BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, May-03-2019, 12:46:20 AM   #1
sapote

United States

Default SMG Brushless motor

This 350 watts motor 80RBL03A costs $60 or less in quantity, with shaft OD=12mm, body OD=60mm, and length=100mm. It’s perfect to drive the pump. If someone want to commercial this product I can help to provide the driver circuit or you can buy the driver below for $45.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...5294544bT1rWg6

Driver:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLD-300B-BL...4383.l4275.c10

Motor has 6 wires to be connected to the driver. This driver has motor motion control than you need for this ON/OFF application.

W,V,U are 3 phase wiring to be connected to driver. They supply the motor current.
HW, HV, HU (or A, B, C) are the 3 Hall sensor signals for brushless cummutation. They serve as the brushes/commutator in the brush motor. They tells the driver when to switch the W,V,U currents.

DC+ and DC- of the driver connected to 12V and GND. The driver should have a RUN signal input to command the driver when to run or stop the motor.

So total around $100 or less in quantity and will outlast the life of the car.

Might need to make the mounting flange for the existing motor mounting.

Last edited by sapote; Fri, May-03-2019 at 01:53:56 AM.
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 12:59:00 AM   #2
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SMG Brushless motor

What makes you think a cheap brushless motor from chinachinachina and cheap driver is going to last longer than the solutions we have now? Between the constant cycling, heat and vibration I doubt you'll see it last like the OEM one.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 01:00:43 AM   #3
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

The shaft needs to be machined to match the pump drive

Build thread---------- INSTAGRAM ------------ROTREX REBUILD-------------Now offering custom digital gauges

2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - SDW monoball RTABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + TTFS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 01:01:58 AM   #4
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
What makes you think a cheap brushless motor from chinachinachina and cheap driver is going to last longer than the solutions we have now? Between the constant cycling, heat and vibration I doubt you'll see it last like the OEM one.
I believe because it's brushless, the brushes & commutator wear normally what kill this motor

Build thread---------- INSTAGRAM ------------ROTREX REBUILD-------------Now offering custom digital gauges

2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - SDW monoball RTABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + TTFS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 01:03:04 AM   #5
Aeko

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
At this point it's kind of a cheap R&D deal... if it winds up that we can find a more reliable long-term solution with more engineering, why not? The point here is sapote is trying to utilize a brushless motor that *might* have a better longevity in the types of conditions the SMG pump undergoes.

-edit-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokgo20 View Post
The shaft needs to be machined to match the pump drive
Also this. Or do like SMG Society does and just grind the f*%$er so it fits.

If you wanna make REAL donuts, run Crisco in your diff.
Jump to top Aeko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 01:12:00 AM   #6
sapote

United States

90% of all motors are now made in China, and all the electronic components inside your iphone or TV or cars. I don't think it's cheap = low quality. Motors are just copper wires and magnets and bearings.

The driver has FETs made by either STM, Infineon, or International Rectifier, On Semiconductor, NXP. They are not cheap Chinese chips but all were made in China, Thailand, Vietnam.

I designed motor/motion controller (as this ebay driver but custom designed to fit in smaller package like inside a movie camera) for a living, and I can tell this motor is a good quality based on its solid AL housing and machine finish. Cheap stuffs have sheet metal or pot metal housing. The drivers not cheap stuffs either but probably surplus goods from CNC controllers.

Last edited by sapote; Fri, May-03-2019 at 01:17:51 AM.
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 01:37:11 AM   #7
sapote

United States

This is one of the motor that I designed -- electrical spec'd and mechanical. The beauty of the brushless is the rotor magnet and the field wiwing stator. This is in total opposite with a brush motor with magnet stator and coil wiring as rotor which cannot transfer the heat to the housing effectively. The motor I designed has only 3 wires and no Hall signals but using a microprocessor to read the motor encoder and commutate the 3 phase wires and control motor speed-- precise enough to sync the 24 frames per second pictures with the audio recorder.

So motors and controllers is not new to me.

A little more on this special motor: the stator coil wirings were potted in Epoxy to prevent any vibration of the copper coils. We bought the motor as frameless -- no housing no shaft no bearings but just the coil stator and the magnet rotor, then we designed the custom housing, shaft and bearings. It has to be very quiet to prevent motor noise recorded on the movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bldc-small.jpg (568.7 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by sapote; Fri, May-03-2019 at 01:49:23 AM.
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 03:47:54 AM   #8
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

That's pretty Cool...

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 04:58:21 AM   #9
Blaikenstein

In the garage:

United States

Find an upgraded accumulator and make a frankenSMG!

I love seeing experiments play out
Jump to top Blaikenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 05:32:52 AM   #10
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapote View Post
90% of all motors are now made in China, and all the electronic components inside your iphone or TV or cars. I don't think it's cheap = low quality. Motors are just copper wires and magnets and bearings.

The driver has FETs made by either STM, Infineon, or International Rectifier, On Semiconductor, NXP. They are not cheap Chinese chips but all were made in China, Thailand, Vietnam.

I designed motor/motion controller (as this ebay driver but custom designed to fit in smaller package like inside a movie camera) for a living, and I can tell this motor is a good quality based on its solid AL housing and machine finish. Cheap stuffs have sheet metal or pot metal housing. The drivers not cheap stuffs either but probably surplus goods from CNC controllers.
Yeah I get that but there are different levels of quality and I have no idea what r and d went into this brushless wonder and driver for 100 dollars. I just have my doubts is all. My oem one lasted 180k. Point was I dont know if going to alliboobi and ebay is the best choice for a critical component that is heavily used and abused. Maybe it is. Only one way to find out.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote