BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Mar-12-2018, 04:19:28 PM   #261
Kcalhoun27

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Best Daily Driver Suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
Oem are ok.

Ok thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Kcalhoun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-12-2018, 08:33:42 PM   #262
J-ReaL

In the garage:

United States

Thanks to the poster who shared the Koni link with the rebate, checked that out it's happening until the end of May which is awesome I'm definitely gonna pick up a set before that's over.

This looks legit as well they have an option that includes a set of eibachs with it for $928, which was a few dollars cheaper than when I added the two kits together in cart on ECS, plus the rebate. Shipping to me in Socal from ECS was estimating around $170 while direct from Koni estimated less than $50.

M3 Coupe & Vert (complete kit) $1,600 list - $928 Koni online + rebate:
http://koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmeric...=183&mk=6&mt=1

"Complete car-set kits consisting of KONl high performance, adjustable Sport shocks, struts and precisely fitting Eibach lowering springs."

Haha I like the way they put that "precisely fitting" gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Especially that Koni has decided for me, making this an easy decision between Eibach, H&R or some of the other good options discussed here previously. Because honestly in reading all the pages of this thread I was still very torn lol, was leaning towards Eibach, but H&R was still firmly stuck in the back of my mind.

http://koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmeric...-Kit-(Yellow)/

I trust Koni so I am more than happy with this, especially with the multiple deals/discounts and very affordable shipping
Jump to top J-ReaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-13-2018, 03:39:08 AM   #263
EricSMG
40 something

United States

That's probably the only time I've ever seen an advertised Koni Shock dyno.^^ the OE rebound curve is way wrong, though, for either the front or rear. That looks like a non M OE curve.

Kinda cool, and aligns with the dynos I had done (konis).

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-13-2018, 09:20:22 PM   #264
SLOWER

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
You didn't set them the same.
Do it again.
Redid it 3 times. According to Koni this is normal until they get on the car. We'll see...
Jump to top SLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-13-2018, 10:41:27 PM   #265
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
Redid it 3 times. According to Koni this is normal until they get on the car. We'll see...
Some difference is normal. Like, when one is fully extended the other is at 3/4 extended... but closing in quickly.

Old Sun, Mar-18-2018, 08:21:18 PM   #266
Mystical

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ReaL View Post
Thanks to the poster who shared the Koni link with the rebate, checked that out it's happening until the end of May which is awesome I'm definitely gonna pick up a set before that's over.

This looks legit as well they have an option that includes a set of eibachs with it for $928, which was a few dollars cheaper than when I added the two kits together in cart on ECS, plus the rebate. Shipping to me in Socal from ECS was estimating around $170 while direct from Koni estimated less than $50.

M3 Coupe & Vert (complete kit) $1,600 list - $928 Koni online + rebate:
http://koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmeric...=183&mk=6&mt=1

"Complete car-set kits consisting of KONl high performance, adjustable Sport shocks, struts and precisely fitting Eibach lowering springs."

Haha I like the way they put that "precisely fitting" gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Especially that Koni has decided for me, making this an easy decision between Eibach, H&R or some of the other good options discussed here previously. Because honestly in reading all the pages of this thread I was still very torn lol, was leaning towards Eibach, but H&R was still firmly stuck in the back of my mind.

http://koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmeric...-Kit-(Yellow)/

I trust Koni so I am more than happy with this, especially with the multiple deals/discounts and very affordable shipping
Free shipping from Tire Rack and a little cheaper too. Do they have an M3F discount on top of that?
Jump to top Mystical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-25-2018, 07:51:17 PM   #267
Toasty

In the garage:

United States

Alright, I thought I'd try bumping this recent discussion instead of starting yet another suspension thread. Sorry for the wall of text.

I'm planning to refresh my suspension soon-ish. Like the OP, I am looking for something that can be daily driven. Unlike the OP, I do plan to go the track at some point. After spending a great deal of time reading through this thread and many others like it, I'm now leaning towards something from Bilstein, either the HD shocks with my original factory springs, or a PSS10 kit. The issue is I'm not sure which is better for my needs, nor am I sure what other suspension bits I should be worrying about.

1. I am planning to track the car eventually, but that will be at an undetermined point in the future. I will be hitting up the backroads ASAP with this new suspension however.
2. When I finally do go the the track, I plan on getting camber plates beforehand, because tires are expensive.
3. The car doesn't actually get driven that much, all things considered, so I'm more forgiving of a less civil ride
4. I want reasonable ground clearance and would prefer to not slam the car

Since Vorshlag is a reputable Bilstein dealer/suspension retailer, I called them with my dilemma, and they pointed me towards the PSS10 with camber plates, saying HD + stock spring probably won't cut it for track use. However, the PSS10 are around $1000 more than HD's with my stock springs, and $1K buys a lot of other suspension refresh parts.

1. Are the PSS10 worth the cost over the HD + stock springs for my needs? (Needs being a street car/canyon car/eventual novice HDPE car)
2. With either of these options, could I install the camber plates later down the road, or should they all go in at once?
3. Is there an easy way to determine what other suspension components are due for replacing as well? Some stuff was replaced about 15K miles ago, so I don't want to just refresh everything, just what is still needed. I actually have the car up on four jackstands at the moment, so this would be an ideal time for me to inspect if I can.

I appreciate the forum's always useful input!
Jump to top Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-25-2018, 10:07:23 PM   #268
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Alright, I thought I'd try bumping this recent discussion instead of starting yet another suspension thread. Sorry for the wall of text.

I'm planning to refresh my suspension soon-ish. Like the OP, I am looking for something that can be daily driven. Unlike the OP, I do plan to go the track at some point. After spending a great deal of time reading through this thread and many others like it, I'm now leaning towards something from Bilstein, either the HD shocks with my original factory springs, or a PSS10 kit. The issue is I'm not sure which is better for my needs, nor am I sure what other suspension bits I should be worrying about.

1. I am planning to track the car eventually, but that will be at an undetermined point in the future. I will be hitting up the backroads ASAP with this new suspension however.
2. When I finally do go the the track, I plan on getting camber plates beforehand, because tires are expensive.
3. The car doesn't actually get driven that much, all things considered, so I'm more forgiving of a less civil ride
4. I want reasonable ground clearance and would prefer to not slam the car

Since Vorshlag is a reputable Bilstein dealer/suspension retailer, I called them with my dilemma, and they pointed me towards the PSS10 with camber plates, saying HD + stock spring probably won't cut it for track use. However, the PSS10 are around $1000 more than HD's with my stock springs, and $1K buys a lot of other suspension refresh parts.

1. Are the PSS10 worth the cost over the HD + stock springs for my needs? (Needs being a street car/canyon car/eventual novice HDPE car)
2. With either of these options, could I install the camber plates later down the road, or should they all go in at once?
3. Is there an easy way to determine what other suspension components are due for replacing as well? Some stuff was replaced about 15K miles ago, so I don't want to just refresh everything, just what is still needed. I actually have the car up on four jackstands at the moment, so this would be an ideal time for me to inspect if I can.

I appreciate the forum's always useful input!
Fwiw the hds are shite. The car rolls on hds. Quick directional changes upset the car and it feels less planted than on stock shocks. Its more comfy though.
Pss10s are amazing tbh. Even on full soft the car is like a slate of marbel sliding down the road.
Konis are the best value for money.
All the rest are pretty much the same.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-25-2018, 11:06:25 PM   #269
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Ohlins R&T?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-25-2018, 11:47:05 PM   #270
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Fwiw the hds are shite. The car rolls on hds. Quick directional changes upset the car and it feels less planted than on stock shocks. Its more comfy though.
Pss10s are amazing tbh. Even on full soft the car is like a slate of marbel sliding down the road.
Konis are the best value for money.
All the rest are pretty much the same.
Not even close. The HDs are extremely stout with far more low speed rebound than Konis even cranked to full stiff (have you seen my shock dyno thread?). You must be thinking of something else or had a blown set, perhaps. HDs with a mild spring like Dinan or Eibach give razor sharp response with amazing high speed stability.

But I would not run them with stock springs. Konis work best with stock springs.

Edit - you might be talking about the twin tube B4s?

PSS10 is good for non super low ride heights. RT is good, too, but requires a low ride height and don't play nice with camber plates (limited droop problem - Obioban learned the hard way). TCK is nice but not cheap and requires camber plates (lame, IMO).

Last edited by EricSMG; Mon, Mar-26-2018 at 12:00:28 AM.