little light flash and several minutes later you're running a tune.

That said, I had two small frustrations with the install - first, you need to keep the car on a battery charger while the installation occurs. The instructions realllllly stress this point, so much so that you'd think you would be triggering the apocalypse if you didn't keep the car on a charger (more likely you'd just brick your DME, I'm guessing). To be clear this is not a battery tender we're talking about here, it actually needs to be charging 12v constantly - this can be a bit of a challenge for those who don't have a well stocked garage. Second, the flashing light you need to watch is on the bottom of the injector so you need to place some kind of mirror on the floormat in order to keep an eye on it (the door needs to remain closed during the process). Granted you won't be doing anything other than watching the flashing light to see if anything goes wrong, but it's still a bit of an inconvenience.

In my case everything went smoothly, once I managed to track down a mirror that happened to be the exact size as the driver's footwell, that is.

What's in like to drive?
I hadn't heard many good things about the original Shark Injector tune for our cars, but tuning has come a long way since then. The contact I was speaking with at Turner regarding the V2.0 tune seemed very enthusiastic and was an E46 M3 owner himself, which helped convince me to give this a try in the first place.

Driving on the street I found the most noticeable difference to be in the throttle response department, particularly down low. The car feels more “alive” than before, but not in an obnoxious way like the factory sport mode where everything is very jerky. I was told the throttle maps weren't touched for fear of making the car jerky, they just worked on responsiveness. All in all I feel the car is slightly more fun to drive at street speeds, I found myself looking for more excuses to accelerate and pass other cars on the highway.

A few weeks after installing the tune I was fortunate enough to get out on the track. In one day I managed just over 100 minutes of hard driving in ambient temps up to 90F and happy to say I didn’t experience any issues with the tune - oil & coolant temps stayed where they should, everything continued to function properly, no CELs etc. At that point it had been a little over a month since I was last on track so it was far from a back-to-back comparison with the OEM tune, however my butt dyno told me the car was pulling noticeably harder all the way to redline. Unfortunately I don't have any proper dyno results to back this up; Turner/ECS has some (very positive) numbers on their page but I'm always suspect of vendor numbers - hopefully someone else can do a before/after dyno of their own one day.

Is it worth it?

That's between you and your wallet. For the pricepoint I don't think there are many mods out there that will get you the same bang for your buck, performance and drivability-wise, as a tune, at least not on the E46 platform. Comparing this tune to my old Dinan tune is simply night and day difference, the car feels so much better with the Turner/ECS V2.0 tune.

I'll be moving to a CSL airbox setup in the not too distant future so I'll have to replace the tune with something else at that point, until then I'll continue to enjoy the car with the improvements I've seen since I plugged this little black box into my OBD2 port.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 01:48:34 AM   #2
ftapache

United States

Default Re: Review: ECS/Turner Shark Injector V2.0 Performance Software

Nice review. Very thorough. So what happens if you plug this in without constant 12V? Would your DME be like toast.
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 03:47:02 AM   #3
rbmwiv

United States

Yes you can brick your dme but probably won’t if you have a good battery and have everything off in the car. I have flashed quite a few tunes without a battery charger. But only when using something like bmw flash that writes a tune in under a minute. But any time I am using ista-p to program something I put a charger on it because it takes the factory software 15 minuets to do it. I have never done a shark injector if it takes under 3 minuets I wouldn’t worry about a charger unless your battery was bad. Also before you ever do it without a battery charger check your battery voltage and if it’s over 12v your good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top rbmwiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 05:46:14 AM   #4
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Anytime I hear shark injector, brings back horrible memories, threads of dyno results actually showing loss of power, etc. Not sure on this v2.

If you are enjoying it, kudos, but I'm not sure what the value is when you can get several proven tunes for much better price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 06:00:22 AM   #5
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

So would you need a whole new “box” or can I update my current one?
Jump to top Joshe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 07:00:00 AM   #6
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Good effort on this review..but tbh, unless there's a before and after dyno, the "pulling harder" part might as well be placebo or changes to throttle response maps I'm a fan of ECS but you need objective data for something like this.
I would've liked if they had included fuel and cam options in their V2 device..now that would be worth it..Plug it in, run e85 on track, then reflash for 93 on the drive home..or get a new set of cams and it would flash a proven tune in minutes, now that would be something..otherwise I would just go for a Paul Claude tune(no affiliation).
Having said that, I'm never a fan of canned tunes. You need to tune your car on a dyno, while watching ur AFRs and how your car responds to changes in timing/vanos/afr. Only then you're "tuning in" for more power..Every car is different. Your static compression affects timing advance, your injector state affects AFRs, your ambient variables(humidity, atmospheric pressure, elevation etc..) affect your tune profoundly. Your intake and exhaust setups also affect your tune..You can't go about blindly adding these effectively to a canned tune and expecting it to successfully work,without some kind of feedback loop,which is why ppl tune on the dyno.While tuning you make a change that you suspect will make a positive difference, and dial it in or out, depending on the output.
Canned tunes, leave a lot on the table to account for that margin of "Error" in tuning judgement...
Cheers

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 02:25:07 PM   #7
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshe46 View Post
So would you need a whole new “box” or can I update my current one?
Not sure what you mean by box, like you already have a Shark Injector? If so I guess you could contact Turner/ECS and ask if they could load new software for you. If you're referring to DME you don't need a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Good effort on this review..but tbh, unless there's a before and after dyno, the "pulling harder" part might as well be placebo or changes to throttle response maps I'm a fan of ECS but you need objective data for something like this.
I would've liked if they had included fuel and cam options in their V2 device..now that would be worth it..Plug it in, run e85 on track, then reflash for 93 on the drive home..or get a new set of cams and it would flash a proven tune in minutes, now that would be something..otherwise I would just go for a Paul Claude tune(no affiliation).
Having said that, I'm never a fan of canned tunes. You need to tune your car on a dyno, while watching ur AFRs and how your car responds to changes in timing/vanos/afr. Only then you're "tuning in" for more power..Every car is different. Your static compression affects timing advance, your injector state affects AFRs, your ambient variables(humidity, atmospheric pressure, elevation etc..) affect your tune profoundly. Your intake and exhaust setups also affect your tune..You can't go about blindly adding these effectively to a canned tune and expecting it to successfully work,without some kind of feedback loop,which is why ppl tune on the dyno.While tuning you make a change that you suspect will make a positive difference, and dial it in or out, depending on the output.
Canned tunes, leave a lot on the table to account for that margin of "Error" in tuning judgement...
Cheers
Agree with everything here, my review is entirely anecdotal - I have no real data on any of it, just sharing my thoughts. I should have mentioned in the original post but my car is stock as far as power mods go, no intake, exhaust etc. Supposedly Turner/ECS is going to add tune options for those with headers later, not sure about cams.

Having a proper tuner set things up on a dyno is definitely the best way to maximize power, this is no replacement for that.

Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 02:36:22 PM   #8
rbmwiv

United States

The MSS5x binary modification tool is around 20-25$ for the license to do one car. Allows some smg tuning also engine tuning. You can modify the throttle map rev limiter remove the top speed limiter and much more. You just need a k d can cable and bmw flash which is free and off you go just check boxes and adjust sliders very simple. I just thought I would let you guys know about it and what it does. Also if you have a tune already you are able to preserve it and just adjust what you want. Also it will do the alpha-n tune and eliminate or code out all your emissions. For example cat less no codes headers without a temp sensor code out aux air pump etc check it out.

Jump to top rbmwiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 02:42:34 PM   #9
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Not sure what you mean by box, like you already have a Shark Injector? If so I guess you could contact Turner/ECS and ask if they could load new software for you. If you're referring to DME you don't need a new one.

Agree with everything here, my review is entirely anecdotal - I have no real data on any of it, just sharing my thoughts. I should have mentioned in the original post but my car is stock as far as power mods go, no intake, exhaust etc. Supposedly Turner/ECS is going to add tune options for those with headers later, not sure about cams.

Having a proper tuner set things up on a dyno is definitely the best way to maximize power, this is no replacement for that.

Yes Im referring to the shark injector itself. You called it a black box in the original post!!
Jump to top Joshe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 02:47:40 PM   #10
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmwiv View Post
The MSS5x binary modification tool is around 20-25$ for the license to do one car. Allows some smg tuning also engine tuning. You can modify the throttle map rev limiter remove the top speed limiter and much more. You just need a k d can cable and bmw flash which is free and off you go just check boxes and adjust sliders very simple. I just thought I would let you guys know about it and what it does. Also if you have a tune already you are able to preserve it and just adjust what you want. Also it will do the alpha-n tune and eliminate or code out all your emissions. For example cat less no codes headers without a temp sensor code out aux air pump etc check it out.

Can you easily change other car features like auto-lock at 15mph, universal window roll down and triple-blink turn signals with this tool? The last one in particular is a feature I'd like to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshe46 View Post
Yes Im referring to the shark injector itself. You called it a black box in the original post!!
oh right. You'd have to check with ECS/Turner on that, maybe they'd be willing to do it for a lower cost than buying the tune new.