BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Mar-06-2018, 12:44:04 PM   #21
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Spring/Summer M3 Convertible - What to mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearl555 View Post
Any recommendations for headlights? I just assumed based on nothing that the oe xenons were hard to beat!
Clear projector lenses and good bulbs go a long way to improve the stock headlights. Beyond that you can upgrade the projectors, but that's a much more invasive mod.
Old Tue, Mar-06-2018, 01:57:08 PM   #22
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by amglol View Post
Ok, so I omitted that when I said I had done all possible maintenance last year. I have not, as of yet, dug into the bushings or suspension. I'm going to guess that most parts are original, given the little creaks here and there. Driving/handling isn't bothersome, so I don't think I have any parts that are completely worn out, but I'm sure once I get in there some items will be close to their end of life.

I'm ok with stock ride height. I'm ok with slightly lower than that as well. The car won't ever see the track, or if it does it'll be for a "street skills" event and not actual racing.
I'd suggest....
New stock FCABs
New stock front control arms
New oe upper and lower out control arm bearings
Monoball RTABs-- Dinan if they're in the budget, Fall Line if they're not
New OE RSMs
Koni Yellows-- perhaps the top adjustable TCK Koni yellows in rear, if you think you'll have it on track

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-06-2018, 01:59:38 PM   #23
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearl555 View Post
Any recommendations for headlights? I just assumed based on nothing that the oe xenons were hard to beat!
It really depends how deep down that rabbit hole you want to go. Everything is reasonably cheap if you're DIYing, but some of the projects get pretty involved.

New housing lenses, good aftermarket projectors, modern bulbs and/or 50w ballasts/igniters in a reasonable color temp (<4600k) makes a preposterous amount of light output, that is not more blinding to others than stock (when you're in low beams).

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Old Tue, Mar-06-2018, 03:07:24 PM   #24
bmw m3 s50
Why So Serious ? :}

Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'd suggest....
New stock FCABs
New OE RSMs
Koni Yellows-- perhaps the top adjustable TCK Koni yellows in rear, if you think you'll have it on track
Ian, Whats the difference between the Monoball RTABs-- Dinan and Fall Line?
Jump to top bmw m3 s50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-06-2018, 04:12:53 PM   #25
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post
Ian, Whats the difference between the Monoball RTABs-- Dinan and Fall Line?
Dinan uses a sealed monoball, so it should hold up better to dirt/time.

Old Tue, Mar-06-2018, 05:50:13 PM   #26
ultimatemj

United States

Surprised there is no stereo discussion...

The stock sound is so bad...

The stock car drives so nice, after ensuring maintenance was up to date, it was the first "mod" for me

After that, tires and wheels can make a big difference in ride and looks~
Jump to top ultimatemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-06-2018, 06:05:48 PM   #27
maw1124

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Not too interested in lowering for aesthetics, you're right on that. The stance is already pretty solid as it sits. I guess my decision is really whether I want a tuneable setup for more control when I'm just driving around town, taking the kids for a fun ride or on a club tour where I'd want a bit stiffer setup.

SMG tune might be weird on my 6MT (unless that's a normal thing that I've never read about). What are everyone's thoughts on the Shark software, though? If it's not worth it, is there another easy plug and play tune?

For the rasp eliminator, I'm honestly conflicted. I like the rasp, and it's the only reason that I can't say outright that the e9X has the best exhaust note of the M3 family... I've listened to some comparisons on YouTube, but I'm not sold as of now.
I missed the 6MT, so scratch the SMG tune. I went with an OETuning tune. I'm happy, more midrange, the car is not so much a torque-less wonder anymore. If you're willing to drive it in the 4k+RPM range (6MT), maybe that doesn't matter so much.

My stock shocks were "fine" to me, up until they weren't (seepage, not feel). New ones made me feel like an idiot -- it's an M car after all. Suddenly it felt like one, for real this time. I'm sure they did other stuff while in there, but I don't have the receipt handy. So I'd probably start by getting back to stock, if you like the ride height. I personally think the chassis has the right amount of play. Too stiff is just too stiff, unless you track the car. I'm not the one for a "track look and feel" in a street car. This is a top down, 4seat cruiser for me -- just slightly more athletic than the average bear. I have another car that wears adjustable Koni Yellows up front, and while I've adjusted them stiffer, I can't tell you it made a huge difference. Point of reference though, that car was set up by RennTech for track use for a prior owner (lowered, cambered rear, with heim links), which I'm tempted to revert to stock. It's just needlessly harsh out back.

As for audio, I went BavSound speakers (all mid-bass + sub and sub amp), then because of pixelation in the stock unit, a Dynavin head unit with the cabin speakers running on a 4x55 amp. This was 7 years ago. The BavSound I would do over, the Dynavin I'm not so sure. The stock head unit is antiquated to be sure, but with the BavSound it sounded OK. Either way, the stock speakers ALL have to go. Today, there are better head units available (despite a lack of consensus, if you want a stock look, which I like with the convertible). I often don't bother to put the top up. I think this all comes down to whether you like modern streaming services and what not. I just plug in an iPod and keep it moving. It's a 4th car, so I don't drive it enough to go down that rabbit hole. I'm just answering the question because someone asked. Mine looks completely stock, but sounds anything but, which is exactly the stealth I was going for. But by far, the best thing about that setup was... the sound deadening in the floors and doors -- with the top up, the car was a headache from the engine noise. Top down, it sounds wondrous.

GL,

maw

Last edited by maw1124; Tue, Mar-06-2018 at 06:28:54 PM.
Jump to top maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-06-2018, 06:11:20 PM   #28
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemj View Post
tires and wheels can make a big difference in ride and looks~
That's a good point. Some light weight 18" wheels and some good tires are the two best performance mods you can do for the car, and without trade off. Get some 18" BBS RG-Rs and PS4Ss, and the car will be improved in acceleration, braking, handling, and ride quality.

Old Sun, Mar-11-2018, 02:35:05 PM   #29
amglol

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'd suggest....
New stock FCABs
New OE RSMs
I ordered everything here except for the outer control arm bearings and Koni's. Still looking around a bit.

I also got (sort of) my Michelin PS4Ss installed. They ordered the wrong size for the fronts, so I'm going back in Monday to get the those mounted. Huge difference there already, though.
Handling/Suspension: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - 245/275 | Koni Yellow
Interior/Audio: EONON G7150A | Euro Console | F10 M5 Shift Knob
Exterior/Body:

Previous M Cars
/// 2011 E90 M3 :: Alpine White :: Novillo Black / Carbon Leather :: Competition :: Premium :: Convenience :: MDCT :: EPS [Sold 2013]
Jump to top amglol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-11-2018, 05:01:18 PM   #30
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
I ordered everything here except for the outer control arm bearings and Koni's. Still looking around a bit.

I also got (sort of) my Michelin PS4Ss installed. They ordered the wrong size for the fronts, so I'm going back in Monday to get the those mounted. Huge difference there already, though.
That's a great list. A fresh stock-ish setup with PSX tires is PLENTY for virtually any type of street driving with no adverse side effects. Plus, I would high recommend against a stiffer spring/shock/coilover setup for a convertible as the harshness will be exacerbated. Note - this is not a knock against 'verts, just pointing out that the 'vert chassis won't be able to absorb (as well) higher loads presented by an aggressive suspension, thus resulting in a less pleasant in-cabin experience (which is what the 'vert is all about).

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote