BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 06:18:55 PM   #41
Nicholas1996

Greece

Default Re: King Racing Bearings

On another note. Acl makes two bearings that they say are std size. But HX says .001 of more oil clearance. Isn't that .001 more between the crank journal and the bearing?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
AEM Infinity
Tuned by Ian @Bend Calibration

Last edited by Nicholas1996; Thu, Feb-09-2017 at 01:15:02 AM.
Jump to top Nicholas1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Feb-18-2017, 07:45:18 PM   #42
MyGuitar
Casserole Recipes

Croatia

I just had King's installed on my car. They were treated before install.
The shop I worked with (have been working with them for a long time) uses them in their's and their customer's street and race cars, and they have not had any failures or significant issues.

They are new so I can't speak on durability, but I am reasonably comfortable with them. I was able to take a look at the old OE bearings when I picked up the car and the damage on one of them was astonishing. It wasn't just scratched from top to bottom like what we see with normal wear, it was chipping off into bits all over and looked like the topographical map of Iceland.

The car is at 99k miles, it has never been driven too hard or tracked - yet the bearings didn't make it to 100k. This was enough to keep me away from another set of OE, I can't see King's being worse than what my OE bearings looked like.
We'll see in another 100k miles I guess.
Old Sat, Feb-18-2017, 09:57:29 PM   #43
AndrewLang
Lang Racing Development

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuitar View Post
The shop I worked with (have been working with them for a long time) uses them in their's and their customer's street and race cars, and they have not had any failures or significant issues.

They are new so I can't speak on durability, but I am reasonably comfortable with them. I was able to take a look at the old OE bearings when I picked up the car and the damage on one of them was astonishing. It wasn't just scratched from top to bottom like what we see with normal wear, it was chipping off into bits all over and looked like the topographical map of Iceland.

The car is at 99k miles, it has never been driven too hard or tracked - yet the bearings didn't make it to 100k. This was enough to keep me away from another set of OE, I can't see King's being worse than what my OE bearings looked like.
What bearing clearance did your installer measure when he put these in? Was this part of an engine rebuild or just a rod bearing replacement service?

Store | Facebook | Blog
Jump to top AndrewLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 06:31:18 PM   #44
MyGuitar
Casserole Recipes

Croatia

I'll have to get the spec sheets, I didn't take them, but i will talk to them today and get the info if you're interested.
This was a replacement service, my engine started making a ticking noise in late November, oddly after a failed ignition coil, and rod bearings were found to be the culprit.
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 06:36:59 PM   #45
AndrewLang
Lang Racing Development

United States

Quote:
I'll have to get the spec sheets, I didn't take them, but i will talk to them today and get the info if you're interested.
This was a replacement service, my engine started making a ticking noise in late November, oddly after a failed ignition coil, and rod bearings were found to be the culprit.
You're saying your piston was tapping on the cylinder head from a spun bearing and a shop just replaced the rod bearings? Usually when that is done I see people with a hole in the block in 2k miles. Hard to have a spun bearing that doesn't damage the crankshaft or rod.

Store | Facebook | Blog

Last edited by AndrewLang; Mon, Feb-20-2017 at 06:38:31 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
Jump to top AndrewLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 07:14:59 PM   #46
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLang View Post
Hard to have a spun bearing that doesn't damage the crankshaft or rod.

This, unfortunately is very true!
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 09:12:53 PM   #47
MyGuitar
Casserole Recipes

Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLang View Post
You're saying your piston was tapping on the cylinder head from a spun bearing and a shop just replaced the rod bearings? Usually when that is done I see people with a hole in the block in 2k miles. Hard to have a spun bearing that doesn't damage the crankshaft or rod.
No, there was no spun bearing or piston tapping. It wasn't *that* noise (thankfully).

There was a slight ticking noise at 2500-3500 RPM which we tried to identify, suspecting the timing chain, chain tensioner, vanos, and a host of other things before BMW was able to figure it out. They identified another noise from the rod bearing via stethoscope which we weren't hearing by ear since it wasn't that loud on its own. If I am recalling it exactly how they explained, the "main" noise we heard was coming from the vanos but it was caused by reduced oil pressure due to wear on one of the bearings which forced the vanos to "scavenge" for oil, making it rattle a bit.

I looked through the old bearings, the one from cylinder #3 had excessive wear and it was certainly on its way out, but luckily it hadn't completely failed yet.

Sounds perfect now, with no ticking or any vanos noise.
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 10:08:02 PM   #48
schoonerm3

Ireland

Quote:
No, there was no spun bearing or piston tapping. It wasn't *that* noise (thankfully).

There was a slight ticking noise at 2500-3500 RPM which we tried to identify, suspecting the timing chain, chain tensioner, vanos, and a host of other things before BMW was able to figure it out. They identified another noise from the rod bearing via stethoscope which we weren't hearing by ear since it wasn't that loud on its own. If I am recalling it exactly how they explained, the "main" noise we heard was coming from the vanos but it was caused by reduced oil pressure due to wear on one of the bearings which forced the vanos to "scavenge" for oil, making it rattle a bit.

I looked through the old bearings, the one from cylinder #3 had excessive wear and it was certainly on its way out, but luckily it hadn't completely failed yet.

Sounds perfect now, with no ticking or any vanos noise.
I cannot get my head around this sentence just seems illogical.

"If I am recalling it exactly how they explained, the "main" noise we heard was coming from the vanos but it was caused by reduced oil pressure due to wear on one of the bearings which forced the vanos to "scavenge" for oil, making it rattle a bit."
Jump to top schoonerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 10:16:28 PM   #49
MyGuitar
Casserole Recipes

Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerm3 View Post
I cannot get my head around this sentence just seems illogical.

"If I am recalling it exactly how they explained, the "main" noise we heard was coming from the vanos but it was caused by reduced oil pressure due to wear on one of the bearings which forced the vanos to "scavenge" for oil, making it rattle a bit."
Right? That's as they explained it, although it does seem plausible since bearing clearances are partially responsible for oil pressure. Less oil pressure = more work to get oil to vanos? That's how I understood it.
The noise was most prominent at startup, then at 2500-3500 RPM.
Old Tue, Feb-21-2017, 02:42:08 AM   #50
Nicholas1996

Greece

Quote:

Where were you able to buy them? I noticed on ebay they are all from Lithuania and I am kinda scared of not receiving them.
AEM Infinity
Tuned by Ian @Bend Calibration
Jump to top Nicholas1996 is offline   Reply With Quote