BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 07:37:03 PM   #21
oleg232000
e46AllDay

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Best Daily Driver Suspension?

Yeah the Konis/Eibach setup seems best in terms of price, height and reliability. Its that or the DINAN/JRZ setup.

If buying used, assuming the individual selling them more or less didnt destroy the car everyday, whats the limit as too how many miles is too many?

For lets say the two setups I listed above? 20k miles? 30k miles?
Jump to top oleg232000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 07:39:59 PM   #22
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleg232000 View Post
Boys boys, what is happening right now

I just wanted to know what is an individuals opinion on daily driving suspension setup for preferably under $1000.

Both opinions are appreciated. I believe the BC setup would be a bit aggressive, then again they are only $995 for a fully adjustable coilover.

My question to Steve M3, why is this your 3rd set?
The BC's are crap-- people who think otherwise haven't driven on a good suspension (or even a healthy stock suspension). I have yet to drive a chinese or taiwanese suspension that isn't worse than stock, and that's before longevity is factored in.

If you're in the <$1000 price bracket, Koni yellows with stock springs is an awesome setup. If you must lower the car, the Eibachs or Dinan are only marginally worse that stock, cosmetically appealing, and still in the budget you're shooting for. I wouldn't go with any springs lower than the eibachs/dinans without buying parts that'll also increase your bump travel (but that'll push you out of your budget).

I'm running Ohlins on my M3, ran TCKs on the M3, run Koni/eibachs on the e91, ran quad adjustable remote reservoir motons/JRZs on the e36 race car, and am running konis/stock springs on the M5, so I've experienced pretty much the full range of non crap suspensions... and Koni's/stock spring are top notch.

If you can wait for the yearly koni sale, they're cheap, too!

If you're keeping the car for a while, it' worth buying new for the lifetime Koni warranty, imo. I had one of my TCK Konis replaced for free at 128,000 miles

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Wed, Aug-10-2016 at 08:17:24 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 07:41:47 PM   #23
Cha5en
Banned

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
I didn't say they had to use them, I just said they were an option that I've used successfully on multiple platform for DD and weekend fun cars. The OP can buy what they choose but it's a shame to see people slander products they have no experience with because of what they have read online.

They are made in Taiwan, not China, if you care. There are plenty of products made in China that people here seem to love though, go figure.

You're assumption is incorrect, not only have I driven on these kits, the BC's included, but I've installed a handful of them, always regrettably. They have a few manufacturing flaws, they usually clunk from the camber plates, the camber plate bolts sheer, the spring collars up front fail, the sway bar links fail, the springs are not correctly paired to the damping rate (mass produced damping adjustment not correctly spec'd for the e46 weight/wheel motion ratio) ect.

They come back with a clunk and over lowered car and want a new kit installed. I won't even get into "it's from Taiwan not China so it must be great" debate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 07:46:49 PM   #24
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha5en View Post
You're assumption is incorrect, not only have I driven on these kits, the BC's included, but I've installed a handful of them, always regrettably. They have a few manufacturing flaws, they usually clunk from the camber plates, the camber plate bolts sheer, the spring collars up front fail, the sway bar links fail, the springs are not correctly paired to the damping rate (mass produced damping adjustment not correctly spec'd for the e46 weight/wheel motion ratio) ect.

They come back with a clunk and over lowered car and want a new kit installed. I won't even get into "it's from Taiwan not China so it must be great" debate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok then, think what you want. Funny I've never had these issues you mention. Either way, good luck to the OP with whatever they decide to buy.
Jump to top Steve M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 08:05:22 PM   #25
e4604

United States

I like my koni and Dinan springs, I had st coil overs before that, didn't like them one bit, it did everything very crappily..
Jump to top e4604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 08:09:15 PM   #26
oleg232000
e46AllDay

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4604 View Post
I like my koni and Dinan springs, I had st coil overs before that, didn't like them one bit, it did everything very crappily..
How much did the Dinan springs lower the car?
Jump to top oleg232000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 08:20:18 PM   #27
e4604

United States

Quote:
lowers your car by 5/8" in the front and a 1/4" in the rear while providing greater control over body roll.
Which sounds about right, there appears to be slight rake with their springs too, be that as it may, I have it almost on the softest setting, just because my 3 yo daughter rides with me ocasionally. It rides real nice
Jump to top e4604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 08:54:34 PM   #28
EnVe46

In the garage:

United States

Its always funny reading threads like this on every forum for many different vehicles. Suspension is for the most part, subjective. 80% of us dont need or know enough about suspension to justify 3k+ on properly dampened spring/shock combo's. That said, pretty much any time Ive tried to "save" on suspension, it cost me more in the long run on several different vehicles. The Koni/Eibach or H&R set up is what Ill be going with for that reason. For less than 1k you're getting quality. Dont know of my Daily Drivers who need to adjust ride height every month, qtr or even yearly. If you have the money, sure drop 3k+ to have a near perfect set up, just know you're going to be adjusting constantly.

Side note, I searched for over a month to see if any aftermarket company for springs and shocks have paired together to create a system designed to work together, perfectly and no one has. Other than coils. Kinda surprising, my Jeep had Fox shocks that were custom valved to match the spring rates I had and weight due to bumpers, tire carriers etc... Would be nice to have Koni and Eibach/H&R pair up
Jump to top EnVe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 09:29:22 PM   #29
furrry

United States

Anyone who's had koni/eibach also have experience with bilstein hd/h&R or eibach? I've seen conflicting info and was set on bilstein HD but the adjustability of Koni is interesting in case the car ever makes it to the track.
Jump to top furrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-10-2016, 10:23:29 PM   #30
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrry View Post
Anyone who's had koni/eibach also have experience with bilstein hd/h&R or eibach? I've seen conflicting info and was set on bilstein HD but the adjustability of Koni is interesting in case the car ever makes it to the track.
A stock bilstein with stock strut hats and any sort of lowering spring is not a good setup.

Parts that increase bump travel, and a bilstein can be a solid option-- harsher ride, but better handling that the koni.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote