BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Aug-12-2013, 06:19:14 AM   #21
hritter

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Lasso water pump: YES or NO?

$150 for a Laso pump? Where is this coming from? I have to change mine out and I was going to go oem but at that price...
Jump to top hritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Aug-12-2013, 06:33:42 AM   #22
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

This might be one of the rare cases where aftermarket is preferable to oe. The photo of the oe pump on the ecs website appears to show a plastic impeller. Plastic impellers on oe water pumps are known to spin on s50 and s52 engines. When my radiator failed, my oe pump was replaced with an aftermarket water pump with a metal impeller. If the oe water pumps are rebuilt, that's another strike. If the aftermarket water pumps are new and have a metal impeller, I would go for one of them instead.
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-12-2013, 06:36:31 AM   #23
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrem View Post
You guys seriously make me laugh.

So much misinformation on this damn site.

Ive been through two OEM pumps on my car and I only have around 66k on i now.

Both OEM pumps had bearing failure. Premature if I might add.

Ended up going with Saleri which is basically a re-branded Laso. Zero complaints from me.

I have a review for it floating around somwhere on here. I honestly believe the quality is on par if not superior to the OEM unit. Main difference is a Composite (plastic) impeller on the OEM and a Metal impeller on the Saleri/Laso

For a $150 for a new pump for the S54 you'd be an idiot not to do it.

Ya all need to stop being OEM nut huggers and realize there are other suitable OE options out there.

Saleri/Laso pump with OEM gasket and you'll be just fine.
Yah, what he said.
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-12-2013, 06:37:34 AM   #24
hritter

In the garage:

Canada

I honestly dont mind if it's oe or not, especially if it's only $150 for the Laso, I just caant find that price anywhere...
Jump to top hritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-12-2013, 01:27:24 PM   #25
Hacksaw
What broke now?

In the garage:

United States

I just replaced an OE water pump. 1st one to come off the car since it was built. Had 108k miles on it. It was wobbly and starting to dribble but still worked until I removed it this weekend. All part of my 100k cooling system refresh. For me that speaks volumes for the OE pump side of this discussion.
Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6MT|FS CSL Custom TUNE -MSS54HP|CSL Replica Airbox|Euro Headers|BimmerWorld 3.5" race front Y and resonator|Hacksaw's custom 3.5" SS exhaust system w/Magnaflow and 4 tipped goodness|SGT RS-ENR Coilover Kit|Evo Sport Performance Pulley Set|CDV Delete|UUC USS & DSSR|Sparco Roadster Seats|StopTech ST-40 BBKs on all 4|Beisan Systems vanos rebuild w/original stock exhaust hub|Kirk 4 point roll bar|CF CSL Rep Trunk|GC Race F/R Sway Bars|TR Motorsports MT-1|Avin Avant 2|Seibon CF GTR Hood

Jump to top Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2013, 01:45:22 AM   #26
Jtrem

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
I just replaced an OE water pump. 1st one to come off the car since it was built. Had 108k miles on it. It was wobbly and starting to dribble but still worked until I removed it this weekend. All part of my 100k cooling system refresh. For me that speaks volumes for the OE pump side of this discussion.
It's the luck of the draw. My OE pump failed badly at mid 50k

I've seen pumps fail very prematurely and some cars with well over a 100k on the original pump.
Jump to top Jtrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2013, 02:36:18 AM   #27
RedM3/4

United States

EVERY design on the S52 seems to have about a 60k mile life, EVERY one of them. OE plastic, stamped metal, cast metal, later "composite" plastic.
The cast metal one I put on the 98M3 went almost exactly 60k miles.

The S54 pumps seem to go way longer.
I can't speak to aftermarket brands, but remember, BMW doesn't make water pumps, they source them to folks that do make them. With the one-off, freaky design for the S54, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see both the original and later, larger bearing part number ALL to come out of the same factory then re-branded. I'm NOT saying it is the case, I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me.

ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
This might be one of the rare cases where aftermarket is preferable to oe. The photo of the oe pump on the ecs website appears to show a plastic impeller. Plastic impellers on oe water pumps are known to spin on s50 and s52 engines. When my radiator failed, my oe pump was replaced with an aftermarket water pump with a metal impeller. If the oe water pumps are rebuilt, that's another strike. If the aftermarket water pumps are new and have a metal impeller, I would go for one of them instead.
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2013, 02:53:13 AM   #28
dtmpowerjc
dtmpowerjc

United States

If anybody is interested I have a oem one for sale on eBay I'd say it's 80% good. Works perfectly.
http://*******/14In1gK
Jump to top dtmpowerjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2013, 04:26:33 AM   #29
RedM3/4

United States

So it's 20% bad? Yeah, that's what I want, LOL! I think you're probably against forum guidelines selling to another site too.

ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmpowerjc View Post
If anybody is interested I have a oem one for sale on eBay I'd say it's 80% good. Works perfectly.
http://*******/14In1gK
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2013, 04:29:09 AM   #30
dtmpowerjc
dtmpowerjc

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
So it's 20% bad? Yeah, that's what I want, LOL! I think you're probably against forum guidelines selling to another site too.

ADS
Dude was just trying to help I'm not a parts seller I changed it out when I purchased ecs level 3 kit and when I removed it, the pump seems like my new one so with use I would say it's almost new 80% new. All you guys love to do is create drama wow.
Jump to top dtmpowerjc is offline   Reply With Quote