BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E30 M3 (1986-1991)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E30 M3 (1986-1991) {Euro 86-892.3L: 200hp @ 6750} {1990 2.3L Evo2/Cecotto/Ravaglia: 220/215/215hp @ 6750}
{1991 2.5L Sport Evo: 238 @ 7000} {US -- 88-91 2.3L: 196hp @ 6750, 170tq @ 4750}
Total produced: 5,280 US, ~13,300 Europe/world

Old Mon, Dec-02-2019, 05:24:59 AM   #1
qwkslvrnsx

United States

Default Third time's a charm, I hope!

Time to wake up this section!

Greetings fellas! I've been away from the forum for a little while. I seem to pour my heart & soul into a particular interest, I research the hell out of it, I source, acquire, modify then I get bored and move on. It's a cycle... I guess I have OCD, followed by ADD- I'm a little nuts

e30 #1, this thing was a show car! I sold it for a $5K loss during the 2008 subprime recession :thumbs down: In hindsight, my mortgage was never upside down, oh well!

IMG_4743 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

e30 #2: This one was all original, low miles, 1 other owner, mint. I sold it in 2015 during the height of the e30 craze, when it's valuation was outperforming gold, LOL! I more than made up for the loss of #1 :hatter:

DSCN1842 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

I regretted this sale immediately, but I couldn't turn down the money at the time! I never thought I would be in the position to afford & acquire another e30 M3 again... but I got lucky and I guess this was meant to be. BTW, this car completes my all Alpinweiss "real" M3 collection: e30, 36, 46, 92.

I'm not a hardcore mechanic and my occupation doesn't leave me a whole lot of time to do some of the intense "builds" that I see on this forum. I have a BMW tech buddy who takes care of that aspect. Rather, I am pretty resourceful in finding the right platform for the right price and I enjoy refreshing mildly neglected M3's to a condition that I can appreciate and enjoy. I'm a little OCD, not quite like Braymond, LOL, but I do go over each of my cars pretty thoroughly, repairing or replacing any missing/ worn trim, nut, bolt, clip, accessory, etc... I always have a aesthetic vision and getting the car there is the "thrill of the chase" for me!

Without further adieu... e30 #3:

The morning after she was delivered. Paint on this one is near perfect and the rubber work is in very good shape. All of the jams are clean, rust-free. Mechanically, the s14 is original and feels robust, but it'll need an Inspection II service and refresh of cooling system and brakes. In my typical fashion, I had already sourced and had parts waiting...

I didn't care for the Style 5's that the seller was running, so he removed those and kindly slapped on an atrocious set of basketweaves, at least they're original to the car. Maybe I"ll get them refinished someday!

IMG_4246 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4247 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4267 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

There was a break in the cold weather after work and just enough daylight for me to give it a hand wash and visual inspection, not too shabby!

IMG_4251 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4266 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4264 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4258 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4257 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4256 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4255 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4254 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Immediately, I noticed that it's missing the M3 grill emblem, has the ugly US spec tow hook covers, has a front license plate bracket, missing its pinstripping all-around. My last e30 was pristine and OEM+. My vision for this car is to make her a minty DRIVER example- so any vintage patina I can live with will stay. I won't stray far from OEM+, but I also want a slightly more aggressive, period correct canyon-carver aesthetic for this build. So I've decided to go w/ 16's to fill the wells w/ more rubber.

IMG_4327 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Bye-bye plate bracket & US tow hook covers!

IMG_4328 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4341 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

As much as I want to document my progress, sometimes I work quickly and just get so wrapped up that I forget to take pics along the way So you'll see a lot of "fast-forward" pics, like this one... Euro-spec tow hook covers (temporarily vinyl wrapped until I get to the paint shop), EVO red pinstripping, brand new gloss black grill & M3 emblem mounted (gratuitous shot of my e46!)

IMG_4373 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Getting back to that "canyon-carver" driver look, I sourced minty BBS RX 223- these are e30 M3 specific, I'm not crazy about the bronze, but I did mention I wanted a more aggressive look than my last e30, so these will work fine

IMG_4326 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4269 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
31A15FF2-7CD7-4592-BB95-F160F2123B31 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

So these wheels came w/ conservative fitment tires (205/50). I'll be wrapping them with some proper 225/45 (Evo spec) Toyo Proxes soon. The offset is perfect for this car at et15, so I won't be running spacers. I have also ordered classic H&R Race springs/ Bilstein Sport struts combo. Because these cars have higher front well arches, there is an optical illusion of reverse rake. Since I can't dial-in height (not running coilers), to give me another 10-15mm of front drop, I'll be adding e90 drophats & thinner 3mm upper spring perch pads. The final stance should look street racer, not boulevard pimp :hatter:

Burning the mid-night oil pinstripping into the wee hours...

IMG_4372 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

This decal that the PO had was kinda cool I guess, it's a commemorative 20th anniversary decal given to some hardcore s14.net members a decade ago. Maybe if it was smaller I'd keep it, but it's huge and it also reminds me of those gold crown car air fresheners that were popular in the 90's So it had to come off in favor of more subtle personal touches...

IMG_4260 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4344 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Another personal touch...

IMG_4342 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4343 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Spent another day detailing the interior and reviving the leather. I think my routine comes courtesy of Braymond, a Simple Green wipe down, followed by Gliptone scrub, then conditioner. Since it's cold, I felt the products would be more effective on warm leather, so I stuck a space heater in there haha (or at least it kept me warm)! You can see a little seam-split left rear bottom seat cushion, I'll have an upholstery shop re-stitch that. Other than that, the leather has held up reasonably well for being 30 years old. I think as a driver-grade car, I'm not going to bother with new leather upholstery.

IMG_4405 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4396 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

I steamed cleaned the factory carpet before slapping in brand new custom "Motorsport" floor mats. These are e30 specific and best alternative to the NLA OEM e30 M3 mats :thumbs down:

Oh, this pic reminds me, the original one-piece shifter knob/ boot was well-worn, so I sourced an e30 specific boot-only + my fave knob for all of my M3's- the ZHP weighted knob. Also took advantage of Black Friday and I have a Renown Monaco Motorsport steering wheel incoming, which will be thicker, smaller and will have a red center stripe, M tri-color stitching and BMW horn button- it'll look & feel more aggressive, while being tastefully BMW M specific & period correct IMO. If you look close, you can see that the steering column kick-panel has buckled and there is actually a crack you can't see underneath- I've ordered a brand new panel. Again, gotta get these part before they become NLA!

IMG_4397 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

More personal touches... I sourced a hard-to-find Euro plate filler panel. Frankly, I don't really get the idea of covering a metal body panel w/ a plastic one, but i guess it looks cool b/c it's "different" from US spec. They're rare, so I figured it's best to snag these types of parts first, get rid of later!

IMG_4374 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

I also steamed cleaned the trunk. Detailed the plastic jack & battery covers- they were really faded, so I used "Back-to-Black" spray to restore them. I also replaced anything that was missing: a 17mm lug wrench, the round plastic cap that covers the spare tire hold-down bolt (prevents the bolt from poking thru the carpet), clips for the battery cover. I found the battery vent tube disconnected. I found the tube tucked under the battery tray, but the heat and weight had flattend/melted/sealed the tube. I ordered universal rubber windshield washer fluid tubing to replace the battery vent tube. I guess you can say I'm anal, LOL!

I'll post more pics soon...

Last edited by qwkslvrnsx; Tue, Dec-03-2019 at 04:25:57 AM.
Jump to top qwkslvrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-02-2019, 01:47:47 PM   #2
pauliecarzz

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Third time's a charm, I hope!

Nice work.. Love the red stripe vs black, Might swap mine out after seeing these pics.
Jump to top pauliecarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-02-2019, 11:13:16 PM   #3
westopher

Canada

You already know how much I love it, but I'll tell you anyways. I ****ing need to buy one of these.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-03-2019, 03:43:15 AM   #4
bmwahba39

United States

already looks amazing. excited to see more. definitely the best color for the e30 imo

Jump to top bmwahba39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-03-2019, 04:03:02 AM   #5
qwkslvrnsx

United States

Thanks fellas! More work to be done when it stops raining! This morning, I ordered direct from Germany an EVO II front undertray, CF lip, EVO III wing w/ CF gurney flap. I already had CF Gruppe A mirrors in wait. Also found another plate filler panel, but in CF- I love me some CF ; )

4E57413F-8AF9-4BAE-8CAE-1A7BBA2077C0 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Another detail, I am fabricating some Hella light covers out of 1/8" lexan, just for cool factor!

IMG_4392 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4401 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_4402 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Last edited by qwkslvrnsx; Tue, Dec-03-2019 at 04:18:19 AM.
Old Tue, Dec-03-2019, 05:48:21 PM   #6
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Any pics with the H&R race on the car?

Iíve been debating which way to go on my alpine e30 m3 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue, Dec-03-2019, 08:08:16 PM   #7
qwkslvrnsx

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
Any pics with the H&R race on the car?

I’ve been debating which way to go on my alpine e30 m3 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This particular one is still on H&R Sport springs installed by P.O., is close to stock height. I haven't gotten to the suspension on this build yet, however, my last e30 (below) had the H&R Race/ Bilstein set-up + e90 drop hats. IMO, perfect look & ride, here it is on my previous e30 (wheels are 17x8 et 20, tires 235/40):

IMG_2259 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr
IMG_2257 by edwardduangrat, on Flickr

Last edited by qwkslvrnsx; Tue, Dec-03-2019 at 08:39:46 PM.
Old Tue, Dec-03-2019, 10:46:10 PM   #8
pauliecarzz

In the garage:

United States

Like all the Evo installs you have plans on doing and the carbon Fibre mirrors are a nice touch But Not feeling those Hella eyelids.. IMO wouldn't do it
Old Wed, Dec-04-2019, 12:48:35 AM   #9
qwkslvrnsx

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliecarzz View Post
Like all the Evo installs you have plans on doing and the carbon Fibre mirrors are a nice touch But Not feeling those Hella eyelids.. IMO wouldn't do it
So the impetus is due to the high beams lens being very hazy. Right now, I'm too lazing to purchase & swap them out for a new set. The covers cost me like $25 in materials to make and it's just for fun. They come right off so no harm...
Old Wed, Dec-04-2019, 01:26:23 AM   #10
pauliecarzz

In the garage:

United States

the LM's are my favorite for the E30's! I have em on both my cars